Kicker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I'm thinking about doing the kicker upgrade, I just have a question about which is better to go with.. The mopar direct ones or the normal kickers? Is there a difference in sound/quality at all? Oh btw I have a 13' quad cab with the base audio :)

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Well the Mopar factory fit ones plug directly into the OEM factory harness. Pop door panels off, pull stock ones out and replace. There is a 6x9 and tweeter kit for door/dash, and you can add a powered 10" sub as well, that bolts to all factory connections and seatbolts, and when seat is down, all hidden.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go "aftermarket" be sure to get the harness adapters. Crutchfield has them. Eliminates splicing into an already pretty short harness especially in the dash. "Aftermarket" Kickers have a deep magnet. Meaning you may need to space them out or trim some plastic inside the door. There are a few posts on here specifically for the kicker speakers. I had to remove some plastic from the front inner door to get the 6x9s in and I had to use spacers because the magnet was pretty deep and kept hitting the supports. Keep in mind I have a Crew Cab, not sure if it is different for a QC in the front doors.

OP
OP
Cynix

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
So... I got quoted 2700 dollars from the stealership for the total package on the mopar kickers.. Can you say insane? Looks like I'll be going aftermarket just wondering if you can buy the spacers needed or do you have to fab them yourself?

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So... I got quoted 2700 dollars from the stealership for the total package on the mopar kickers.. Can you say insane? Looks like I'll be going aftermarket just wondering if you can buy the spacers needed or do you have to fab them yourself?

WOW!

Amazon has them for $111 and they bolt right up without modification or spacers.
2011-2012 DODGE RAM 1500 2500 3500 KICKER SPEAKER UPGRADE QUAD/CREW FRONT MOPAR : Amazon.com : Automotive
And the dash are cheap too!Amazon.com: Kicker 11ds35 3.5 Coaxil Speakers Pair Rohs Co: Car Electronics

Just get the adapters for the dash speakers from crutchfield. the speakers fit right in, but the adapters make them plug right in to the factory wires. Don't need them for the doors, the mopar kickers have the factory connector on them.

Oh, and here is the dash speaker adapters:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12071039/Speaker-Wiring-Harnesses.html?tp=3097#customer-reviews-tab

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cynix

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
WOW!

Amazon has them for $111 and they bolt right up without modification or spacers.
2011-2012 DODGE RAM 1500 2500 3500 KICKER SPEAKER UPGRADE QUAD/CREW FRONT MOPAR : Amazon.com : Automotive
And the dash are cheap too!Amazon.com: Kicker 11ds35 3.5 Coaxil Speakers Pair Rohs Co: Car Electronics

Just get the adapters for the dash speakers from crutchfield. the speakers fit right in, but the adapters make them plug right in to the factory wires. Don't need them for the doors, the mopar kickers have the factory connector on them.

Oh, and here is the dash speaker adapters:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12071039/Speaker-Wiring-Harnesses.html?tp=3097#customer-reviews-tab

Nice! Your awesome! Thanks for the links buddy :) Makin me lazy an whatnot!

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, I'd rather go normal kicker vs mopar direct because I'd imagine the normal one's are way better than the mopar version. Plus, after running a set of 6x9's in my front doors for a couple months, I swapped them out for 6.5" composites and the sound was way better than the 6x9's.

My standard recommendation is the KS35's in dash, KS6.2's in front doors, and KS693's in rear doors. That combination of speakers works fantastic.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
2700.....wtf?

OP
OP
Cynix

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Personally, I'd rather go normal kicker vs mopar direct because I'd imagine the normal one's are way better than the mopar version. Plus, after running a set of 6x9's in my front doors for a couple months, I swapped them out for 6.5" composites and the sound was way better than the 6x9's.

My standard recommendation is the KS35's in dash, KS6.2's in front doors, and KS693's in rear doors. That combination of speakers works fantastic.

Do you need a spacer still with the ks6.2?

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just this guy Metra 82-6901 (met-826901) 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" Speaker to 6" x 9"

You can install the speaker and the tweeter on that sucker and mount it to the factory location. Very quick and easy to do. Just have to find a good spot to mount the crossover to the inside of the door. Would post pictures of where I mounted mine but I did the install when I was having problems with my cell phone and I ended up with no pictures.

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He could run an active set up and drop the crossover all together. I personally like the sound of active vs. passive.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The Mopar is plug and play, you can do it yourself, it takes an expeditor about 2 hours to install.

OP
OP
Cynix

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi

are you running this setup amped or do you think i could get away with it unamped for now at least

dwex314

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum here. I'm wrestling the issue with the alpine system in my 2015 Ram Sport. I know this has been beat to death by many forums but from what I'm reading its kinda 50/50. I'm wanting to upgrade the entire system except for the subwoofer. I know about the plug and play adapters from crutch field for aftermarket and I know about the MOPAR kicker system that is available. What I'm wrestling with is the 2 ohm to 4 ohm situation. Some say stick with 2, some have gone with 4, others say it doesn't matter. From what I have gathered the ones that went with the 4 ohm didn't have any volume or system issues. The Mopar kickers are 4 ohm. Any thoughts on this matter would be very helpful, thank you!

Reginald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replace all 6 speakers with kicker for crutchfield, They sent every thing I need for the install for under 220.00. Like the way it sound,dash speaker and other speaker makes a big difference from stock. Very happy with sound,amps and subs soon.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Just replace all 6 speakers with kicker for crutchfield, They sent every thing I need for the install for under 220.00. Like the way it sound,dash speaker and other speaker makes a big difference from stock. Very happy with sound,amps and subs soon.

I did the same thing, I had to add 4ohm 10 watt resistors to the positive side of the dash speakers because they are 8 ohm not 4. Just remember to tape all exposed wiring to prevent shorts. I am very happy with the sound and the bass!!

Chad1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litre HEMI
I was also quoted an insane price for the Kicker upgrade, they told me $1800 plus tax not including install. I laughed when they gave me the quote and I said I'd go elsewhere but instead I'm doing it myself. I ordered a better set of Kickers than they offer at Mopar and eventually I'll get a 12" Sub that is 1000W or more instead of the 200W that comes with the Mopar Kicker package. If you still want to have the sub under your seat, you can get the empty boxes on eBay. I'd say go with aftermarket so you don't break the bank and you can get better quality.