Need help with an audio system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am trying to build a system for my 2016 Ram Crew Cab. This will be only the 2nd system I have ever built. My first was easy as I was younger, and had a suburban. I had all the room in the world to get loud, which I accomplished. I am older now, and while I still want to thump, I am more concerned with the clarity and overall sound quality of the entire system. I am looking at doing a complete system which is going to cost me for the install. Before I go any further, I will mention that I have researched this daily for over a month, minimum of an hour or 2 each day. So I have read a lot, and everything you read is different. I understand that it is mostly individual's opinions. With that being said, I want to let you all know where I am at at the moment (if you don't like the brands I respect that, and would appreciate constructive criticism and recommendations over brand bashing and name calling) and see if I am on the right track or if I have completely wasted the few hours daily the past month or two. I have looked at all the stat's tediously, and just wanting someone with more knowledge than myself who knows what will sound accurate and good in this size vehicle to check them out as well and shoot me down the right path, as I am seriously ready to start the purchase phase of this project.

https://bassforms.com/products/2002-2015-dodge-ram-quad-cab-4-door

This is the box I have been looking at. I have found it for $400, and offered less. I believe this model is sealed, which I am open to going sealed or ported, however with the limited space I believed the sealed would be the better option and sound better with smaller spaces. This box claims to hold W6's and L7's. In the suburban, I had 2 powerbass 3xl 15's DVC. They were stupid loud. I have found the same subs in 12's, but we can read about that in the subs portion of the post.

KICKER | KS Series 6x9" 3-way Coax

These are the door speakers I have been looking at. However, while still brand new I believe the ones I have found a deal on are the previous model. Does this matter? The prices vary from $150 (new model) a pair to $67 a pair. Need 2 pair if they will both fit. I was intending to use the same KS series 3.5 for the dash speakers as well. While I love the idea of component speakers, I have zero knowledge of fabrication and making that work. This is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned, so I want a clean professional finished product when completed. I do not think I have fabrication type money though, so I have ruled components out without even pricing installation on them.

I intend to use my same head unit mostly to ensure I do not lose factory things inside the unit, but also to save money.

https://www.amazon.com/KICKER-11S12...01948612&sr=8-1&keywords=kicker+solo+baric+l7

These are the subs I have almost decided on. Not sure if I will go 4 ohm or 2, depends on how they can be wired. With the space provided I intend to go 1 ohm or .5 ohm at the amp to help give the subs all they want or need. I can go either 10's or 12's, and would appreciate knowing which would be best for the build. The only .5 ohm stable amp I have seen (without actively looking for one) is a power acoustic brand. Isn't the best brand in the world I know, but I did have the bamf 5500 in my suburban, and I know they can push some power. Remember I am not married to anything I have posted, and have only selected these products due to having no knowledge in this hobby. just for reference, here are the powerbass 3xl's.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBass-3X...949889&sr=8-1&keywords=POWERBASS+3XL-1201D+12

As for amplifiers I have looked at several. I just recently found this one, which the reviews on were great. The price is also great. I prefer the amp to have lots of headroom to help both the amp and the subs. So the amps I have been looking at are rated far above what the subs call for. Here are a few, all insight is appreciated.

Q1-2200.2 2350W Mono Amp

Alpine

XMA-2000D Mono Block Mini Amplifier

I am all ears on amplification. I have purchased a wiring kit already. I had true 1/0 in my suburban, however I purchased a more than true 4 (they claim it is larger than true 4 gauge) hoping to not drain more from the charging system. I purchased the extended unlimited warranty on the truck, so I can not do "the big 3" or change any components in the charging system. I believe I could add a second battery, but I need to check on that. Here is the wiring kit I purchased, as well as a battery idea if I can.

