No Key Fob detected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ironhead3fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Friday, I pulled into one of the local shopping centers, one I have been at several times. When I attempted to lock the truck using the button on the door handle, it wouldn't lock (I have the keyless fob). After trying this several times with no luck, I tried it directly from the keyfob, after about the 4 attempt, it finally worked. Came back about 15 minutes later, the truck still would not react to the keyfob, so I could not get into the truck. Just as I was ready to break out the emergency key, it works, and lets me in. I have the push button start, and of course that didn't work either, saying no keyfob detected. After about a minute of this foolishness, the truck finally started. I drove it straight to the local dealer. The person at the service lane took a look at it and it started to kind of work, but not all of the features that the keyfob gives you would work. I am taking it back Monday for them to take a look. Of course, yesterday, it was working fine, and I bet you come Monday, they won't be able to find anything. Now the weather has been miserable here lately, but it was about 44° at the time, and the truck was salt covered due to the melting snow. Anyone ever had this happen, and if so, what was it?

Bigmutha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this happen on my work truck. It's a 2013 with an actual key and the remote is for the lock/unlocking of the doors. One day i went to work and the remote opened the doors, but when I went stuck the key in and tried to start it it said no key fob. I got the spare key and it fired up. I took it to Ram and they had to re-program the key, it lost communication with the truck. This has happened to two of our work trucks. On a side note, I had an aftermarket portable bluetooth device in the truck and the dealer was not able to program the key until they spotted the bluetooth and removed it from the truck. They reprogrammed the key and all is good so far.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
have you tried to change the battery in the FOB? i know you have a '13 and you shouldnt have to worry about it, but i know with just using it daily i can tell a huge difference when i changed the battery.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had to bend the prong that touches the battery in my key fob... id get the same results as you mentioned above,. and shaking it/tapping it on my other hand would get it to make connection and work.. once I opened it up to replace the battery thinking it was the battery I noticed the connection wasn't good. fixed that and works fine and now have a spare brand new battery at home.

OP
OP
I

ironhead3fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not try to change the battery. I have only had the truck since Sept 2013, and I don't drive it everyday, although I wish I did! I hope the battery in the fob doesn't wear out that quickly. I figure with it being under warranty, the dealer could pony up for a battery if necessary. I may ask them to reprogram the key and maybe that will help as well. I am taking it in to the dealer this evening. I really hope the result isn't "We couldn't find anything".

Batram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've had it happen a few times, but not as bad as your situation. There have also been a couple times the truck wouldn't recognize the key fob so it wouldn't start. In that case, just push the start button in the truck with the back of the key fob. Works every time. I find that my gf's aftermarket keyfob for her car would sometimes mess with mine. Occasionally if she left my truck & took her purse, my truck would flash 'keyfob not detected'. Very annoying. Oddly enough, her keyfob doesn't work at all now even in her own vehicle.

OP
OP
I

ironhead3fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Dealer says nothing exists in the computer logs to indicate what happened with the key fob, figures. On another note, the cruise control threw a fit over the weekend and they did find a code for that. They will be replacing a switch for that tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Keyless entry with the auto unlock option will cause it to go through batteries a lot faster. It's always hunting and on. Regular fob only transmits when you push the button on the older models without the option.

Radio shack and their battery replacement program is your friend.

They buy batteries in bulk. Hard to say how long it had been sitting between factory stock and the lot. I had a TPMS senor die on a 2 year old car.... so it happens with batteries.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.9L Cummings
Same conditions, 2 fobs failed

Hi there,

I had the exact same thing happen ... 2015 Longhorn, salt had been applied to snowy roads, and the temp was -10°C ( 14°F ).

We had driven about 100 miles and pulled into our destination, turned off the truck, jumped out and locked the doors.

My husband realized he had forgotten something in the truck so I went to open the door with the fancy handle that unlocks when I touch it and it wouldn't unlock.

My husband touched his door handle and it wouldn't unlock either.

He tried the fob and it wouldn't work, and my husband's would not work either.

We needed to use the key to manually unlock the door and then upon opening the door, of course the alarm goes off.

We needed to use the fob on the push button to start the truck which canceled the alarm.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was with yours ironhead3fan?