New Metra kit for replacing 8.4” uconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just wanted to give you guys a heads up. Looks like Metra is now making a kit for those of you that want to replace your 8.4” uconnect radio with a after market radio. This kit comes with a built in 4” screen so you can retain all your control while still being able to use a after market radio. Here’s a few pictures. 7005ccacb0d06da76faa5f0f4b5d7534.jpg272d62a37ad11496c8a373da29fa8430.jpg02ae19a36e69def429b216e50ffe2bf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still cheap plasticand ugly buttons - Metra's quality has gone to crap. Once iDatalink makes one - that will be the one to buy.

OP
OP
S

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wonder how much that is going to cost?

Already looked into it and it’s not going to be cheap. Looks like it’s going to be right around $450. This included the kit the 4” screen under the bezel and all the wiring to keep your factory options.

Honestly it’s a bit steep, but I’ll spend the money if it means I get a better quality sound system. I already called my local shop and he’s checking availability. Looking at using the Kenwood ddx9903s. Pretty full featured unit.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Already looked into it and it’s not going to be cheap. Looks like it’s going to be right around $450. This included the kit the 4” screen under the bezel and all the wiring to keep your factory options.

Honestly it’s a bit steep, but I’ll spend the money if it means I get a better quality sound system. I already called my local shop and he’s checking availability. Looking at using the Kenwood ddx9903s. Pretty full featured unit.

The ddx9903 is epic, I hated Kenwood until I gave that a chance... I have it in the dart, swapping my truck ddx5901 in the truck for that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ddx9903 is epic, I hated Kenwood until I gave that a chance... I have it in the dart, swapping my truck ddx5901 in the truck for that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That’s very reassuring. Haven’t had a aftermarket radio in a few years. My charger had a uconnect and so does my ram. So I’m looking forward to replace it with this unit. Just waiting on my local shop to tell wether or not they can get that Metra kit

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This seems redundant to me? With idatalink maestro, the HU will have all of the factory settings and features. Why the additional screen?

OP
OP
S

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, but what the idatalink won’t do is give you a perfect bezel to fit your aftermarket radio. Sure you can fit a 7” screen in a 8” opening but that looks. Stupid. Just my personal opinion. I know some people could careless about that. But it bothers me.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, but what the idatalink won’t do is give you a perfect bezel to fit your aftermarket radio. Sure you can fit a 7” screen in a 8” opening but that looks. Stupid. Just my personal opinion. I know some people could careless about that. But it bothers me.

Scosche already makes a nice bezel for a double din.

OP
OP
S

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
http://www.scosche.com/cr1297ddb

I installed mine a few weeks ago. Looks good.

Interesting. Honestly didn’t know this existed. Could you post pictures of our install. I assume your hvac cottons still work right? What about the knobs for the original 8” I assume they no longer are functional right? Thank you for sharing.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. Honestly didn’t know this existed. Could you post pictures of our install. I assume your hvac cottons still work right? What about the knobs for the original 8” I assume they no longer are functional right? Thank you for sharing.

I do not have any pics but can take some tomorrow morning when it is light out.

As for the controls, all of the HVAC controls work as well as the existing volume and tuner knobs work to control the HU.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Once they come out with their own kit for the Ram it's pretty much game over. The kits they offer for the Ford trucks, or the Mustang are of such high quality - you would think it is 100% factory.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794K1...a&awnw=g&awcr=74029585345&awdv=c&awug=1015170 - Note the HDMI, USB, and AUX ports at the bottom they added in.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794KM...a&awnw=g&awcr=69808490425&awdv=c&awug=1015170

The five buttons at the top are completely customizable on this Mustang kit - and they aren't soft rubber like Metra has been using.

OP
OP
S

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow definitely a nice looking kit. Thanks for the info Adrian. Any idea on when idatalink will be putting this kit out? It really looks like a higher quality kit.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a clue - I usually have an opportunity to speak with their reps once a year, but my company took away that event for this year.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually like this kit. Not that I would ever change my 8.4 screen but still a nice set

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those iDatalink kits look really nice. No brainer purchase if they come out with a Ram one.

salazarn54, here is a pic of the bezel with the radio installed.

attachment.php

And here is one of the HVAC Controls.

attachment.php

Once again, all of the knobs work, both HVAC and Stereo. The Screen Off button puts the radio in standby and the back button brings up the HVAC screen. I do believe those buttons are programmable though...I just left them standard. Also, when you turn a HVAC knob or hit a button, the HVAC screen automatically pops up on the radio and returns back to the prior screen when you stop hitting buttons or turning knobs.

Attachments

• bezel.jpg
    bezel.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 129
  • hvac.jpg
    hvac.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 136
OP
OP
S

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow! That looks good. So let me ask. Are you using the idatalink kit to control the hvac from your kenwood? Did your truck come equipped with the alpine system? Does you idatalink also show all the other info like open door or tire air pressure? Also what model model kenwood is that?