3000W Heavy-Duty 4 Gauge Amp Kit Complete Amplifier Cable Wiring 100 Amp Fuse | eBay

Stinger Car Or Marine Audio SQB2000 Deep Cycle 2000 Watt 525Cca Battery New | eBay

I also want to sound dampen the doors at very minimum. Again, not sure I have whole truck dampening type of money. But figure as long as the panels are off for the speakers, I may as well do it there. Also, I will get a DSP if I need one, however, if I do not then I would rather save that money and put it elsewhere in the system. I am sure I have missed something, but I am already hoping someone takes the time to read all this and help me out. Once more, I am not married to anything I have listed. This is simply the path I was down. The only thing i have bought is the wiring kit, which I do not mind eating the money on. Was only 25 bucks. I also want an amp for the door/dash speakers. The Alpine PDX-F6 was one of them I was looking at. But with all your knowledge, I am sure you can all help me with better suggestions on everything. Unfortunately I recently sold my Punch 400.4. All I have left is a Kicker ZX250.1. I do not intend to use it though. Please help me! Ha.

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that I post this, eBay just alerted me that my offer on the box was accepted. So now I am kind of on a time crunch on the box.

muscleram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That sounds really good but I suggest you look at rockford fosgate shallow mount subs.
Get dual voice coil.
They r designed to work in smaller areas. It's not just about the mounting. That while box doesn't have enough air space for 1 of the subs you want.... let alone two.
I've had big boxes subs and amps before.
Now I have 2 small boxes and 10 inch dual voice coil rockford shallow mount. I can't believe how clean crisp and loud it is and I only have a small amp.
Either way I bet it be loud

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard mixed reviews on the shallow subs. The majority have said they aren't very good, and you aren't getting enough for what you're spending. The only person that said anything good about them was a guy trying to sell them to me and said it depends on which shallow sub you get, and was wanting to sell me the kicker brand ones. I am not completely against shallow mount, I just have zero experience with them and until your post, have yet to read much good about them. I have not been looking into them either. The air space I was going off of was from kicker's website, which I will include in this post. It shows you need a minimum of .88 and a maximum of 2.0 in sealed. That is how I picked the box actually, figuring once the subs are installed and taking up some of that space, it would fall within the specs kicker provided as necessary. I am glad to hear someone say that the shallow sounds good though being as they are much easier to fit in the application.

Solo-Baric L7S 12 Inch Subwoofer | KICKER®

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not 8 inch subs?

I'm a bass guitar player, and I prefer 8inch for my cabs and amps due to the precision of the sound. And they get plenty loud and deep.

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not against anything that will sound great. And I'm pretty sure I can fit any 8 inch in there. Just never heard any and have assumed they wouldn't sound very good or deep. As stated my only other system was dual 15's and smallest I have ever heard in anyone's setup is 10's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, didn't get much help in this, but here's what I went with. Got the quote today for install of everything, $3k. Time to save some more!

Focal 165as fronts
Focal 690ac rears
2 arc audio 300.4 for doors
1 arc audio 600. 2 for subs
Net Audio tall box
2 13tw5 subs
Arc audio ps8 processor (may buy remote as well)
Knukonceptz Kolossus 1/0 with rings and reducers for everything
Roadkill Expert (5 bulk boxes for entire cab)
Roadkill carpet pad for under carpet, maybe headliner and doors, need opinions here
Rings and same kolossus wire for big 3 upgrade
Got the large tailgate ram emblem to put on the box as well as small door letters for box and amp rack
Nice stinger fuse holder and xscorpion d block for power and ground
Xscorpion positive battery terminal to support 3 rings worth of power
Trying to decide which XS battery to purchase, but replacing the primary rather than adding

Anyone have any insight for me at this point?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Should sound great! Where are you placing the tweets? If they have a swivel mount, I'd suggest the sail panel. Otherwise try the dash holes before cutting stuff up. I assume you are omitting the stock dash speakers.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just seeing this sadly as I would have definitely given you my opinion as to what I would suggest. $3000.00 to do all of that is a very good price. My buddy has his reg cab deadened and the shop charged $75.00 per hour and it was done in (6) hours. Of course that was a reg cab and included the roof.

