Need info/ideas for Sound/speaker Upgrade - 2014 RAM 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looking for advice/"schooling" on sound/speaker upgrades for my 2014 Tradesman 2500. Truck is equipped with the basic sound system, Uconnect 3.0.

I'm not really looking to replace the head unit right now, just want to upgrade the speakers (sooner or later). I don't know a thing about the factory system - how many speakers? (i think 6? 2 dash, 2 front door, 2 rear door?) and don't know speaker sizes?

I want a fairly high quality sound. Not for sound competition, But I do want it to be BETTER than the best factory sound system (Alpine?)

I don't have any brand preference. I DON'T want cheap stuff, not scared to spend a some money (within reason). Will buy/install an amp to run these speakers if necessary, no big deal.

Not necessarily looking for a subwoofer right now... prefer to just upgrade the factory speakers. May add a Sub at a later date, but not right now.

So... What's good (brands, models)? What sizes? Is an Amp needed?

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In doing some research, I see it doesn't take long to spend a lot of money on this stuff.
Not sure if i mentioned that i'm completely "green" (newb) when it comes to car audio upgrades. I don't have a multi-thousand dollar budget here... but I don't want to buy crap either.

I see where some people just recomend replacing just the front door speakers with high quality speakers and leaving the rears and dash speakers alone.

Would you recomend spending more on a higher quality set of front door speakers, and leave the dash and rear door speakers stock?

Or would it be better to level out the cost a little and get a lesser quality (but still good/better than stock) set of 2 fronts and 2 rears? (or throw in the 2 dash speakers as well?)

I like what i see and hear about the JL C5 speakers... but at that price, i couldn't do but just the front 2 for now. Assuming the C5 component speakers would need to be ran by an amp?

Someone teach me a thing or two. :)

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cheap easy upgrade start with the dash speakers, they will clean up a lot of the muddyness to the stock stereo. If you were going to spend money on the C5's yes aboslutely amp them otherwise not worth the money. If just the dash isn't to your liking for clarity do the front doors. Finally if you aren't getting what you want then go all out and amp them. Oh sound deaden your doors thats probably one of the best upgrades a person can do period.
The order this is laid out if you are new to installing can slowly give you a handle on what you are doing. Dash being easiest, deadening and doors next and you get the idea.
Finally go listen at local audio shops of speakers you want to try cause something that sounds good to someone on here may sound like garbage to the next person.

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you for the input!

So you say start with Dash speakers, then work to the front door speakers.

I have read some guys say replace the dash speakers with quality tweeters to compliment the high quality front door speakers (C5's for example)...

Is this the "consensus"? (tweeters in dash)
If not tweeters, Suggestions?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depends on if you have the tuning to tame the reflection off of the windshield. Tweeters to me get way to bright when they do that so i eq them down a lot other people like that bright sound they have. Like I said spending big money on those components and not amping them is a waste of money IMO.

frascona

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I replaced my head-unit with a, exact-fit DVD GPS Nav unit from radio-upgrade and it sounds very good. My son thought I installed a subwoofer, but it was just the stock speakers on the high-powered deck.

I'd go that route first.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 black Crew Cab Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9's in the back doors, had to cut some plastic took about 5 minutes a side, and am pleased with them they were $79.95 from Sonic. Plus I decided to buy the Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.5 components for 109.95, plus the adapters Metra 82-6901, as of yet did not install them. The total was just about $200 The 6x9's have a nice sound off the 3.0 HU. Looking at the price of the JL C5 they are pricey for 1 pair but that is a personal decision on what you want to spend. When I install the 6.5's in front I will let you know how they sound, both sets of speakers are well built. I plan on getting a Pioneer GM-A6604 amp at a later date. You may want to check out these Youtube videos and some of the reviews on them. These are the ones I watched. Good luck on your upgrade.
Bob

Installing Kicker KS35 Dash Speakers in a 2013 RAM 1500 Big Horn - YouTube

Pioneer 6x9 TS-D6902R Unboxing - YouTube

Pioneer TS-D1720C Unboxing - Component Speakers 6 3/4" 60wrms - YouTube

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree with Etroze86. Buying higher end components and not amping them is pretty pointless. You may get a slightly better sound but i would have an external amp next on the list.

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea i would absolutely use an amp along with the quality speakers, I have no problem with that.

I guess i'm just looking for advice on what to use and what kind of "parts" to use to get a great sounding sound system. There are so many different choices out there it makes my head spin, want opinions/advice from guys who have more knowledge than I on it.

Not afraid to spend decent money. I would rather do it "one piece at a time" (fronts, rears, dash, don't care what order) and get GOOD stuff, than do it all at once and get mediocre or sub-par stuff.

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
JL? Hertz? Focal? Other?

what kind of amp/how many?
tweeters replace dash or mount elsewhere?
I'm clueless when it comes to the hardware/electronics needed to set it all up right?
Sub/box/amp suggestions?

