LOC vs Hi-level input vs Lc2i?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96TL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hey guys.

I'm adding a JL HD1200 with two JL 12W6v3's in a Netaudio box in my '13 1500 Quad.

What's the best way to get a signal for the amp? I have the basic 6-speaker stereo. LOC? Use the JL hi-level inputs tapped off the front speakers? Or do I need an LC2i?

I'm also doing the Mopar Kicker speaker upgrades.

Thanks!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
The stock headunit might have a built in crossover/limited that prevents more bass reaching the speakers as the volume get higher.

I don't see where it accepts high level input, like speaker level input. It just has a selectable lower or higher level RCA input. I guess if you are tapping a speaker you will terminate that with an RCA at the amp? If so I would check the AC volts getting to the speaker when the sound is turned up. If it is between 4-8 volts you should be golden. Lower would likely need an LOC with a line driver. Higher probably means there is an amp between the source and the speaker. The LOC has to be powered and grounded with can cause its own headaches. Then tuning it to the right output level...

Personally, I would buy a $200 double din that puts out 4-5 volts through the RCA and be done with it.

BLKMAGIC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem I had wasn't the $200 double din, its all the pieces that go along with the install (Sirius, iDatalink, Harness, Dash Kit all add up) and still doesn't look as clean as the OEM setup IMO.

I am working on an install myself, and went with the Soundstream iCQ.4, can't tell you how well it works yet because I should be doing my install this coming weekend. But definitely buy a quality LOC, not a $20 cheapy.

OP
OP

96TL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The stock headunit might have a built in crossover/limited that prevents more bass reaching the speakers as the volume get higher.

I don't see where it accepts high level input, like speaker level input. It just has a selectable lower or higher level RCA input. I guess if you are tapping a speaker you will terminate that with an RCA at the amp? If so I would check the AC volts getting to the speaker when the sound is turned up. If it is between 4-8 volts you should be golden. Lower would likely need an LOC with a line driver. Higher probably means there is an amp between the source and the speaker. The LOC has to be powered and grounded with can cause its own headaches. Then tuning it to the right output level...

Personally, I would buy a $200 double din that puts out 4-5 volts through the RCA and be done with it.

The amp accepts hi level inputs thru the rca jacks. They have rca cables with speaker wire pigtails on one end.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Audiocontrol certainly makes high quality gear and they are very helpful on the phone. You are going to have to tap the speaker wire regardless the option you choose. Might as well try the easier way and tap to the high level input. If that's no good, I'm sure the LC2i will fix it. Please keep us posted how it turns out.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Hi-level

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yup, what I am using on two amps.

OP
OP

96TL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Should I tap into the front left and right speakers?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I think you should. Otherwise you will get just one channel of sound to the amp. I know that I have songs than pan left and right. Bass might not be as specific, but if you are already running wire you might as well run one more.

OP
OP

96TL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Got it. Thanks guys.