Kicker Hideaway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I would like to do one in My RCSB.

Will this model work?

NEW KICKER 11HS8 8" 150W Hideaway

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was actually going to start a new thread asking about the Hideaway!
Has anyone heard or possibly felt one of these in person? My truck has the factory Alpine radio with subwoofer. Can I install the Hideaway and use it along with the Alpine sub? Or is it one or the other?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to Booms for piggybacking on his thread. :)

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've installed it many times. Adding it to the Alpine system is a waste IMO, and you would have difficulties with it sounding correct. The Alpine has better output, but the Kicker isn't bad. I really only prefer to install in single cab trucks.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
If you can tap the Hideaway into a working speaker that has a full range freq, it will add some low end. You can do remote, or DC offset

I used one in my regular cab, factory radio, replaced doors with Kicker KS6934's, sounded great until I took it out and did custom install.

Last edited:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you can tap the Hideaway into a working speaker that has a full range freq, it will add some low end. You can do remote, or DC offset

I used one in my regular cab, factory radio, replaced doors with Kicker KS6934's, sounded great until I took it out and did custom install.

That's good to hear. I have the 3.5" KS in the dash, 6.5" CS in the doors, and will be putting the same CS in the rear. I have a Hideaway waiting to go in too. The Grand Cherokee I had before had the Mopar Kicker upgrade speakers/amp and a 10w6v2 on a 500/1. I'm OK with taking a step down in favor of simplicity, but I need a little something better than stock. Hopefully the Hideaway gives me enough to be satisfied.

warbat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC 4wd
Engine
I had one in my 2011 QC and have yet to put it in my 2015 CC. Honestly I am pretty disappointed in it. It does an ok job of filling in the bottom end but it is not a whole lot more bass than your door 6x9's. My wife got it for me for my birthday and I feel obligated to install it. Im not sure if ill even notice a difference compared to the basic audio system, let alone the alpine premium auto. To me it is not worth the effort to install it. I highly recommend spending a little bit more money for a simple 10" sub and amp combo. Even something like a el cheapo kicker comp 10 has considerably more output and probably equal audio quality.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had one in my 2011 QC and have yet to put it in my 2015 CC. Honestly I am pretty disappointed in it. It does an ok job of filling in the bottom end but it is not a whole lot more bass than your door 6x9's. My wife got it for me for my birthday and I feel obligated to install it. Im not sure if ill even notice a difference compared to the basic audio system, let alone the alpine premium auto. To me it is not worth the effort to install it. I highly recommend spending a little bit more money for a simple 10" sub and amp combo. Even something like a el cheapo kicker comp 10 has considerably more output and probably equal audio quality.

well it is only an 8" sub with 150watts, and its slim enough to fit under the drivers seat. Its not intended to shake all the windows, but more of a fill on low end. Probably one of the most popular powered subs we make. A great add on for OEM stock systems.
A 10" and amp is a good idea, but its more install than under a seat and tap into a speaker wire. More deeper bass, but more involved.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, I bought one of these a while back and am just now getting around to installing it. I've got everything hooked up, but I'm getting nothing out of it. I have it connected to both rear speakers, so the input is set for high level and the turn-on is DC. It turns on (blue light) when I turn on the radio, but doesn't make a sound.

I bought it used, so I'm pretty sure I just have a junk unit. But, I figured I'd check and see if anyone encountered any odd issues in their trucks that might point to something else.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Rear speakers still play fine?

Yeah. Rear speakers are good. My connections to them are soldered and heatshrunk so I'm pretty confident in the quality of the connection.

For another test I connected the speaker wires to an LC2i and ran the output of that into the Hideaway (with input switch set to low level). I didn't have the adapter to use RCAs with the Hideaway so I just had some alligator clip leads connected. But, I still think it should have worked.

One thing to note, though, is that the LC2i didn't turn on automatically by detecting the input signal. I had to supply power to the turn-on lead to get it to power on. So, there may be something weird going on with the signals from my radio. I know the polarity was correct when connected to the Hideaway but it was late and dark when I tried the LC2i so I could have reversed them. It's still hooked up so I'll check tonight.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it powers on just get rca to 3.5 cable... plug rcas into the hideaway and play music off your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If it powers on just get rca to 3.5 cable... plug rcas into the hideaway and play music off your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hideaway has no RCA inputs. It annoyingly uses the same wires for high and low level inputs. I'm going to rig up a 3.5mm that I can just connect to the wires. Phone (or back in the day, Discman. lol) straight to the RCAs was an easy way to test an amp.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Did it come with the wiring harness?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did it come with the wiring harness?

The regular one that comes with it? Yes. I don't have the optional ZISL one listed in the manual though.

I just hooked it up to my phone and I still get nothing. I only hooked up one channel this time, but I'd expect it to still work.

It looks like I may have got scammed. I should have tested it when I got it; I know better. [emoji17]

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Welp, it's official. She's dead. As soon as I cracked it open I knew by the smell that it wasn't good. The amp and all the controls are fine, but the voice coil is open.