If it helps, i listen literally to any and all kinds of music. Country, Rock/metal, hip-hop, older country, bluegrass, older rock, and whatever the girlfriend wants to hear.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok lets keep going on the research aspect of your audio build. You will be money way ahead if you go to your local audio store and hear first hand what speakers sound like. This is one of the biggest personal preferences in the audio world. I would still look at setting up the front of the vehicle before worrying about the rear.

Amps are a little easier Class D amplifiers will get you power in a small package and my suggestion for a 4 channel for your speakers would be Skar audio sk85.4. It is a beast of a little amp, but there are also good options in mainstream audio with alpine, kicker, rockford fosgate and JL audio. Oh almost forgot one of my other favorites, Soundqubed 120.4.

You can also get a 5 channel amplifier so you have a channel for a subwoofer down the road. I like a seperate mono amp but thats me and again when you look at the brands I mentioned above you can't go wrong with any of their mono blocks.

Subwoofer boxes can be made or bought, if you are confident in DIY skills fiberglassing is a good method for underseat boxes. If not Netaudio and Fox Acoustics both make boxes for our trucks.

Now hardware, keeping in mind you will be using your stock headunit you will in a line output converter(LOC) like audiocontrol LC7i that would give you enough room to expand down the road when you want. You will also need power and ground for amplifiers and you will need speaker wire for your amplifiers running to speakers as well.

I hope this gives you a little better starting point.

Last edited:

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
You're getting good advice..
here's mine:
You need to decide if you want a four channel (front speakers) and a mono amp/or 2-channel amp (subwoofers) this route will get you more control, and more power to the subwoofer(s)
OR you can get a nice 5-channel and run the entire system (probably less power to your subwoofer, but still enough to have fun) ease of installation going this route and cheaper too.
Since you are going to have a dedicated subwoofer, I would without a doubt buy a component set for your front...ie...6.5" midbass with a seperate tweeter you can mount elsewhere...sail panels, factory dash mount, kick panels, or right next to the door speakers....those are all good options that will yield a different soundstage. There are pros and cons to each tweeter location and it's kinda up to you where you decide to mount the tweeters...I def have my opinions on which place is best, but it depends greatly on what components you choose.
With that said....
JL C5 components are popular, Alpine is too. I would personally chose the Image Dynamics xs65 component set over all the above components...I have heard numerous sets in different vehicles and they simply sound better than the JL's and WAY better than the Alpines. But ultimately it is up to you. You need to demo some components and decide for yourself. Focal is popular along with Hertz as well...both good companies with good products, but they both have their unique sounds....some love, some hate.
Components is the way to go...with a subwoofer(s)

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now we're talking! Thanks for that input guys.

So definitely agree that, for now, the best plan for me is to replace the front speakers. I'll go to some different audio stores and see if i can hear some different speakers and see what i like.

As for the tweeters, I think for now i'm leaning either towards either in the dash, to replace the factory dash speakers, or in the sail panel (i think? inside of the door, opposite where the mirror mounts?). Looks like as good a spot as any. As mentioned before, i want a clean, stock appearing set up with as minimal "visual" modifications as possible (cutting, adding material, etc.)

I'm definitely a DIY'er... so not afraid to try a DIY sub box build. but hate to give up much "under seat" storage.

I wonder if this would be an option: build a box to fit behind the rear seats of a crew cab truck? I reached my hand back there and it felt like there was some room back there, but not sure? Would it interfere with the travel of the seat when folded?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Once you audition some speakers at your local audio shop, chime in and list what brands and models you listened to and give us your opinions...again, I'll have mine as I have heard almost everything out there give or take a few...that should make your decision a little less overwhelming.
Tweeters...I have mounted tweeters into the dash locations (firing up) with decent success, but I also have DSP which helps alot! If you want a 100% stealth install, the dash is the only way to go IMO.
Sail panels are pretty easy to use...they pop right off and mounting a tweeter is pretty straight forward in that location...IF you ever trade your truck in for another vehicle, you could simply buy new sails (they're cheap) and that way your truck does not take a hit at the dealership (just something to think about)
My amp rack is behind the rear seats and I honestly do NOT think there is room for anything back there. Once you calculate the thickness of the wood being used for an enclosure...you are pretty much taking up all the available space leaving no room for the depth of most subs...even shallow subs....Of course I could be wrong, but I just do not see enough space back there.

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haven't had a chance to listen to any speakers yet (workin two jobs makes finding free time tough)... I do recall in the past being impressed with some Alpine speakers, but been a long time ago. I'm off this weekend so may get a chance to go demo some.

I looked into those "Image Dynamics", they look nice, but they're priced a little higher than i think i want to spend.

After doing some more research, here's a few "part numbers" that have caught my attention. Looking for feedback - good, bad, indifferent. If nothing else, this kinda shows the price range i'm thinking i'd like to stay in.

