License plate light out message - LED related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I still have a message with the Retro-Solutions bulbs.

That's rather unusual. Has either of you checked with retro-solutions to see what's up? They're really helpful via e-mail, and I believe they have a subforum here.

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've ran the SuperBrightLED's on my 13 with the premium cluster and my 14 with the basic cluster and never received an error message. Now you can put the bulbs in the wrong way. If this was the case they wouldn't power on. This is the case for all Can Bus bulbs that I've ran.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what they told me,
"
Thank you for your order information.
We have found that on the 2013+ Ram's that use the 7440 fitment bulbs do need LED load resistors to avoid having the bulb out indicators from coming on.
Here is the link for what you would need.

1x LED Load Resistors:
http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?LED_Load_Resistor_pair-pid618.html"

Just for reference, the 7440 is the reverse bulb used in the LED tails. Not sure if the same goes for the non-LED tails.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Just for reference, the 7440 is the reverse bulb used in the LED tails. Not sure if the same goes for the non-LED tails.
Okay, that's the difference. I have non-LED tails. They told me the same thing when I mistakenly ordered the 7440s instead of the other ones for mine.

Yup, you'll need the resistors.

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for mine, since even though I have the premium cluster, but the non-LED tails I shouldnt have the issue of needing a resistor? Is it likely a matter of needing different reverse LED's? Hate to keep buying a bunch of LED's to only get the error message again.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
So for mine, since even though I have the premium cluster, but the non-LED tails I shouldnt have the issue of needing a resistor? Is it likely a matter of needing different reverse LED's? Hate to keep buying a bunch of LED's to only get the error message again.

I wouldn't think you'd need anything different than I have, which is the retro-solutions CREE ones. But the 13-LED SuperBrightLEDs CAN-BUS ones also worked in mine as well. I'd have to guess the cluster's making it picky, but I'm not sure of the solution.

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any way that you know of to reset the error messages? Maybe something tripped up during the install that caused it. Who knows. I might have to reach out to retro-solutions to see if they think their bulbs would fix the issue.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Any way that you know of to reset the error messages? Maybe something tripped up during the install that caused it. Who knows. I might have to reach out to retro-solutions to see if they think their bulbs would fix the issue.

Not me, but hopefully retro-solutions (or someone else here) will have a suggestion.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I bought these same ones but red for my 3rd brake light and I'm getting the brake light out message. It comes on when I 1st start it...stays on for about 5 seconds then goes off. I thought the can-bus leds wouldn't do this??? Really annoyed right now.
Questions:
1) Do you have factory LED tallights?
2) Do you have the enhanced dashboard cluster?

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Yes to both. I have the Ram Sport.
With a double-whammy like that, you very well may need a resistor, but I'd contact SuperBrightLEDs and see what they say. They were pretty helpful when I asked them some questions, but it took a couple days to get an answer.

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I emailed Retro-Solutions yesterday and received a reply back regarding my backup lights. I havent asked about the license plate bulbs yet.

Here was their response:
Hello Scott,

The bulbs available for your tail lamps will offer much more usable light output by comparison to those bulbs you have for sure. However if your truck is programmed with the bulb out indicators for the reverse lamps, it will likely need LED Load Resistors installed to turn that off. The resistance needed would not be able to be built into a bulb itself due to the heat it naturally produces.

1x 921/T15 CREE Reverse (side emitter):
921 912 906 T15 5W CREE LED Reverse Wedge Bulbs - Retro-Solutions Store
1x LED Load Resistors:
- please select the "36 Ohm (application specific)" option for fitment/function
LED Load Resistor pair - Retro-Solutions Store

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was curious and sent an email to Superbrightleds.com technical support about the can-bus led lights. For some reason, they replied back twice. Below are the two emails as direct quotes. I think it’s really weird that they say the Ram doesn’t require the can-bus led lights…I think he’s completely wrong which puts into question everything he says. The two emails were a minute apart from each other.

