My system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the '12 Big Horn 1500. I'm not exactly sure what the stock system is, it seems alright, but I wanted more. I thought only the alpine option had speakers (tweeters?) in the dash, but it seems like I can hear audio coming from it too.

Here's what I ordered:

RF 6x9 Punch series 2 way for the rear [P1692]
RF 6.5 components for the front [P1652-S]
RF Punch 10" DUAL 4 Ohm Subwoofer x2 [P3D410]
RF 750W mono amp [R750-1D]
Fox Box
--

Today the box & 6x9's arrived, so I installed the speakers & they seem pretty good. I didn't listen to just the stock rears, so I can't really compare.
Tomorrow the rest of it should arrive, I'll probably only have time to install the front speakers.

The picture of the components looks like the tweeters are separate, can I put them where the existing speakers are up in the top of the dash?

I hope I didn't make a mistake choosing the setup I did, I had some Rockford speakers a long time ago and was really happy with them.

Still waiting on the DNX9990, but until then I may take the old DNX7100 out of the intrepid and use in the ram, once the DD kit arrives.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
The component tweeters are most likely smaller than what you have in the dash currently. You could probably makes some pieces out of mdf that would allow you to mount them there still if you wanted. I got the alpine components and I mounted my tweeters in the doors up by where the mirrors are:

DSCN0569.jpg

Just have to cut a hole in the door panel...which is kind of scary I have to admit.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Sounds like a huge upgrade to stock, I doubt you will be disappointed

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What Deviate did ^^^^ is the best option. You'll have to run some wire but that's no big deal.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I really like my tweeters up in the mirror covers. taking a hole saw to the door panels sucks though

OP
OP
ajent

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can hear the difference using them & stocks vs just the dash alone?

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Any quality set of component speakers will blow the stock speakers away. And personally I like the sound better with them in the mirror covers better than in the dash. But that may just be my personal taste. I don't have any scientific evidence as to which creates the better sound stage or anything.

OP
OP
ajent

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sweet. UPS just delivered them so they'll be ready to install once i'm home. I'll wire them like yours. Thanks a lot!

Sent from my rotary phone.

OP
OP
ajent

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All speakers are installed and there is a huge reduction in bass. I don't know if this is supposed to happen or not. My subs are not in yet, just the door speakers. Kind of disappointed so far. Maybe they're expecting subs to be equipped, Idk.

Edit: I'm still using stock unit, read Google said an after market unit will give more power & they'll sound better.
Sent from the Matrix

Last edited:

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
If you swapped the front 6x9s for 6.5" components you will hear a lot less bass. Those stock 6x9s are just about all lower end to mid range. I was the same way when I replaced mine and I have an Alpine head unit. The sub(s) completely make up for it though. Of course I have my doors amped too.

OP
OP
ajent

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ohh alright. Thanks, I was kinda freaking out lol

Sent from the Matrix

OP
OP
ajent

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all in there, and sounds good. I used the PAC amp to stock unit adapter.

I ordered all the other adapters, steering wheel control & aftermarket HU adapter. Tried to install my dnx-7100. I couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work no matter how many times I followed the instructions & checked connections. After that, I check the install kit from crutchfield, that doesn't fit inside the plastic, & neither will my unit.

I expected to have to cut the metal behind, but not the plastic infront. After so many problems, I decided I'm not going to destroy my new truck just to fit a damn screen in there. Lots of wasted $ & left with all these adapters I wont use. I guess I need to buy the unit that comes in the laramie.