Is NAV activation worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I apologize if I am asking a question that has been asked a thousand times. Is it worth paying the money to have the nav feature activated on my 2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Silver?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I use my NAV all the time so I found it to be worth the money.

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyway to do it for less than $595.00 lol. ya, we use the nav in my wife's 2015 town and country all the time. Was thinking about buying a 200.00 Garmin instead. Just worry about nav updates. Seems as though every time we drive up to Dallas to see my son, the roads change all the time due to the new bridges being built and the Garmin has life time maps.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Edit: I can no longer get discounted Nav activation. Glad to help everyone with it while I could.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. Not worth it.

It takes you the easiest way, not the shortest way. 1 hour and 45 minutes using the truck gps vs 1 hour and 10 minutes using Google maps on my phone.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Updates are overpriced and the data is usually at least 12 months old.

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
We have updated navigation searches and a lot of tools by using the maps on our phones, not worth it in my opinion.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I think its worth it. My situation:
A. I dont want to yank the radio out of my brand new 2017 with 1000 miles to gamble finding a worthy RA4 only to possibly get ****** around by a salvage yard when I get one with water damage/wrong part number or year/not even an RA4.
B. I lose data on my phone quite a bit on trips and often times maps wont load so the phone does me no good.
C. I can activate navigation on my RA3 for well under what an RA4 costs. No, I dont want to sell my original radio to fund an RA4. I dont want to give the dealer an opportunity to tell me to kick rocks if my non-factory radio dies.

So, is the activated or factory nav perfect? Probably not. But, its there in a pinch and can be activated for a lot less than what the dealer tries to screw people for. As long as the price is attractive I say activate away. Im doing it on my RA3 (dont care about HD radio or 3D maps)! Different for everybody though.

hankRam2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For me it was. I use all the time. All though sometimes it isn't as accurate as my phone.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I apologize if I am asking a question that has been asked a thousand times. Is it worth paying the money to have the nav feature activated on my 2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Silver?
The Nav in my 2014 has been junk since I bought the truck new. It drives you around in circles and will pass an exit just to tell you to turn around and go back to it. On cross country trips it is not reliable in the least and POI's are not dependable. I have given up on it and use my TomTom with free map upgrades. I used both of these Nav's side by side on a 7,000 mile trip and the truck NAV was consistently wrong. Save your money and purchase a tomtom or garmin that you can use in all your vehicles and have free map upgrades.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If mine didnt come with it i would NOT buy it. I agree with others and its outdated very fast and updates are expensive.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're worried about cell phone data, you can actually download and save maps in Google Maps. Anytime you are connected to WiFi, it will automatically update the maps, and then you won't have any data charges when you're driving. And it still works if you have no signal.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im actually pretty upset my Laramie didn't have it activated.

A fully loaded truck, no NAV? I figured I just didnt have the right model. Until I received a little post card saying I could activate it for $500+. Get ******.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope not worth it. As others stated it's junk.
While on a trip I had my phones gps and the trucks gps on at the same time because something told me not to trust the trucks gps and well yea good thing I did that. I was trying to get on the freeway which was going straight a couple blocks away and the phone was telling me the right way and the truck was telling me to take a left on a residential street and then to keep going it made no sense since then I lost its trust and I haven't used it since.

I have the Ra3 and had the gps activated but it wasn't worth it. I should've just purchased a garmin gps unit with free lifetime updates for half the price

danend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I activated it in my 2017 and use it frequently. I will say that anytime I am going somewhere completely new, I will double check directions using Google Maps. I typically just compare distances quickly and if they are the same or really close I go with the truck. If they are off, I leave Google Maps running just in case.

I have a few long trips that I make frequently and I know that the truck is correct so it is great to have there.

This isn't just an issue with Uconnect, I've had the same issue and work around in Fords, BMWs and Toyotas as well. I think it is more of a reflection of how awesome Google Maps is than anything...

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do like the stock Navigation. I had the dealer activated Nav on my 2014 Durango R/T. I have the full Nav on my 2017 Ram Rebel.

I actually use 2 Navigations on my (2) long trips per year - 4000-5000 miles each.

I run them concurrently and sometimes to various locations (restaurants / hotel / national parks, etc). Its just what works for me.

I know people use their phones for Nav...and thats personal preference. Personally I don't want to pay extra monthly for tons of data. I have the dash Nav and a 7" Garmin when I need them. The Garmin's maps are much better and its routing is better.

The stock Nav is ok though..for smaller trips / addresses around the Twin Cities area during my off months.

Just my .02.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would probably be great if you were a contractor going to different jobsites (addresses) multiple times a day. I've had it before, I'm glad my truck doesn't have Nav. It's technology that becomes obsolete quickly and a costly feature that often doesn't get used 6 mo. after ya drive off the lot.

Can't say about Garmins, but Tom Toms are an ancient and barbaric tool next to Google Maps/Nav. I've had a couple, last one was the highest spec and it never came close to a phone. Like others said, it ran us around in circles a lot. Plus their customer service is awful and way their map management/sales is suspect business. Stick with your phone. Go to Youtube and learn how to download and use "off-line maps" ...it's a beautiful feature! How it works is beyond me?!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use my Navi all the time... Works great for me in the Long Island area. Now, I've only had my truck for 2 weeks though.

I do find the traffic warning and re-routing difficult. I'm not quite sure I understand where it is sending me or my options. Either way, it may be correct, but the re-routing interface is a little too complicated for highway speeds in as congested area as NY/NYC. They need to improve this...

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I had mine activated yesterday. Have used it a few times since. Quite a few little bits are different than my old RA4. Slightly cleaner UI, some different icons in maps and works surprisingly well. Still have the pop-up in the EVIC with directions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye