ok, I'm ready for bass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like most people, would like more bass out of my 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab with the Alpine subwoofer. But I think unlike most, I'm not willing to give up some stuff. I'd like to keep my rear under seat storage on the drivers side. And I'd also like to keep the fold flat floor that I have. I replaced the stock subwoofer with the Pioneer 8" TS-SW2002D2 and filled it with poly. But of course that didn't fix my problems.
I found a company in Texas (I'm in California) that makes a few different boxes. But even their smallest one, I'd lose the fold out floor function. Here's to some of their Ram boxes https://www.netaudiowf.com/store/product-category/dodge-ram-2/2009-2012-dodge-ram/2009-2012-quad-cab/1-subwoofer-boxes-2009-2012-quad-cab/
I've looked at small powered boxes that I could add to supplement the Alpine sub and mounting it under a front seat. Something like the Kenwood Hideaway. Or I'd even consider a bigger powered sub or a box like a "truck wedge" with a 8" or 10" and just keep it on the rear floor (on the floor with the seats down) and remove and unplug it when I need the extra space for passengers or cargo when needed.https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SBTS10V/Alpine-SBT-S10V.html But I get the impression from another thread that adding another sub to the Alpine box wont mesh well.

So what can I do for the cleanest, hard hitting bass? Is it true adding another sub to help the Alpine box will not sound good? Is there a sub box that will replace the stock one but allow me to keep my fold flat floor? I'd like to spend under $700 so I know that kinda limits me as well.

Last edited:

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been thinking this over myself after doing the folding rear seat mod for hiding my mini14 I got to looking I was thinking that the old pioneer 10" truck riders might just fit and they hit not bad for a small space and they would not rob from under seat storage the other option I've contemplated was removing the foot boxes that most people never use ( mines for ammo and beer) and making a box 2 part from fibreglass and using 1/4" expanded mesh to cover the opening while using a shallow mount 6 or 8 sub dunno I'm an old bass head and use to do a lot of IASSCA so I miss the options for putting boom in my truck

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
You could build (or have a shop build) a center console subwoofer enclosure. I've seen everything from four 8's, or two 10's, or two 12's, or even a single 15" subwoofer installed in the center console. It would be a bit more trouble than a simple plug & play box, but it would sound soooo much better if done right, and you can choose exactly what size sub, how many for your listening tastes and output needs. And yes, what ever aftermarket sub/enclosure you choose, it would replace the factory Alpine enclosure you are running now....they would not mesh well and its not even worth trying.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats a good idea! I'm not exactly sure where you're thinking about where the box would go. But I remembered there being some empty space in the center console. From underneath the dash all the way to the trans shifter I think.
I would be gaining space if I did that. By removing the factory box under the rear passenger seat.
Does anyone know of someone on the forum that's done it?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thats a good idea! I'm not exactly sure where you're thinking about where the box would go. But I remembered there being some empty space in the center console. From underneath the dash all the way to the trans shifter I think.
I would be gaining space if I did that. By removing the factory box under the rear passenger seat.
Does anyone know of someone on the forum that's done it?

I know there have been a few guys on DIYMA that have done the center console enclosure. Obviously the guys with the middle seat with arm rest on top have it a bit easier than the guys with the center counsel with shifter/ cup holders, but it can still be done. Another option that was just posted here on the forum about a month ago (and I have seen this done, and heard a few as well) is to build a single box housing maybe a 10" or 12", and place it in between the back of the center counsel, and the front of the rear seats in the middle (over the trans tunnel) yes a bit of room in the center of the floor is taken up in the rear seat area, but you could make it very easy to remove, the sub placement in the vehicle would sound really good, and you could have a few options on how/where you fire the subwoofer.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
i have been thinking/planning to upgrade the sub once i get some extra cash.

my current idea is to swap into the factory enclosure a kicker shallow 8" sub with dual 1 ohm voice coils and then use a small kicker 200w RMS into 0.5 ohm mono amp tied into the factory speaker connections...

Kicker 40CWRT81
Kicker PX2001

not sure how it'll work out yet though, feel like the factory plastic enclosure might not work out so well

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

my current idea is to swap into the factory enclosure a kicker shallow 8" sub with dual 1 ohm voice coils and then use a small kicker 200w RMS into 0.5 ohm mono amp tied into the factory speaker connections...

Kicker 40CWRT81
Kicker PX2001

not sure how it'll work out yet though, feel like the factory plastic enclosure might not work out so well

Using a factory enclosure is tough sometimes for fitment and I know you said you threw some poly in there but also mat the inside of it too. That might help if you have sound loss and reinforce the enclosure.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1

Kicker 40CWRT81
Kicker PX2001

any subwoofer that you put into the factory enclosure, you will ultimately be setting that sub up for failure...including the pathetic factory sub. You can poly till your face is blue, it'll sound like crap. The enclosure is by far more important that the sub itself when it comes to how it performs and sounds.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
If you do an under the seat box go with 10's I have 12's and they are nothing compared to the 10's in the same box with the same power to them. If you listen to more Country and Rock then go with a sealed box, for hip-hop a ported box.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Were you able to find a ported 10" box I've been on the hunt for one. I have two 10" type rs under the rear Seat. And I feel as if the box just doesn't allow them to hit like I know type rs to hit. They almost seem like they're being starved for air. If you could find a link for a ported enclosure that would be awesome. Maybe even after sell my current box. It's the best of the best lol I walked in to buy a new box for my old swr-10s2 that I blew the old box apart with them. After he offered me full retail -10% restock fee I ended walkin out with the owners setup out of his ram. Still need to upgrade the 500 watt alpine amp to the 1200. He's gonna do the same thing for the amps too. Perks of knowing the owner and being able to sweet talk him into selling me his setup. Lol

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
There's no way I would spend $700 on box alone, you could get everything and make your own fiberglass enclosure for less than half that.

You could run this box with some 12's and since it's ported you'll get some pretty good sound, I'm thinking of getting this one myself to get some cleaner sound.
DODGE QUAD & CREW CAB 2-12" VENTED

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Personally I would go with a single or double net audio sub enclosure. I run the single larger box that covers the 60 portion of the rear seat because I like the storage bin under the 40. I have a 12" JL audio tw3. I also used all hybrid audio legatta speakers, L1Pro tweets in sails, 3.5" mids in dash, and 6.5" in doors, with 6x9s in rear. I run 2 JL audilo amps. 1000/5 and 500/4 with a helix pro. This is the way to go as with the helix pro....you have infinite control of all aspects....including setting your own crossover and speaker slope with a 31 band parametric EQ! Truck sounds awesome and I can have 20 preloaded EQ settings at a touch of a button. As well as sub control with the new helix director remote. And if you really want to bring it to the next level....rip out interior headliner and door panels and dyna mat and dyna liner it all and then reinstall the interior....this is what I did and truck is like a recording studio inside. I used so much of this that with my bass fully up and hitting hard I do not have a single rattle or my rear view mirror doesn't even vibrate. Truck is tight.

Last edited: