Pioneer double din install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
I decided to go with the Pioneer 270bt head unit, and I'm just not liking the way it turned out. I ended up using the Metra kit for 2011 Ram 1500. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it look cleaner or what other brand kit I could use that wouldn't leave such a gap it would be much appreciated. Thanks
stereo%201_zpstwnol2n7.jpg
stereo_zpsurjczse2.jpg

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That should be a lot tighter are you positive you have the head unit aligned properly with the kit?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That definitely isn't done correctly as I've had that same unit in my Ram and it fits fine with the correct install kit.

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
I wasn't sure how the brackets went on the side of the head unit, and I couldn't find the same head unit being installed on the same year model truck. Could you post a picture of where your brackets are screwed in at? I'm not very good with audio lol

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I decided to go with the Pioneer 270bt head unit, and I'm just not liking the way it turned out. I ended up using the Metra kit for 2011 Ram 1500. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it look cleaner or what other brand kit I could use that wouldn't leave such a gap it would be much appreciated. Thanks

stereo%201_zpstwnol2n7.jpg

stereo_zpsurjczse2.jpg

Austin, that metro kit is trash. There is a lip on the top and bottom that prevent it from closing in on that gap. I had the same issue. Buy the scoshe version and it does not have that lip. I took the gamble of ordering another one it and it worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Austin, that metro kit is trash. There is a lip on the top and bottom that prevent it from closing in on that gap. I had the same issue. Buy the scoshe version and it does not have that lip. I took the gamble of ordering another one it and it worked out well.

I'm confused? The Metra kit is a left and right piece with no top or bottom. While I really don't like Metra and they going downhill Scocshe stuff is almost never any better. The only issue I have ever had with this Metra Kit is if you screw in the sides too tight it pulls the kit away from the radio. When you put in the bezel it usually pushes it back pretty close.

Anyways to the OP: you just need to play the guessing game with that kit/radio. The 270 doesn't have a lip on the radio so it doesn't help when installing. You just need to move the radio forward, test fit, adjust, test fit, adjust test fit, ect.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ This I had the sides flush with the front of the radio and then looked to see which screw holes lined up and anchored it in. That should get you flush and with no motorized face plate you won't have any issues with face plate hang-ups.

Metra doesn't make bad kits its just these are two cheap pieces of plastic and its really hard to improve on the design without a bit of custom work but for 15 bucks or free in some cases it will work great.

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
Thanks for the help guys...The lip on the Metra kit seems to be the problem because when I try to set the brackets flush with the face of the radio the lip pushes the brackets out to where it doesn't fit in the opening. I don't think it necessarily means that the Metra kit is complete trash but maybe the Scoshe kit is more suitable for this head unit. I'm just gonna try to adjust the brackets and if that doesn't work, I'll try the Scoshe.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let us know what works. Like I said, the 270 is horrible for mounting. Did a older F150 for a few things over the weekend (where you have to cut the dash) and it took longer to mount the radio than the rest of the install.

You could also try some short self tapping screws and move the brackets from a "normal" mounting spot on the radio.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the help guys...The lip on the Metra kit seems to be the problem because when I try to set the brackets flush with the face of the radio the lip pushes the brackets out to where it doesn't fit in the opening. I don't think it necessarily means that the Metra kit is complete trash but maybe the Scoshe kit is more suitable for this head unit. I'm just gonna try to adjust the brackets and if that doesn't work, I'll try the Scoshe.

i trimmed the lip on the brackets so the bracket would be closer to the front of the radio... doing this though you will need to modify the holes in the bracket as they wont line up with the hole sin the radio anymore

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L

That lip definitely stops it. My first install looked just like yours. Look at the scoshe pictures and that lip is not there making that gap more closed. It doesn't close it all the way (the kit has a curve) but definitely 1000 times better.

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
72783fdfd47d79da35d01a6d1607b9bd.jpg

Take a look at the scoshe kit. No lip and only $7.90 on Amazon with free shipping.

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
5334001be16e751ca861d26f39fcda81.jpg

Here is the metra kit that has the lip on the top and bottom which is designed to sit flush on the double DIN which prevents it from going back more. It doesn't give you the ability to move it back more and that's why I said it was trash (at least the engineering behind it). It should work on all double DINs because they are universal in sizing (if not, then they failed to account for other units in the market).

The Metra quality is awesome but that goes out the window when you have to modify it by cutting off the lip. It should work out the box which the scoshe kit does. There are no guessing games needed. The holes line up perfectly on the sides at the optimal position.

I would return the Metra and get the Scoshe (2 day Free shipping with Prime).

dale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used the Metra kit with good results and this is the head unit I have AVH-X5800BHS

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
Any recommendations on aftermarket door speakers? I'm going to do front and back, but I have no idea what speaker to go with as far as fitment. Also, are they're any tweeters that are a good fit in the dash?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I have used the Metra kit with good results and this is the head unit I have AVH-X5800BHS

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Any issues with the volume turning down when you start the truck? Did you connect the mute wire? I'm having some issues with a 5600BHS.

Any recommendations on aftermarket door speakers? I'm going to do front and back, but I have no idea what speaker to go with as far as fitment. Also, are they're any tweeters that are a good fit in the dash?

You should have 6x9's in each door. Dash is probably 3.5. People say Alpine kicker fit. Pioneer would probably work too. All depends on the budget and your goals. If you are running the 6x9s off the head unit, you are going to want speakers that handle 30-50 watts RMS and have a high sensitivity (90dB+). You can make some tweeter brackets to put in the stock 3.5 dash speaker out of 1/8 inch ABS plastic.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the volume turning down across the whole truck or just the drivers side? Does the volume drop on the unit or just audibly? Do you still have your chimes?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Is the volume turning down across the whole truck or just the drivers side? Does the volume drop on the unit or just audibly? Do you still have your chimes?

It turns down everything to zero, screen goes off. It beeps as the volume is going down. Throw it in reverse and the back up camera comes on. Put in drive and the screen is on BT or whatever I had on previously.

Pioneer guy said it might be a "tac switch" which I don't know what is or if that's the right spelling. He mentioned something about a steering wheel remote module which I do have but haven't done the button install yet. Maybe I didn't reset that before hooking it up. Seems like I have a few things to check before I take it in for service.

Sorry bout the thread jack.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It turns down everything to zero, screen goes off. It beeps as the volume is going down. Throw it in reverse and the back up camera comes on. Put in drive and the screen is on BT or whatever I had on previously.

Pioneer guy said it might be a "tac switch" which I don't know what is or if that's the right spelling. He mentioned something about a steering wheel remote module which I do have but haven't done the button install yet. Maybe I didn't reset that before hooking it up. Seems like I have a few things to check before I take it in for service.

Sorry bout the thread jack.

Tac Switch? Maybe the VSS Wire? Pretty much no one hooks those up anymore. Not sure how that would affect it though. I would try doing a hard reset and re-flashing your module.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Wiring seemed pretty straight forward when I did it. Everything had a home.

I agree with the reset and reflash. As soon as I can get it out of there, im doing that. I might disconnect the mute wire too just for fun if the reset doesn't work.

Thanks!!

Edit: pulled it. Mute wire not hooked up to begin with.

Last edited: