Ohms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have spent the last few hours reading and I'm more confused than ever.

All I want is better sound, not at all impressed with the Alpine system that came in my Longhorn. Not looking to vibrate the car next to me, I have played with the settings and just not happy with the sound.

I thought maybe I could just swap out the four doors for new speakers but every pair I look at Crutchfield says:
Replacing the 1- or 2-ohm factory speaker with a higher-impedance aftermarket speaker will result in lower volume levels.

This stereo is not all that powerful already, just how much will it reduce the volume by?

Definitely not going to replace the head unit and really do not want to start adding amps, just want better sound. I can't be the only one.

Has anyone with the Alpine "only" replaced speakers?

Thanks!!!

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm sure someone will chime in soon. I've heard a lot of people doing the mopiar kicker upgrade or they do the infinity reference speakers . Good luck with your upgrade.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't give you any direct answer to your question as I completely bypassed the factory Alpine system and went all new in my truck. I will say to be careful with the resistance rating of whatever speakers you replace the crappy stock ones with.

The Alpine amp is very picky about the resistance of the final load. I'd try to match the resistance of the factory drivers as closely as possible while swapping in a better quality speaker.

Tom

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Start with the 3.5 inch speakers in your dash. I changed all three to Infinity 3ohm two way speakers and it made an amazing difference! The only downside is you have to buy four speakers to change three. Worth it though and really easy to do. I've thought about replacing my 6x9's with Infinity 2ohm ones, but I'm not ready yet wallet wise

thegreat22

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Express 1500 CC 4x4 - Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get some 4 ohm speakers for your doors

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get some 4 ohm speakers for your doors

I'm not sure the stock ones are 4 ohms. I have my old ones buried somewhere in the garage. I'll try to dig them out and put a meter on them to be sure.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm not sure the stock ones are 4 ohms. I have my old ones buried somewhere in the garage. I'll try to dig them out and put a meter on them to be sure.

You are correct. Base radios are 4ohms, Alpine are 2ohms.

To the OP... You can use resistors to match the resistance. Example, a 2ohm resistor in parallel on a 4ohm speaker will create a 2ohm speaker. Parallel devide, in series adds.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can use resistors to match the resistance. Example, a 2ohm resistor in parallel on a 4ohm speaker will create a 2ohm speaker. Parallel devide, in series adds.
Close but no, you would use another 4 ohms resistor to get 2 ohms. If you use a 2 ohm in parallel with a 4 ohm, you would have about 1.33 ohms.
There is no need to ohm match down to a lower resistance, it's basically wasting power. If all four speakers are the same 4 ohms, it's fine.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Buy 2ohm speakers and you will be good