Speakers front only):
1. JL Audio C5-650 component set (2 way, with tweeters and crossovers) $500
2. Focal Performance PS 165 (2 way, with tweeters and crossovers) $400
3. Alpine Type R 6-1/2" (2 way, with tweeters and crossovers) $300

Amplifiers:
1. Alpine PDX-V9 (5 Channel, 100W x4 @4ohms + 500Wx1 @2 or 4ohms) $700
2. JL Audio XD700/5V2 (5 channel, 75Wx4 @4ohms + 300Wx1 @2ohms) $600
3. Alpine MRX-V70 (5 channel, 60Wx4 @4ohms + 350Wx1 @2ohms) $400

Subwoofers:
1. Alpine Type R (SWR-12D2) 12" dual 2ohm voice coils $250
- or 10" equivalent $230
2. Kicker CompRT (40CWRT122) 12" dual 2ohm voice coils $190
- or 10" equivalent $170
3. Alpine Type S (SWS-12D2) 12" dual 2ohm voice coils $170
- or 10" equivalent $150

I plan to build my own box for the sub (for now that's the plan anyway...) as well as do all the installation myself. I want to use the factory 3.0 stereo/head unit for now... may upgrade later.

That said, IF those lower end components (#3's in the lists above) would make a great sounding stereo system for $850 (plus misc wire, connectors, materials) that'd be awesome.

But if that won't get it, i'm ok with stepping it up to the higher end (#2's/#1's in the lists above) and spending up to ~$1200 (#2's) or ~ $1500. or pick and choosing is fine too (for example, high end component door speakers, but cheaper sub?)

Thoughts?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JBL recently made some really nice sounding components that can be had for around 200 bucks and the SQ guys on DIYMA rave about them almost everyday. Also look into Massive audio NX5 as I remember they were putting out some big power for a sub channel and sounding damn good doing it too. Alpines subs have come a long way from the last time I owned a pair but they still left a pretty sour taste in my mouth from the spider contiually seperating from the basket. JL W3s would be compairable to the type S subs and would be my recomendation for mainstream. Skar VVX or VD and Sundown SA or SD subs would be my go to for boutique builders in the price range you have there.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
^^great advice here and yes, JBL is producing some wonderful speakers.
I like the type R a whole lot better than the type S...I have personally owned the type S 12" and it makes a bunch of noise...lots of bass. But there is a hollowness to its sound. It is not a musical subwoofer. The type R is well worth the extra money. The type R is great mix of SPL and SQ...
Sundown is rocking the industry and surprising a lot of SQ guys on how musical the Sundowns can be while digging deep and rattling windows.
The Image Dynamics xs65 I quoted you is their top-tier line up, but there lower price point speakers are really nice too.
Here is rant about Focal...this includes their whole line up. Focal produces a lot of world championship cars in the sound quality competitions because they sound great. The problem is, SQ competition cars are judged at a very low volume....it would surprise you on how quiet these SQ judges listen to your stereo...it's crazy and I still scratch my head about it...The deal is, Focal speakers tend to be on the bright side of the spectrum so because of that, they sound really really good at low volume due to their brightness. However, if you like to crank your stereo like I do....I lean on my stereo A LOT!!!!...the Focals will be IMO way too bright at high volumes which will lend you you to turning the volume down over time due to fatigue...which is not cool.
So if you like moderate listen levels...you will love Focal....if you like to rock out at med-high volume like myself...I'd choose something else.
Rant over!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^ bingo big reason why I could never pull the trigger on a set of Focals. My volume is always way sitting around 40 out of 62.

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for this input fella's... sounds like i should stay away from the Focals then because i don't like the sounds of that. I do like to listen at med/high volume levels, don't want it to be "too bright".

Here's a "list" of various speaker/sub brands i've had recomended to me thus far, and ones i intend to try to find and listen to.
-MB Quart
-Skar Audio (Subs - VVX or VD)
-Image Dynamics
-Hertz
-Focal (Probably count these out)
-JL Audio (Been looking at the C5-650)
-JBL (more recent component speaker that is really good?)
-Sundown (Subs)

OP
OP
Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm receiveing tons of great feedback.

Let's focus solely on the front componentts. I've narrowed it down to this:
-6.5 two-way component set. Price "cap" - $500 for the complete set. Don't HAVE to spend that much, but willing to spend UP TO that much.
-Will power these most likely with a quality 5 channel amp(along with eventually rest of system: 1 sub and likely two rear speakers).
-I don't want extremely "bright" tweeters.
-more interested in SQ than volume, but want it to be able to get loud and stay clear.

Price varies by who you source (buy) the speakers from, so who do you guys buy speakers from? Crutchfield is pricey, but from what i understand, reliable. There's "onlinecarstereo.com", not as pricey but I know nothing about them. then there's amazon, but scared i'll get "refurbished" gear from there.

I see but haven't heard much about the JL "ZR" series... higher priced than the "C5" speakers. are they better?

Also, Alpine "Type X" series... (SPX-17PRO) nobody has mentioned these? maybe for good reason? i know they are pricey, but onlinecarstereo.com lists them @ ~$400. (but maybe not a reputable source?)

I'm going to start with the front component speakers and, more or less, design the rest of the audio system around that.