“Hello Chade

So the fact that it is cold there has nothing to do with the bulb warning with the start up of the vehicle, first you don't need a can-bus bulb due to the make of your vehicle.
--
Kevin E.
Customer Service Representative
Call: 1-866-590-3533
Email: [email protected]

“Hello chade

the reason for that light out warning is that your system is still looking for more current draw, so your only option is to install a internal resistor which we do not carry or just go back to incandescents
--
Kevin E.
Customer Service Representative
Call: 1-866-590-3533
Email: [email protected]

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
The bulbs available for your tail lamps will offer much more usable light output by comparison to those bulbs you have for sure. However if your truck is programmed with the bulb out indicators for the reverse lamps, it will likely need LED Load Resistors installed to turn that off. The resistance needed would not be able to be built into a bulb itself due to the heat it naturally produces.

1x 921/T15 CREE Reverse (side emitter):
921 912 906 T15 5W CREE LED Reverse Wedge Bulbs - Retro-Solutions Store
1x LED Load Resistors:
- please select the "36 Ohm (application specific)" option for fitment/function
LED Load Resistor pair - Retro-Solutions Store
Interesting. The guy I corresponded with told me that non-LED tails wouldn't need a resistor for the backup lights. But given the problems you're having, I guess your guy must have the right answer.

“[...]So the fact that it is cold there has nothing to do with the bulb warning with the start up of the vehicle, first you don't need a can-bus bulb due to the make of your vehicle.”

“the reason for that light out warning is that your system is still looking for more current draw, so your only option is to install a internal resistor which we do not carry or just go back to incandescents”
Honestly, I don't think I'd trust this either. When you use the vehicle bulb finder, it SPECIFICALLY brings up the CAN-BUS ones first. Plus everybody here has said 4th gens need the CAN-BUS ones.

When I e-mailed my questions, I got a response from a Stephanie. Maybe Kevin just idn't up to speed or something.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone tell me if the “brake light out” indication on the premium cluster should usually stay on until you replace the burnt out bulb or does it just come on for a few seconds, when you start the truck, and then shut off??

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone tell me if the “brake light out” indication on the premium cluster should usually stay on until you replace the burnt out bulb or does it just come on for a few seconds, when you start the truck, and then shut off??

It'll come on for a few seconds and then shut off. But if you scroll to the stored messages screen, it will still be in there.

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. The guy I corresponded with told me that non-LED tails wouldn't need a resistor for the backup lights. But given the problems you're having, I guess your guy must have the right answer.

That was my understanding as well. If I didn't have the LED tails, then I shouldn't need the resistors. Seems like that probably isn't the case with mine for some reason.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
That was my understanding as well. If I didn't have the LED tails, then I shouldn't need the resistors. Seems like that probably isn't the case with mine for some reason.
I'm thinking the cluster has to be the difference, since I've just got the standard one. That's my guess, anyway, and I'm sticking to it until someone with more knowledge tells me I'm full of ****. :D

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, I don't think I'd trust this either. When you use the vehicle bulb finder, it SPECIFICALLY brings up the CAN-BUS ones first. Plus everybody here has said 4th gens need the CAN-BUS ones.

When I e-mailed my questions, I got a response from a Stephanie. Maybe Kevin just idn't up to speed or something.

Yeah, I just talked to another guy (forgot his name....not Kevin though) and he seemed to know a lot more about it. He said that the different systems (across makes and even trims of the same make) have different resistance needs for that system. It’s hard to catch them all with a can-bus ready led bulb. For some reason I didn't get a “brake light out” indication today. It wasn't any warmer outside, so I do not know what was different. The guy at superbrightleds.com said that is sounds like my truck is dancing right on the cusp and when I start the truck, my voltage drops just enough in my system for a few seconds to trigger a “brake light out” indication. It makes sense to me, but I don’t know for sure.