Navigator update questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got a flyer in the mail yesterday telling me a new map update has been released for my truck. Requires a Uconnect update first, but that update was done a month or two ago and is the correct version. My questions are:

1. How often do map updates normally get released?

2. Are they always this pricey? ($149)

3. How are they installed? I’d assume they come over the same way as Uconnect updates, but if not—then how? I don’t have a CD player in the truck...

4. Are the updates generally considered worth doing? I’m not particularly impressed with the onboard Nav and have a Garmin with windshield mount or an iPhone that I could use for finding new addresses or businesses, so I’m questioning the value in doing the update.

Sure wish there was a way to feed Google Maps from my iPhone into the Nav screen...

Thanks,
DG

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, they are always that pricey sadly, it comes on a usb stick for install. I wasn't going to do mine, but I was always getting these wierd popups about zones I was in here. I took a shot and now I don't get those and have more newer roads here showing up, so was good for me.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
How often are there map updates? I've never seen one

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Got a flyer in the mail yesterday telling me a new map update has been released for my truck. Requires a Uconnect update first, but that update was done a month or two ago and is the correct version. My questions are:

1. How often do map updates normally get released?

2. Are they always this pricey? ($149)

3. How are they installed? I’d assume they come over the same way as Uconnect updates, but if not—then how? I don’t have a CD player in the truck...

4. Are the updates generally considered worth doing? I’m not particularly impressed with the onboard Nav and have a Garmin with windshield mount or an iPhone that I could use for finding new addresses or businesses, so I’m questioning the value in doing the update.

Sure wish there was a way to feed Google Maps from my iPhone into the Nav screen...

Thanks,
DG

The Nav in my truck has been junk since new. Save your money and us your garmin.

OP
OP
R

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like these updates are not very frequent; I was afraid they would become a yearly or twice-yearly routine. I agree that the Nav is clunky and not all that useful—it took me a while to figure out the “reverse Polish notation” format it uses for data entry. And, it ticks me off that my passenger can’t enter data while on the move—something my Garmin has no issue with. I’ll probably do this update just because the truck is only a year old, and will re-evaluate when the next update is released.

One thing I know for sure: I only have Nav because it was already in the truck I picked off the dealer lot. Having used the Nav, I’d never spend the $$ to put it in a vehicle I was ordering nor tag it as a “must have” when searching the dealer lots. Better Nav systems are available aftermarket for a lot less money. If Uconnect and Ram really wanted the best available setup they’d get out of the Nav and map business and let us run GoogleMaps to the 8.4 screen from our already-linked cell phones.

Best,
DG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye