Making own harness questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
So forgive me for being ignorant, but I am having an issue here. I am planning on doing the ra4 upgrade (currently have a ra1) in my 2014 express and have been looking at this for a long time now. I have seen the upgrade has progressed very well over the years and is now plug and play pretty much. All that is needed is the ra4 HU, 911 bypass, bezel, climate control module, and wiring harness. I have the 7 speed fan and was planning on making my own harness to save some cash. Is there anything special to this? I found this wiring diagram which looks rather easy http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_2013_ra3_ra4_8_4_radio_conversion_upgrade-78289/ . Is there anything else to making the harness? And also, why isn't there a cheap t-harness to allow for an aftermarket backup camera hook up? The only one I have seen is over $200 and there is no way there is $200 worth or parts there. 2 factory style plugs, wire, and rca plugs for the aftermarket camera. Am I missing something?

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i consider myself pretty handy with a wrench and wiring but the harness is a nightmare.unless you have done like computer board type wiring or anything more advanced than say installing a radio harness.i wouldn't recommend trying it.by the time you get the parts and correct tool you will have a half of the cost of a new one in it and even with the correct crimping tool it is hard to get a crimp that will not break or pull out and fit good in the connector.the m2 mod harness is better than oem and is plug and play.