Porting a fibreglass box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatloaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab and I was hoping to build a fibreglass box this spring. My question is has anyone successfully ported a custom underseat box and if so how did you port it?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can port anything, what matters on a ported box is the volume of the port. So depending on your subs requirements you will have to build it to that specs.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is there a particular reason that you want to make the enclosure of fiberglass?
Speaker enclosures are usually made of wood except you need to make a strange shaped box.
Chris

OP
OP
M

Meatloaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to run two DC Audio Level 4 10"

Sub Size
10"​
Mounting Depth
6.25"​
Mounting Hole Diameter
9.25"​
Outside Driver Diameter
11.0"​
Motor Width
7.75"​
Weight
32lbs​
VC Diameter
3"​
Displacement
.16³ ft​
Magnet Weight
29lbs​
Power Handling RMS/Peak
1400 / 2800​
Impedance (Ohm)
D1 or D2​
Sd
324cm²​
Vas
12.42 liters​
Cms
.085 mm/N​
Mms
184.5 g​
Fs
40.2 Hz​
BL
19.18 NA​
Re
3.82 Ohm​
Le
3.78 mH​
Qms
7.77​
Qes
.49​
Qts
.461​
Xmax
23.5 mm​
Ref SPL @ 1 watt
84 dB​
Suggested Sealed
.75³ ft​
Suggested Ported
1.0³ ft​

OP
OP
M

Meatloaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a particular reason that you want to make the enclosure of fiberglass?
Speaker enclosures are usually made of wood except you need to make a strange shaped box.
Chris

Because it is going under the backseat and I need to get 2 cubic feet out of it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just do an external aero port out of the back and run it the length of the cab behind the rear seats (or whatever lenght you need)

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I would run a port towards the rear wall. You're obviously wanting ported due to output reasons, so aiming the port towards the rear wall will accent that decision.
If this is your first time building a ported box, do your homework and use a sub box calculator...if you get the internal volume, port volume, port depth wrong by even a tiny bit.....it will sound like complete ****. I think sealed with extra power and taking advantage of your trucks natural cabin gain would sound better over-all.

OP
OP
M

Meatloaf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input, I have definitely considered sealed. It would be much easier.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thanks for the input, I have definitely considered sealed. It would be much easier.

indeed easier, however don't get me wrong...the best sub stage I have ever heard came from a ported enclosure set up in a sound quality set up. One issue with ported is there tends to be a "hot spot" in your frequency response so to speak. Tends to be where the box is tuned and many people end up getting their "hot spot" too high in the frequency range....40hz+....you'll get a rush of higher output during certain parts of songs, or types of music etc...it can be a nice thing, or it can become a bit obnoxious. Now for R&B guys, this tends to not be a problem, but for all other music types, it can really accent frequencies in a bad way.
With sealed, your frequency response is much smoother and linear. So there are no output surprises during music. It's more predictable, and it can be a set-it and forget it type of sub stage. For output enthusiasts, like I said earlier...you can always add more power to off set the sealed "loss" of output....but its pretty minimal compared to a ported box (depending on where the ported box is tuned at)
This is somewhat sub dependent, but many sound quality guys will shoot for a pretty low box tune (with ported)...many go as low as 28hz or even lower....so when the hot spot shows up, the frequency is so low, it does not come across as LOUD from the listener.....sorry too much coffee this morning, but I take my sub stages very seriously haha

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
28hz is a beautiful thing for a ported box.... well it's at least a lot of fun. I had a buddy running ZX2500 on a 12" BTL @ 28hz back in the day and that thing was just absolutely brutal. Not the loudest thing but boy it did move some serious air for a single 12. If you found a song that played in the low 30s, high 20s range, you would of thought the doors were going to come off.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
28hz is a beautiful thing for a ported box.... well it's at least a lot of fun. I had a buddy running ZX2500 on a 12" BTL @ 28hz back in the day and that thing was just absolutely brutal. Not the loudest thing but boy it did move some serious air for a single 12. If you found a song that played in the low 30s, high 20s range, you would of thought the doors were going to come off.

haha, aint that the truth. Most higher end home audio guys won't even consider tuning their sub enclosures any where near 30hz or higher...most are in the very low-to-mid 20's hz. But yea, frequency ranges in the 20's don't really come off as loud....its simply too low, but like you said, a lot of air is being moved around and it helps with digestion too lol. Dave Matthews bass player will dip into the 20's from time to time and it's barely audible, but you can feel it!