OEM camera Install now a check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I picked up a 2017 Tradesman 1500 quad cab a few weeks ago. I couldn't find one with the rear view camera option so I ordered an OEM kit and installed it tonight. Yeah it was a pain but I got it done. I need to go get the dealer to flash it with the code now.

But after I connected the battery back up and started it, the check engine light was on. Anyone else see this before? I don't have a code reader but I'll have the dealer check it when I take it to get it flashed.

Hope i didn't screw something up.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are you 100% sure you went to the correct pins on the bcm with those connections?

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are you 100% sure you went to the correct pins on the bcm with those connections?

Yeah pretty confident. There was only one wire to the BCM, the purple one. But I'll check it again this morning. I did put the camera on the wrong radio pins at first and had no radio functions. I wonder if that did it. Maybe the BCM recognized the radio had an issue?

I wonder if I should disconnect the battery again and see if it clears?

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just left the purple wire unconnected cause I don't care about the lines. I didn't have any CEL or anything

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I checked my work this morning and I did connect the purple wire to the correct plug on the BCM. I also tried disconnecting the battery and the CEL is still there.

I have an appointment on Monday to have it flashed to enable the camera. So I guess I will find out what is causing it then.

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the CEL code? Numbers?

I dont have a way to read it. If I find someplace that will do it for free, I'll see if I can get it. But if not it will be at the dealership on Monday.

Last time I tried, Advance Auto told me they no longer read them.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
When your installed the camera wires (31,32,33) into the wrong spot on the radio connector, you likey went into pins 1,2,3 which are for the CanBus vehicle communication wires and the airbag deployment signal. Bad mojo.

Hopefully you got those wires back in the correct spot and didn't cause damage to the BCM, radio, or camera. If you haven't already done so verify it against the pictures/info linked in post 10 of the Installing OEM Backup Camera thread ...
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=974372

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When your installed the camera wires (31,32,33) into the wrong spot on the radio connector, you likey went into pins 1,2,3 which are for the CanBus vehicle communication wires and the airbag deployment signal. Bad mojo.

Hopefully you got those wires back in the correct spot and didn't cause damage to the BCM, radio, or camera. If you haven't already done so verify it against the pictures/info linked in post 10 of the Installing OEM Backup Camera thread ...
Installing OEM backup cam - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Yeah thats exactly what I did. The instructions aren't very good and I should have read through those posts and pictures as I went. I had it wrong long enough to realize the radio didn't come on. Then I checked and found my mistake.

Yeah hopefully I didnt damage anything to expensive.

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking. I dont think it would have damaged anything but the radio. I plugged the camera wiring into the wrong pins on the radio and the signal wires from the radio I taped up individually.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long did you leave the battery disconnected? On older vehicles, I think the time frame was around 30 minutes with the battery disconnected to reset the computer, but I'm not sure with newer vehicles like ours that have more systems. I've heard/seen some say leave it disconnected overnight to reset the computer. Would be worth a shot if you haven't tried that already.

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long did you leave the battery disconnected? On older vehicles, I think the time frame was around 30 minutes with the battery disconnected to reset the computer, but I'm not sure with newer vehicles like ours that have more systems. I've heard/seen some say leave it disconnected overnight to reset the computer. Would be worth a shot if you haven't tried that already.

Yeah I only tried for like an hour. But I can try that.

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well whatever the code was, it cleared when I drove it today.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everytime I do an electronic mod to my truck I disconnect the battery before I start the mod , and just about everytime I disconnect the battery for any reason I get the engine light for a couple days and it just goes away ??
Same thing happened when I installed the backup cam.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get the XAC code flashed yet ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once activated, if the camera is not installed, should it still switch screens and possibly show a blue screen?
Or will it do nothing.

They are saying they activated it but its not switching screens. They are looking for an issue now with my wiring.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Once activated, if the camera is not installed, should it still switch screens and possibly show a blue screen?
Or will it do nothing.

They are saying they activated it but its not switching screens. They are looking for an issue now with my wiring.
You should get the blue screen that says 'check surroundings' even if there isn't anything hooked up

OP
OP
J

JAG-Flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah they are stupid. It works now. I'm guessing they didn't have it activated correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye