Kinda disappointed with stereo performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowhunter74201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got my truck just a few days ago, but i've had it long enough to tinker with it and familiarize myself with things. one thing i'm less than impressed with is the performance of the alpine audio system. it just doesn't have any balls. i've played with the eq trying to make it better, which i did slightly, but still nowhere near what i'd like to get out of it. is there something i'm missing in the settings somewhere, or is this system just a bit on the weak side?

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
It's a bit on the weak and flat side.

A lot of people upgrade the front door and dash speakers as well as the sub to get a cleaner sound. Not that it'll be louder, just considerably cleaner. Adding an amp to an aftermarket sub definitely livens it up a good bit.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like a chore, but a few hundred bucks for a new set of front door and dash speakers will really change the sounds drastically. You can just change the speakers but the dash and doors are in parallel off the same channel so they will draw off eachother. So the small 3.5 will soak up the power the big 6x9 wants. So an amp makes it an easier chore.

OP
OP
B

Bowhunter74201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok so it isn't just something i can tweak or some check box i missed somewhere to turn the sub on or something. thanks guys.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok so it isn't just something i can tweak or some check box i missed somewhere to turn the sub on or something. thanks guys.

if its not a higher end with the alpine there is no magic "loudness" button like on aftermarket head units. In order to get better sounds you gotta upgrade.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It took some time but i tweaked the settings and i got something i like. and that is coming from someone who would tear out the audio the same day as i would buy a car. I ran high end speakers/amp for many years in the 2000's and the alpine in my '15 laramie i left stock.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It took some time but i tweaked the settings and i got something i like. and that is coming from someone who would tear out the audio the same day as i would buy a car. I ran high end speakers/amp for many years in the 2000's and the alpine in my '15 laramie i left stock.

curious as to what settings you have? I keep playing with me Eq trying to find a happy place

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I honestly think the Alpine system is hit or miss in these trucks. My '13 Laramie it sounded like crap, very muddy, lacking bass. The Alpine in my '17 Sport sounds 100% better. Much more bass, cleaner mids and highs. It's by no means as good as aftermarket, but significantly better than my last truck.

Maybe we play the speaker lottery with these systems.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problems with my '13 Laramie - again coming from a stereo professional. I have no urge to swap it out. However, I have found it can sound significantly better on certain sources. SiriusXM is hit or miss per channel, and iPod sounds a ton better.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 CC 4x4 Longhorn Offroad
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am pretty happy with the Alpine in my 2016. my days of rolling around with 2 12's and 1000's of watts are long gone. I now just want clear sound with decent bass, and this system fills that need perfectly.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pretty happy with the Alpine in my 2016. my days of rolling around with 2 12's and 1000's of watts are long gone. I now just want clear sound with decent bass, and this system fills that need perfectly.

Same here with my 2016 Alpine stock system....and with OEM I don't have to worry about some skid stalking me to steal my stereo when I'm not looking.

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i got my truck just a few days ago, but i've had it long enough to tinker with it and familiarize myself with things. one thing i'm less than impressed with is the performance of the alpine audio system. it just doesn't have any balls. i've played with the eq trying to make it better, which i did slightly, but still nowhere near what i'd like to get out of it. is there something i'm missing in the settings somewhere, or is this system just a bit on the weak side?

I was a bit unimpressed with the Alpine system when I first got it as well. I upgraded the dash speakers with some Infinity REF3022CFX and it totally changed the front sound stage. It's much brighter and clearer now and sounds really good. The bass is lacking, but the front door 6x9s give a good amount of midbass, which helps a lot. Granted it doesn't hit as hard as the 2 JL Audio 12W3s that I used to have, but it's ok for being a little 8" sub.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After reading that thread I'm starting to think that the OEM Alpine system in some trucks may have the factory sub wired out of phase with the rest of the speakers. Not all trucks, but some trucks. It would explain why my new truck's factory system has so much more bass than my last truck. Also why some people complain about the lack of bass and it sounding very very muddy.

Some people in that thread had to reverse the wiring on that metra adapter to get the Pioneer sub in proper phase.

Rfrmd_blk_smkr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I knew from listening to an Alpine I wasn't going to be satisfied so I chose a LoneStar Mega over a Laramie CC. I had subs and two amps from my last truck so I had some decent door/dash components put in and a new box built. While I don't have all the control I want it is a lot better than any stock system. But this is a dangerous bug to catch. 28+ years later and never satisfied...

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
My 13 has the 8.4 and alpine premium. After adding some better speakers sounds amazing. I added 2 (2ohm) infinity in each front corner, 1 (2.3ohm) jbl GX series for center(to even out sound) GX is a little less bright so made system more even. I added a bazooka tube 8 inch dvc 2 ohm replacement sub in stock box(fit perfect) filled box with poly fill. Then added jbl p963 3 way 6x9s in rear doors(2 ohm also). Total cost with harnesses was about $230, can play system at full volume and is crystal clear. Next doing some sound deadening, front doors speakers sound good, just some minor rattle on drivers side the sound deadening should fix.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
another thing i have to gripe about is the rattle in my f***ing driver door master switch. anyone else experience this when the stock sub thumps? ive already had a new door panel replaced through warranty but didnt change anything. waiting for some time off to go back and have it looked at again.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 13 has the 8.4 and alpine premium. After adding some better speakers sounds amazing. I added 2 (2ohm) infinity in each front corner, 1 (2.3ohm) jbl GX series for center(to even out sound) GX is a little less bright so made system more even. I added a bazooka tube 8 inch dvc 2 ohm replacement sub in stock box(fit perfect) filled box with poly fill. Then added jbl p963 3 way 6x9s in rear doors(2 ohm also). Total cost with harnesses was about $230, can play system at full volume and is crystal clear. Next doing some sound deadening, front doors speakers sound good, just some minor rattle on drivers side the sound deadening should fix.

some pictures of what you did with the sub would be awesome. thats the least satisfying part of my 2017's system.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Sub replaced with bazooka in OEM box.

Attachments

• IMG_20171019_144647.jpg
    IMG_20171019_144647.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20171019_162118.jpg
    IMG_20171019_162118.jpg