Looking for some help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a new Steel Craft Bull Bar on my '12 Ram in March. It has a built-in 20" LED light bar. Installation was quick and it looks great. I believe I may have wired it incorrectly (?) because it turns on by itself intermittently. That problem just started about a month ago. My wife came inside the house and told me my light bar was on. So, I thought maybe I accidentally bumped the switch when I was getting out of the truck. I check the switch and it was off. The light bar was on, but it was dim. I turned the switch on and back off and that took care of it. Or, so I thought. I went outside about an hour later and sure enough, it was lit up again. Not as bright as it is when I turn the switch on, it was dim. I had the negative wire attached to a common ground on the inside of the engine bay, and the positive going to the positive battery terminal. I unbolted the negative wire from the common ground and attached it to the negative terminal on the battery thinking maybe that was the problem. Same thing happened. I came back out about a half an hour later and the light bar was dimly lit. I'm not a wiring genius but the wiring harness and diagram that came with the bar was pretty straight forward. It didn't come with a headlight connector, just two battery cables, the 40a relay and the switch to mount inside the cab. I checked the wire to make sure there aren't any cuts anywhere that could cause it to ground out somewhere and couldn't find any issues. Since then I've just disconnected it until I can dive into it again. If I can't find anything obvious I'll have to take it to a local shop. It's a little weird that it was working fine since March and now this is happening. Has anyone else run into something like this or have any idea why this is happening? Thanks for your time and any help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe I found the culprit. Didn't think to check the relay. e32652f2f960bd619378c77158ecb741.jpg

countryboyco99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have to agree with you. Check the relay but looks like you did and it's fried. Did that solve the problem?

2010 Dodge Ram Quad cab 1500 4.7 with 3.55 gears.

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it did. It was the last thing I thought to check. (Of course)