Father Of Four

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should sound great! Where are you placing the tweets? If they have a swivel mount, I'd suggest the sail panel. Otherwise try the dash holes before cutting stuff up. I assume you are omitting the stock dash speakers.
Initially I had planned to omit them, yes. As for the tweets that's gonna be up to the installer really. I want them where they will blend. I want to be able to close my eyes and not be able to tell where the speakers are. If that makes sense. I believe the do have the swivel mounts. I have 2 additional channels of amp left over, so I could do dash if it's needed, but focal doesn't make a 3.5 to fit in the same series. Don't really want to mix brands. Or, I could add a set of tweets in the rear. Never really have anyone back there tho, so seems like a waste of money and valuable amp channels. What would you do in this situation?

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just seeing this sadly as I would have definitely given you my opinion as to what I would suggest. $3000.00 to do all of that is a very good price. My buddy has his reg cab deadened and the shop charged $75.00 per hour and it was done in (6) hours. Of course that was a reg cab and included the roof.

Father Of Four
Actually the $3k is for the install only. I have already purchased all/most of the product. Have been patient and gotten it all online, spending about $2500-3k thus far. The only product that 3k includes is an amp rack and window tint. And then any small overlooked things I may need, like 9 wire, etc. I have most everything tho. Even the wire loom and heat shrink.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Would you adopt me please?

crfq68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Initially I had planned to omit them, yes. As for the tweets that's gonna be up to the installer really. I want them where they will blend. I want to be able to close my eyes and not be able to tell where the speakers are. If that makes sense. I believe the do have the swivel mounts. I have 2 additional channels of amp left over, so I could do dash if it's needed, but focal doesn't make a 3.5 to fit in the same series. Don't really want to mix brands. Or, I could add a set of tweets in the rear. Never really have anyone back there tho, so seems like a waste of money and valuable amp channels. What would you do in this situation?

With the tweets in the sail panel or upper part of door and 100 wpc...you won't need any dash speakers...it should sound awesome!

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the tweets in the sail panel or upper part of door and 100 wpc...you won't need any dash speakers...it should sound awesome!
Awesome. Thank you for the input. Any ideas for the 2 left over channels on the amp?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice set up you have going. IMO I would use the other two channels for mids in the factory dash spot. I'm gonna assume your setup will be active.....correct? The mids will bring the vocals and certain instruments to life. Find an authorized Focal dealer, you can get a set of 3.5" midrange speakers separately from them without buying the whole 3 way system. That's what I would do with the other two channels.

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice set up you have going. IMO I would use the other two channels for mids in the factory dash spot. I'm gonna assume your setup will be active.....correct? The mids will bring the vocals and certain instruments to life. Find an authorized Focal dealer, you can get a set of 3.5" midrange speakers separately from them without buying the whole 3 way system. That's what I would do with the other two channels.
I will definitely look into it. Ebay it right now matter fact. From my research Focal didn't have any in this series or model. Would it not sound "bad" or off mixing models/series?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Look into the Focal flax or expert series even the K2 Powers. As long as you have processing and tuning you will be fine. If you have a good installer they will know exactly how to input the mids into your system.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey Bigtymes........since you're a Focal guy here's my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170608_175706.jpg
    20170608_175706.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 30

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually the $3k is for the install only. I have already purchased all/most of the product. Have been patient and gotten it all online, spending about $2500-3k thus far. The only product that 3k includes is an amp rack and window tint. And then any small overlooked things I may need, like 9 wire, etc. I have most everything tho. Even the wire loom and heat shrink.

I was thinking 3k labor for all that seems high, but then i re-read it and id bet most of the labor is in the sound deadening.

OP
OP
B

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Bigtymes........since you're a Focal guy here's my setup.
That's nice bud. Which speakers are those in the dash? Look like it was part of a 3 way set maybe that you bought. Didn't know until after it was too late that the 165as I bought came in a 3 way also. I ordered mine from Italy though, so would have has to mail them back and pay the additional to swap them. I've never had focal before, just heard good things about them.