No Boom Boom :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

Need some help, my subwoofer isn't making any noise. I've got the JL audio stealthbox, audiocontrol lc2i, and just upgraded the jl xd300/1v2 amp to the 600. Worked great for about a week. Went to drive my truck in the morning and the sub was unresponsive. Checked all the connections except the back of the head unit. The amp and lc2i show they're getting power. No blown fuses under the hood. Any ideas on troubleshooting?

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Need some help, my subwoofer isn't making any noise. I've got the JL audio stealthbox, audiocontrol lc2i, and just upgraded the jl xd300/1v2 amp to the 600. Worked great for about a week. Went to drive my truck in the morning and the sub was unresponsive. Checked all the connections except the back of the head unit. The amp and lc2i show they're getting power. No blown fuses under the hood. Any ideas on troubleshooting?

This happened to me a couple weeks ago, so I'll throw the.scenario out there. Did you disconnect your battery the night before? If I disconnect my battery, my unit will set the subs to off. Damn near tore my whole system apart before I figured it out..

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I'd didn't the night before but have a few times recently. How do I check to see if the subwoofer is set to off? Just in case... Because it certainly seems like it's 'off'.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I'd didn't the night before but have a few times recently. How do I check to see if the subwoofer is set to off? Just in case... Because it certainly seems like it's 'off'.

It will be in your sound settings somewhere in the unit. For my unit, just accessing the volume controls from the icon will not give me the sub on/off switch option, I actually have to go in the settings icon and then to the sound options.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will be in your sound settings somewhere in the unit. For my unit, just accessing the volume controls from the icon will not give me the sub on/off switch option, I actually have to go in the settings icon and then to the sound options.

you must have an aftermarket radio. i believe the OP is runing a factory as the factory doesnt have a sub on/off

OP do the speakers that you tapped your signal off of still work?

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you must have an aftermarket radio. i believe the OP is runing a factory as the factory doesnt have a sub on/off

Correct, aftermarket with direct line form unit to amp to subs

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yup,, oem headunit. Other speakers work fine that are aftermarket.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup,, oem headunit. Other speakers work fine that are aftermarket.

Have you checked your ground point since you swapped amps? Could have come loose from either the amp or where you mounted it from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No idea where the ground point is since I didn't install the system. There wasn't one readily near the amp... Guess I gotta trace that down.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked your ground point since you swapped amps? Could have come loose from either the amp or where you mounted it from.

Should be in relative close proximity to the amp. The ground is usually pretty short. If you can post a pic of your set up we should be able to point it out to you. Generally you will have 3 wires inputting for the amp power ground and REM. power is usually red but can also be purple depending on your install kit and the ground is going to be black. Both of these wires are going to be the thickest ones going to your amp

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, it's possible that I didn't reground when I swapped amps out since I didn't secure the new amp down since it's under the driver seat. Strange that it'd work for a week though. Now that I recall, a few days prior, the bass seemed to cut out or down for a second and turning down the sub level knob for a few seconds, then back up would help 'kick it back in to gear'. Wonder if my sub level knob is disconnected.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I just meant the ground wire might have come loose from the amp or the truck. Not the mounting of the amp itself. Bass cutting out is usually a pretty good indicator of either the gain being up to high (its not a volume knob lol) or a loose ground connection. Let us know what you find. I mounted mine behind the back seat and there were lots of good spots to attach the ground. Guessing your installer prob hooked it to the seat track mount bolt since it's under your seat.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I just meant the ground wire might have come loose from the amp or the truck. Not the mounting of the amp itself. Bass cutting out is usually a pretty good indicator of either the gain being up to high (its not a volume knob lol) or a loose ground connection. Let us know what you find. I mounted mine behind the back seat and there were lots of good spots to attach the ground. Guessing your installer prob hooked it to the seat track mount bolt since it's under your seat.

Knew what ya meant :D. I just meant when I swapped the amp out that I didn't bother securing it back down and didn't pay too close of attention for a ground. I turned the lc2i down and it didn't make a difference. By sub volume knob, I mean that there was a manual 'remote' sub level knob installed in the center bin that allows quick adjustment of the bass, which I believe is hooked up to the lc2i? Unfortunately, the previous owner had all this installed. I just swapped the 300 amp out for the 600. I went from decent bass, to realizing the lc2i was under seat and cranking it up, to cranking the lc2i up more and getting crappy sound at high volume, to swapping the 300 for the 600 and achieving awesome and clear pounding, to no bass for the past week. It's driving me nuckin futs lol.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Knew what ya meant :D. I just meant when I swapped the amp out that I didn't bother securing it back down and didn't pay too close of attention for a ground. I turned the lc2i down and it didn't make a difference. By sub volume knob, I mean that there was a manual 'remote' sub level knob installed in the center bin that allows quick adjustment of the bass, which I believe is hooked up to the lc2i? Unfortunately, the previous owner had all this installed. I just swapped the 300 amp out for the 600. I went from decent bass, to realizing the lc2i was under seat and cranking it up, to cranking the lc2i up more and getting crappy sound at high volume, to swapping the 300 for the 600 and achieving awesome and clear pounding, to no bass for the past week. It's driving me nuckin futs lol.

0d33f33377d2584f70f7b4e7f0537700.jpg
a19a6348d622014a10f8b1615a3da35c.jpg
380d783ca69e13b1810704e2f85eb0ad.jpg

Your bass adjust knob will plug into your amp(see pic) this is my setup. When you swapped your amp did you turn the gain back down on your LC2? And you verified power at the amp? Blown fuses sometimes don't look blown to the naked eye but will meter open across. Now this is driving me nuts lol. Hope you get it fixed soon

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amp has power, I've fiddled with the lc2i settings and nothing changed. It was hitting great for a week or so, so I'm guessing something shook loose. I did have to swap fuses for my 'cigar' lighter... I'll have to take another look after work this afternoon.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's some pics of the setup. The thick black wire is still ground out solid under the front seat carpet. Not sure where the thin black one goes. I'm still stumped.

Attachments

• IMG_20170707_162252.jpg
    IMG_20170707_162252.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170707_162311.jpg
    IMG_20170707_162311.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20170707_162346.jpg
    IMG_20170707_162346.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20170707_162711.jpg
    IMG_20170707_162711.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that thin black wire for a remote subwoofer control? If so, where is the knob to control it?

Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No Boom Boom

Here's some pics of the setup. The thick black wire is still ground out solid under the front seat carpet. Not sure where the thin black one goes. I'm still stumped.

Do you still have your old amp?

Try hooking it back up and see what happens.

Also while you're messing around down there fix these connections lol. Shouldn't have all that exposed wire hanging out.
b0f1523ed9d6d33463a33c6d7c78f5b6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swapped out the amp to my old one and cleaned up the connections best I could for the lc2i best I could and no change. It conveniently went out the day my SiriusXM 3 month trial expired too... Even renewed for 6 months to see if that made a difference lol. No luck