Question About speaker wire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you could, but stranded THHN isn't nearly as flexible as typical speaker wire
Doubt your running amps big enough and certainly not long enough wire length to warrant even using 8 ga speaker wiring even for subwoofers.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see why you would need such a big wire for just speaker wire. I used one of the kits from Walmart to wire in my 2 10s and they sound great. I think a smaller wire would also be cheaper just imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PITA to work with and no point at all. Only time you need wire that big is when are running 3kw+ per sub.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a car audio installer, that wire would work just fine but it is probably overkill. Not sure what your application is but the wire probably won't be as flexible as a wire from walmart in the auto department or any auto store. If You're using it for subs I would just go with 12 gauge and for regular speakers I would personally just use 18 or 16 gauge. If the wire in question is something you have laying around collecting dust, go for it. I have used wire like this where the wire was visible and easy to mold the way I wanted it.

OP
OP
martinuresti

martinuresti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going with 4 gauge power and ground to amp, and I'm going to end up using 12 gauge speaker wire to wire the subs to the amp. The amp is 2000.1

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
they have pretty big gauge speaker wire at HoDepo, too. I just was at my local store, buying 12ga THNN, and I noticed they sold bigger gauge speaker wire, too.