One side of HIDs starting to yellow, bulb or ballast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone,
So over the past month or so I've noticed my drivers side headlight starting to yellow a bit. It is a 55w 4200k or 5000k (can't remember) kit from retroshop installed in factory projectors. Before I go tearing into it to swap bulbs side to side, does anyone know if I just need a new set of bulbs in there? 2 years seems realistic for a 55w kit, but it is weird that one looks fine and the other has dropped to probably a 3000k light with poor output.

thanks!

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Hey everyone,
So over the past month or so I've noticed my drivers side headlight starting to yellow a bit. It is a 55w 4200k or 5000k (can't remember) kit from retroshop installed in factory projectors. Before I go tearing into it to swap bulbs side to side, does anyone know if I just need a new set of bulbs in there? 2 years seems realistic for a 55w kit, but it is weird that one looks fine and the other has dropped to probably a 3000k light with poor output.

thanks!

i would question the ballasts, I put 3k in a set of fogs and when a ballasts went bad the bulb actually got whiter :crazy:

replaced the ballasts and back to normal

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

thanks!

I would say its the bulb.
I sell HID kits all the time, and whenever that happens, its the bulb.
The ballast either works or it doesn't.
I never seen it send more current or less current in all the years I've been messing with them.
I have seen bulbs go different color like 6k becoming more blue or 8k becoming more white.

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone,

thanks!
Sounds like the ballast.

But also try swapping the relays in the harness too.

My relay went bad and caused problems. It was the last thing i checked. :-(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk