Need a portable DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have one of those strap-to-the-headrest DVD systems for the kiddo. It consists of one screen with a built in DVD player and a second screen that plugs into the main screen and plays the same video. I don't have a need for two screens in one vehicle, so I was hoping to find a portable DVD player that I could plug into ***** screen to be used in the truck while keeping the screen with built in DVD player in my wife's Jeep.

My daughter is still rear facing and will be for another 6 months. After she's forward facing, I plan on buying a more built in solution like the links below. I really don't want to waste money on a second strap-to-the-headrest DVD system just to use for six months.

So, what I'm ultimately looking for is a cheap walkman style DVD player that's 12V with standard composite A/V outputs. I tried searching but can only come up with portable units with screens. Anyone know of anything that will work and is cheap?

DVD Headrest Video Package - Custom LCD LED-Backlit Screens and DVD Players Built In To Factory Matched Headrests - These monitors are available for Acura, Audi, Chevy, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jeep, Kia, Landr

New 2014 Dodge RAM 1500 DVD Headrest Video Players SLT Sport Laramie Express Hfe | eBay

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
define cheap. the cheapest route will probably be a portable dvd player with a screen, that has a standard composite output. i bought one for $80 years ago, came with all the necessary wire, remote and a 12v charger to go along with it. im sure one could be had for cheaper nowadays. another option would be to ditch the dvd player, and use an ipad or similar tablet (if you already own one). composite av cables are available for most of those, as well as 12v chargers.

they also make dedicated car dvd players, but price wise i would say your looking at around $150 or so, and you would have to wire it in and figure out where to mount it, as this is more of a fixed solution.

if you were planning on upgrading your stereo, this would be a good excuse to buy an in dash dvd/navigation. most of them have rear monitor capabilities meaning you pop a dvd in up front, and it plays on the back, you keep listening to the music, they hear the movie.

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cheap is like $30, lol. I can buy a whole new kit like I already have for about $100, so I can't really justify spending more than about $50 on the DVD player. I can always hook up an old laptop to do the same thing, but that's pretty bulky. Trying to keep it simple as we travel with enough crap already.

In the old truck, that was my plan, to run the A/V output to the second screen and play DVDs from the headunit. Can't do that with the new trucks and I don't want to (and can't if I wanted) replace the headunit.

I'll probably just have to either bite the bullet and buy a second system or just move the one we have back and forth for now...