Quirks and annoyances

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
So we've had our '14 Ram 2500 for about 7 months now. Mostly like the truck with a few minor exceptions.

Since the day we took it home we've had a 32gb flash drive plugged in the USB port in the center console. Up until recently when we'd switch from the radio to the flash drive in the USB it would queue up the music, and we'd select the album and no issues. Recently when we attempt to do this, it doesn't recognize the drive and we must remove it, reinsert it in the port and it will recognize it and start playing music. We've got the 8.4AN Uconnect system.

In the same vein, we've got the dedicated USB charging port in the center console (why couldn't it just be a regular 12v port) with a similar issue. If we have the USB cord plugged in all the time and plug in our phone it will not initiate a charge it won't do anything, we need to unplug the cable and plug it back in. We've never had this issue with our Jeep's, though the USB port was the same used for the UConnect to stream from an iPhone.

Last thing, has anyone else had issues with their TPMS system on their trucks? Our front TPMS has not been right since like day 6. I don't care too much since pressure is correct, but just annoying when the dash read for the front may be 65 & 67 or 63 & 64 and its flashing an error message says to fill tires to 65. The dealer tried telling me the system is really sensitive and can tripped if you're off by as little as 1psi or over by 5 psi, but then why do I not get a similar warning on the rears when they're down to 73 or 75 psi. Again never had this issue on our Jeep's, so really baffled. Also anyone else notice the Firestone Transforce tires can't maintain a steady PSI to save their lives?

Thanks,
Kevin

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your first issue could just be the format of the USB drive. I've had this exact issue. A reformat and reload of the music will fix the issue. Is it a lousy solution, yes but it works.

Your second issue has been documented on this site before as well as it happens to me time to time. It is definitely an annoyance, hopefully a software update in the future will address the issue??

Your third issue, get it to the dealer. It could be a bad sensor, warranty will cover that.

Unfortunately cars are so computerized today when we have not perfected the computer yet but if auto makers want to keep up with the competition, they have to offer computer like features.

OP
OP
BlackWidow

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
It's already been in once for the TPMS issue, but at that time it was only one that was malfunctioning, now both are. Sucks to have to bring it in, but what ever.

Not that it will fix this issue but wondering if the AEV Procal will allow for adjusting tire pressure like it does for Jeep's. Maybe soften up the ride around town during normal driving duties.

Stumbled on the thread about the USB charge port, so it doesn't look like there is a fix. Looks like speculation on if the port senses there is a cord plugged in all the time and cuts power after a period of time even if a device is not continuously plugged in. Weird if that is the case and hopefully can be rectified with a software update of some kind.

I checked the UConnect software and it looks like we were a bit out date. Upgraded from 14.05 to 14.25.5. I think the update is supposed to rectify some issues and make you margaritas or something. :naughty: I'll try reformatting the flash drive and see if that rectifies things.