No power to radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of Pyle headrest DVD players tapped into my radio's acc wire. One of the harnesses for the DVD players got damaged so I had to swap it out. As soon as I swapped the harness I lost power to my Pioneer head unit.

My 2012 shows fuse M12, which is still good. The fuse on the head unit is also good. My dome light works as does the acc cigarette outlet.

Am I missing something? I heard there is an IOD fuse but don't see anything near the brake booster. Any thoughts on what the issue is? Is there a different fuse?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure on the 12s , but for the 13+ Ram's the in line 20 amp fuse near the brake booster looks like this .

9cdf0c2d11bba28198027c6e767c60f0.jpg

Hope this helps !

Maybe take a look at the battery post and follow every wire leaving either post looking for an inline fuse . I read one guy found his taped up with a harness ?

Sometimes radios will have a fuse that's inside the unit that requires partial disassembly of the head unit . If this is the case Google your radio p/n or module # you may find an internal fuse or other discussion on similar issue .

Good luck !

OP
OP
M

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything coming from the battery is a flat bundle of wire (no fuse holder).

I did some more digging. My stock radio works just fine. Unfortunately, I do not have another aftermarket radio to test, nor do I have an inverter to test my current radio.

I am hoping it is isolated to the C2R PAC harness. I found a fuse connected to it, but it is a unique fuse that I cannot tell if it is blown or not. Plus it does not list the amperage on it making it even more fun.

OP
OP
M

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Further documentation in case anyone else has this issue:

The fuse in the C2R PAC harness was definitely blown. When I turn on the ignition, the light on the harness did not come on. Since the fuse does not notate the amperage, I grabbed a similar color fuse. The light now comes on on the harness but the head unit still does not power up.

I spliced my constant and acc wires together with an alligator clip, did the same with the ground wire and then connected directly to my battery. The head unit turned on! The light on the harness also came on.

I think something shorted out on my PAC harness, so I am going to drop $70 to try a replacement.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you've nailed it down to the proper component .

Fwiw in the future to verify if a fuse is blown you can check it with an ohm meter for continuity.
Kinda sucks that some fuses you can't tell if they are good or not visually.

Glad you got it figured out Sir .