New HU sounds worse than stock. Help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Big Horn CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2011 1500 with the stock sound system. As stock as it could be. I added a JL Stealthbox and amp about a year ago and have been very pleased with the sound upgrade. Very satisfied.

Yesterday, I installed a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX because I wanted a BU camera. Install went smooth, it's a great deck. But now my sound seems muddy all around and the sub is not putting out near the bass it had been with the stock HU.

Is it advised to play with EQ settings (I haven't had a real chance yet) to try to fix this? Replacement speakers running off the new deck power (14x4 RMS)?
Sound isn't terrible, just not as clean as it was before (if you can call the stock system clean).

And any info on why the sub has taken a dump?
Thanks all.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
What's the preout voltage on the new HU?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well first things first - how is the sub hooked up? Was it redone so the RCAs are going to the sub output?

Secondly double check all your connections to make sure you nothing was wired out of phase.

Lastly mess with your setting.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Big Horn CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Preouts are 4v
RCA is wired into the sub out of the HU

What does wired out of phase mean?

Thanks so far for all suggestions. Keep 'em coming?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Out of phase means your polarity is backwards

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Just adding the stereo, settings will be all flat, so play with the EQ. Also, in previous Durango(05) install I did, the harness had a box with gain you could turn up to match amp. Not sure if you have a amp for door speakers in your truck or not. After turning up gain, sound was great. Also you can control crossover points for sub etc.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I would start from the beginning and double check all of your wiring. Check your rcas, grounds, everything. Next I would SET your gain on your sub amp based on your new 4v outputs. If possible, use a multi-meter and the formula online (Google setting gain) to get it set correctly. You're whole goal to to set it at the max listening volume level you would listen to and then match your sub to that. By using the formula/test tone method, it guarantees your amp will always send a clean, unclipped signal to your subs.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Do all the above, especially setting your gains correctly on your sub amp. Then play with your eq settings. Your HU has a lot of capabilities so get to know it, and tweak the sound as you like. Make sure fade adjustments are correct (I had a HU come from factory with fade forward for some reason??) I would also make sure your LOUD function is turned off....I am not a fan of the LOUD button. Best of luck & enjoy

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Do you have the model of the sub and amp handy? And how its wired. It would help with setting the amp gain. Make sure your pioneer to ram wires are not reversed. Might be a setting in the deck regarding source level. Id turn that up to start. Keep the eq flat until you get the wiring straight. Turn off any internal xover settings too. But eventually you may high pass the front and rear around 60 to 100 hz. Sub low pass around 80 to 120 hz. That all depends on how things sound of course.