New Metra kit for replacing 8.4” uconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow! That looks good. So let me ask. Are you using the idatalink kit to control the hvac from your kenwood? Did your truck come equipped with the alpine system? Does you idatalink also show all the other info like open door or tire air pressure? Also what model model kenwood is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using the idatalink for the vehicle interface. My truck was non-alpine but with the 8.4.

Yes, the HU shows the doors open, tire pressure, battery, etc. It also adds performance gauges like 0-60 and 1/4 mile and a bunch of other vehicle info.

The HU is the Kenwood DMX7704s. Quite the bang for the buck IMO. It is mechless (no CD, I don't use them) a new DAC this series that is really impressive IMO.

Forgot to add, it has Android auto / Carplay which was my top reason as the navigation in the 8 series leaves much to be desired.

OP
OP
S

salazarn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great info bud. I appreciate all your input.

That was the only thing that was bugging me about doing the hu swap. The Metra kit was cool but why have the 4” screen when I could use the headunit to do all the uconnect features. This kit is much cheaper and even though I’m not to crazy about still having the radio knobs. I guess it’s a plus if they are still usable. I’ll be looking into the Kenwood ddx9903s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm running the same bezel as troutspinner, but I've got the pioneer 4200nex. Yes, idatalink brings up all that stuff...tire pressure, door/hood ajar, gauges, CEL diagnostics, and vehicle user settings. I can't justify paying ~$450 for metra's bezel with a redundant touch screen that you already have on the radio