Pioneer AVHX5800 or Kenwood DDX7300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsmarble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can get both for under $300 on Amazon. Features important to me are, dual camera input, remote and good sound. Reviews seem simaler Anyone have experience with these?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Eddi310

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Pioneer AVH-x4800bs, the one right under the 5800. the 4800 doesnt have dual camera inputs or hd radio tuner, either than that i think they're the same. I've owned the 4800 for about 6 months with no problems, I always have my phone paired via Bluetooth, so i can make/answer phone calls and play spotify or YouTube. I definitely recommend the pioneer

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the 5800 it got damn near everything but a remote, great radio

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nevermind I read that weong

OP
OP
B

bsmarble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oops. Typo it's actually a DDX773.. I think I'm learning toward the pioneer. The reviews seem to be a bit better other than the pioneer app.

Glenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
I had the Kenwood 773. I had problems with it freezing. I ended up returning it and getting the Pioneer 5800. I like the pioneer much better. The display is brighter and the interface is much more stylish. No problems with it at all. I recommended the pioneer.

OP
OP
B

bsmarble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the Kenwood 773. I had problems with it freezing. I ended up returning it and getting the Pioneer 5800. I like the pioneer much better. The display is brighter and the interface is much more stylish. No problems with it at all. I recommended the pioneer.
I read a review that supports your experience. I'm thinking I'll go with the pioneer. Have you tried the app radio one? I have seen reviews that say it really sucks..

603photog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I read a review that supports your experience. I'm thinking I'll go with the pioneer. Have you tried the app radio one? I have seen reviews that say it really sucks..

I have the 5800. In a nutshell, it's awesome. Does everything I needed it to do, has dual camera inputs, the Bluetooth connection works perfectly every time, and it also has dual Bluetooth connection functionality so you can switch between two connected devices for calling, messaging, music, etc. Only thing I'm sorely disappointed in is no Waze support at all. AppRadio and AppLive are supposed to get you there, but support was dropped earlier this year. This has been confirmed through numerous online forums with similar complaints from other owners of the 5800.

For my 2012 1500, modification of the internal support structure of the dash was necessary for the unit to fit properly; not sure if that will be the same on your 2013 or not.

For the video functionality, I just found this on Amazon and now have it sitting on my counter waiting to be installed. It is supposed to allow you to use video without needing to do the whole Set brake > Release > Set brake again that the unit otherwise requires.

MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers

I can also confirm that AppRadio1 absolutely sucks. Not a fan, at all. I now run a stand-alone 7-inch tablet on a cup-holder-based stand for Waze which is no longer supported by the app, stream my song collection from my phone to the Pioneer and use Google Voice from my phone through the Pioneer for all my calling and messaging needs.

Here's my install: Pioneer Head Unit Success!

Good luck! I think you'll like the Pioneer if that's what you go with.

OP
OP
B

bsmarble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice!! I think this is the way to go. How did you get the Ram logo on the screen?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5800 IMO is better than the 773. When you get into the higher end units with CarPlay, I would go Kenwood all day. The new AppRadio is not a bad radio at all. The first 3 where not the great but they improved significantly with each model. I actually have no functionality gripes with the 4.

OP
OP
B

bsmarble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all for the info. Pioneer it is. Seems like function and features for the money makes it the winner.

603photog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Nice!! I think this is the way to go. How did you get the Ram logo on the screen?

The 5800 (like a lot of head units, I'm sure) supports .jpg uploads for background images. So you can use a RAM logo, custom graphics, or the February 1986 ******* Bunny. ;)

There's a company called 5 Star Car Stereo that made a good YouTube video showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdZv0pMXZ8w

OP
OP
B

bsmarble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[quote name="bsmarble" post=1411306]Nice!! I think this is the way to go. How did you get the Ram logo on the screen?<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
The 5800 (like a lot of head units, I'm sure) supports .jpg uploads for background images. So you can use a RAM logo, custom graphics, or the February 1986 ******* Bunny. ;)<br />
<br />
There's a company called 5 Star Car Stereo that made a good YouTube video showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdZv0pMXZ8w

Great!!! My new abbsesion, finding an image..

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5800 (like a lot of head units, I'm sure) supports .jpg uploads for background images. So you can use a RAM logo, custom graphics, or the February 1986 ******* Bunny. ;)

Can't watch the video at work. But there is a 5 Star Car Stereo right down the street from our shop. I wonder if it is the same.

Glenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Don't buy it for Appradio. It never worked for me. I mean never. Everything else is fine.

LuckyRosco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015, 2007, 1997
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 3.7 Two Mice and a Rubber Band, 5.9
I've had the Pioneer AVIC 8100NEX and the 7100 NEX. I never could get the Pioneer App to ever work. Both of these radios were Pioneer's flagship head units.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always seem to work great for me with an iPhone. With the NEX units - why you would use that instead of CarPlay is beyond me though.

sickboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get whichever one has apple carplay or android audio. you don't know what you're missing until you use one of these....