Powering an amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to hook up a small sub and amp in my 13 ram. .had the base stereo .....I'm just wondering is there any other options to get power to it other than running to battery?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I would say no. I can't think of anything factory that you can safely use. You will either blow a fuse or start a fire.

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
No go to the battery it is clean power and you will not have to worrie about blowing fuses or messing up electrical components

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know a good route from behind the back seat through the firewall?

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know a good route from the backseat to the battery

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
There's a small plate in the firewall where I would expect a clutch pedal to go. There's 2 bolts under the dash that can be removed or just drill through it. Run the wire down the drivers side trim on the floor.

alex_5_7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To get sufficient energy u have to connect it to the fuse box.

ozzy_rt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Other than hooking up to the battery, you are risking a fire.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi

^ no, no you dont.

OP, please do not do this.

1) You will need to run 10 or 8 guage wire directly from the amp to the battery....depending on the amp wattage ( owners manual will likely tell you what size/guage wire to use )

2) As the other poster said, there are some areas just above or next to the brake pedal ( or where the clutch would be in the fire wall ) to push a power wire through the fire wall. I do not suggest drilling unless you can get a rubber gromet to keep the sharp metal ( resulting from the drilling ) from possibly wearing away the sheathing of the power cable. Somebody mentioned that there is a big huge rubber gasket type thing near the brake master cylinder ( when looking from inside the engine compartment ) that you can snake a power cable into the cab of the tuck and then tuck it away along the side wall near the emergency brake and then tuck in under the carpet and run it to where ever you want to mount your amp.

3) You will want to put an inline fuse inbetween the terminal at the battery and where it connect to the + terminal on the amp for extra security.

4) Please god do not even think of trying to tie the amp into your stock fuse box

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

NEVER NEVER NEVER do that for an amp! ALWAYS directly to the battery! most amp kits come with a fuse put that within 6-8" of the battery.

OP drill a hole where stated above and just simply run the wire under the carpet. take your time pop off the panels as needed. they are all held on by clips. if you search around on the forum there is a few write ups that shows the location they are talking about