Oops at the Mopar plant....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought a 2017 express quad cab the beginning of February. It came with the cargo light in the bed. I could not get this light to come so I crawled under the truck. What I found was a pig tail and plug coming from the light however Nowhere on the truck to plug it. Went to the dealership and after looking it over and checking sales codes they said my wiring harness was not the right one for cargo lights. My VIN has no sales code for cargo lights and they accidentally put that bed on at the plant. Now I have to wait for the general manager to come back on Monday to see how they will proceed. My family is friends with him so I imagine it will go smooth. Just sucks that it's not an easy fix and I'm looking at getting a new harness put on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcerOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemmskii
It definitely happens. As someone who works for Mopar Ive seen vehicle coming complete with factory installed heated seats and when they need repair or replacement theres no sales codes for it. Ive had to have build files pulled from storage to verify parts as the sales codes in the systems dont line up.

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It definitely happens. As someone who works for Mopar Ive seen vehicle coming complete with factory installed heated seats and when they need repair or replacement theres no sales codes for it. Ive had to have build files pulled from storage to verify parts as the sales codes in the systems dont line up.

Yeah I believe it. I'm not upset because I know it happens. Just wanted to post up at some of the crazy things that do happen. We are all human.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow , seems crazy but I sure can see how this would happen .

So how did they fix it ? Did they flash in the sales code and add the additional wireing required ?

Are you the same Robocop on the Challenger / LX forms ?

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow , seems crazy but I sure can see how this would happen .

So how did they fix it ? Did they flash in the sales code and add the additional wireing required ?

Are you the same Robocop on the Challenger / LX forms ?

They have not fixed it yet. Still waiting for them to get back to me.
No I'm not on any other forums.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
There are a ridiculous number of part variations out there. For the main body harness alone on 2017 HD trucks, there are 21 unique part numbers, just to give you a reference. Most of the other harnesses on the trucks have fewer variations, but still it borders on insane.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Imo , if you have a lighting feature installed on your BRAND NEW 2017 TRUCK ....Then it should work ! Simple as that ....

With that said , I think your dealership should make it right to say the least .
The lighting should work as if it was a factory install ...period...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just like those empty connectors
LOL , no not the empty connectors ...that's just a multi harness for different trim levels ....

The OP 's situation is completely different? ??

Did you read the OP ?

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am sure they will find a way to rig it up. I have noticed a few oddities on dealer lots in the past, but a different bed is not one of them. I wonder if they somehow ran short on the basic bed and somebody decided to use the upgraded bed to get through the production run :shrug:

WillDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My window sticker says auto dim mirror with display. Don't know what that means, but I do t have it in my truck (2017). Website build sheet doesn't have it either. Next time I go there for service, I'll ask about it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm not sure on the bed issue either. The dealership said that they will make it right no matter what. They had to call Corporate and go through the process though.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My window sticker says auto dim mirror with display. Don't know what that means, but I do t have it in my truck (2017). Website build sheet doesn't have it either. Next time I go there for service, I'll ask about it.

I believe the auto dim mirror with display is your rearview mirror , it auto dims at night for bright lights behind you , and the display would be the backup camera being automatically displayed in the rear view mirror when in reverse .
Do you have a backup camera being displayed in the mirror ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm not sure on the bed issue either. The dealership said that they will make it right no matter what. They had to call Corporate and go through the process though.

That's fantastic news , maybe you'll end up with the bed lights

OP
OP
R

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's fantastic news , maybe you'll end up with the bed lights

The GM at the dealership is a friend of my sister so we know each other. He said that since they got the truck with the light and sold it to me with the light that they will make sure they work and they will also make sure I get the auto dim mirror. Now to see if they stand by their word.

WillDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My rear view mirror has the manual dim, no auto. Back up camera is in the 5 inch touchscreen.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Is that listed under the standard equipment part on the left of the sticker? In parentheses it will have "Unless replaced by optional equipment". My guess is that the standard setup for your trim level is a backup camera with the display in the rearview mirror. Since you have the optional 5.0 radio, the backup camera display is moved to the radio and therefore you get a standard mirror.

WillDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's listed under optional equipment. But it's itemized under the ParkView option. So the 5.0 u connect may have superceded it, but without saying so.
It's not an issue to me, so I haven't gone back to question the dealer. As it was, I'm happy with the deal, and the mirror was never in play. Just happened to notice it on the window sticker after the fact.