Planning a system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey Guys, I've not put any car audio together for a very long time and I'm not up on what what is the most and best for the money.

I'm pretty much set on the amp I want. I just want a descent 5 channel.
I've already replace my door speaker with Rockford Fosgate R169x3 6x9s.
The amp I'm planning on is a NVX JDA900.5
The sub I need is a bit of a quandary.

In the old day when I was building a speaker project I just plugged the woofer or subs specs into WINISD. And look for a nice flat response with a -3db roll of at or near the Fs of the woofer all within a reasonable cabinet size. So I'm doing the same with several different subs and I'm seeing what looks to me as inefficient and without a good flat response in the ideal cabinet per the Thiele/Small perimeters. My first reaction was "this is junk!" but I think what I'm seeing are trade off made so the sub can survive and deliver at punishing power levels with highly boosted bottom end. What I want to avoid is "boomyness" in the bass. That is what I dislike about most car audio I have heard and it sound like sh*t to me.
Am I on the right track here?

After looking at several I've settled on the Pioneer TS-W261D4
Dual 4 ohm. I'm not a huge bass junkie. I really don't care about rattling the windows, I just want a descent and smooth bass response. Just need a single sub, and the amp should deliver better than 300w at 2 ohms.

Do you think this is a good choice or should I look elsewhere?

SMVRam2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just posted this yesterday. You already have the 6x9s so.......a sealed airtight box, mono amp and 10" sub wired to 2ohms under the rear makes a big difference. I am in my mid-40s have had many vehicles and never kept a stock stereo ever. This may be the least I have ever done, the least amount of $$$ I have ever spent and couldn't be happier. The sealed box gives more of a punch and it's tight and smooth. Truck sounds 1000% better than stock.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

"I have the Uconnect 5.0 in my 2015 2500. I wanted good sound - solid bass for several genres and better overall sound from the doors without blowing it out as in all years past. I went with a Bbox and 10" Fosgate R2-D4 and a Fosgate R-250 1D mono amp wired to 2ohms under the back seat. I researched and spoke to Crutchfield (who I have purchased many things from over the years) to really find good inexpensive 6x9 that match the low output of the factory 5.0 and fit! They recommended a great choice (CF best price $150) then realized they were back ordered and after 5 days couldn't tell me when they would be on the way. I cancelled and then found the same ones brand new on eBay for $90 shipped to my door. I bought 4 Pioneer TS-A6966R 6x9s for all 4 doors. I made sure to get the Metra wiring harness for each door speaker and it took maybe 10 minutes on each door and they fit perfect. Once I got the sub box air tight and installed the 6x9s - I must say I am rather surprised at how full and good it sounds. The general sound quality and increased volume output in the doors is exactly what I was looking for.

All items were brand new and I'm all in at $313:
box $60
sub $48
amp $80
loc $15
6x9s $90
Misc wires etc $20

The difference it's made for that amount of money is absolutely ridiculous. Hope this helps others who may have been looking for this exact answer and fix like I was."

Hey Guys, I've not put any car audio together for a very long time and I'm not up on what what is the most and best for the money.

I'm pretty much set on the amp I want. I just want a descent 5 channel.
I've already replace my door speaker with Rockford Fosgate R169x3 6x9s.
The amp I'm planning on is a NVX JDA900.5
The sub I need is a bit of a quandary.

In the old day when I was building a speaker project I just plugged the woofer or subs specs into WINISD. And look for a nice flat response with a -3db roll of at or near the Fs of the woofer all within a reasonable cabinet size. So I'm doing the same with several different subs and I'm seeing what looks to me as inefficient and without a good flat response in the ideal cabinet per the Thiele/Small perimeters. My first reaction was "this is junk!" but I think what I'm seeing are trade off made so the sub can survive and deliver at punishing power levels with highly boosted bottom end. What I want to avoid is "boomyness" in the bass. That is what I dislike about most car audio I have heard and it sound like sh*t to me.
Am I on the right track here?

After looking at several I've settled on the Pioneer TS-W261D4
Dual 4 ohm. I'm not a huge bass junkie. I really don't care about rattling the windows, I just want a descent and smooth bass response. Just need a single sub, and the amp should deliver better than 300w at 2 ohms.

Do you think this is a good choice or should I look elsewhere?

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You should be fine Dr. Sealed box. Dash speakers powered by the head unit I assume? I thought a member was selling that amp not too long ago.

Found it http://www.ramforum.com/f21/fs_nib_5_channel_amp_$180_00_plus_shipping-108479/

Yeah, I've seen the JDA900.5 from $230 to 199 with free shipping.

Was going though my CD collection reminiscing. In the early 90s I had a Mustang GT with 2 Crunch 12s ported, two Pioneer amps mono to each. I can't recall the model of the amps, they were advertised as 250w bridged, but it sounded like it only made about 75w in reality. I was never into rap or any of that stuff they call music now a days. I demo my system in the old days with contemporary Jazz. Groups like Spyro Gyra and some synth stuff from Hearts of Space. At one point all the rage was band pass boxes. Everyone told me "you have to get a bandpass, man! You won't believe how good they sound" Well, I'm game. So to the local car audio shop and got myself one, pulled the heavy ported dual 12 box out and installed the 12s in the band pass. It sounded like absolute sh*t. The bass muddy and very boomy. I kept it about a week and sold it to a neighborhood kid for about $20 bux just to see it gone and installed my original box.
After that Mustang I got out of car audio. It was because I was never satisfied with the overall sound quality I could achieve. The car itself had very bad acoustics. I need a solid luxury car like a Lincoln mark 5 or something to built the kind of system that would sound good to me. No way I could afford that kind of car. So I sold off the gear. Sold the 2 amps to a teenager that some blew them both up screwing around with them. He had the gall to came to me and demand his money back. Sold the 8" mid bass woofers to a neighbor. The JVC head unit went with the car when I sold it. But the 2 12s are hanging on the wall in my garage. I always planned on building another project with them but never did. It wasn't long after I got married and that pretty much ended having extra money for things like that.