RA1 - RA2 Upgrae Issue. Blue Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express RCSB 4X4
Engine
Pentastar
Well, I did the RA1 to RA2 upgrade. I bought a kit that had the rear view mirror with mics, the two harnesses, and the Radio.
Everything went well. At first I was getting a check engine light, but after making sure all pins were secured it went away. I'm positive I've got the wiring connected properly. Everything works just fine except the back up display.

This morning I went to the truck hit Settings on the Radio, went to Safety, and under Safety only Hill Assistance was listed.. I thought I should see Camera Display, and Assist lines. But nope..

So Can somebody tell me what my next step should be??
Or did I pick up a bad RA2 unit???

Thanks,, would love to have my rear view camera back, it sure helped hooking onto my trailer..

Thanks...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you still have everything with the BU Cam installed correct ?

#1 is the RA2 confirmed from a Ram Truck ?

#2 what year Ram Truck ?

#3 what software version is the radio ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was your backup cam a factory install ?
Was the backup cam in the mirror ?
Have you owned the truck since new ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe you need to update the radios software to the latest & greatest (FOR THE PROPER YEAR OF THE RADIO !)

and install the jumper harness ( From M2Mods ) a vendor here .
The jumper harnes connects the BU Cam signal from the mirror display to the radio display.
It is a simple install ...MPGRIMM2 with M2Mods can hook you up with the harness and install instructions.

FYI the questions I asked above will likely be asked by MPgrimm 2 as well ...

Hope this helps !

OP
OP
M

Markks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express RCSB 4X4
Engine
Pentastar
Was your backup cam a factory install ?
Was the backup cam in the mirror ?
Have you owned the truck since new ?

Yes, backup cam was in the Mirror, Now have the Mirror with Mics.
Yes, bought truck last October, New with 33 miles on it.. Yes, it is
a 2016..

I bought the kit from a fellow member, so I can only assume it was from a Ram. But year and version it has I don't know.. Can a Dealer upgrade the radio to the latest version???

Also, It came with a three wire harness that connects to the camera feed in the harness on the right side dash side. Then, those three wires went into pins 31,32, 33 I think on the back of the Radio harness. I'm positive I don't have any of the wires crossed, I've check that several times..

OP
OP
M

Markks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express RCSB 4X4
Engine
Pentastar
Oh, Yes the Backup Camera was factory Installed... It did work great while before switching radios, and mirrors. I might add that the BT phone works great, as well as the Ipod music. Of Course Compass does not work but I was expecting that.. XM works great, after calling them for the switch.

Thanks Fellas!!!!!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Was the reroute harness pinned at both ends or did you have to solder/splice the end behind the passenger air vent?

I will post some pictures shortly once I get back to my PC.

Also:
Get the PN off the back of the radio to id what year it's from and see if the seller has the Vin of the original truck the Ra2 came out of so you can get the correct update for the radio.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Are you getting the Blue Screen that says 'check entire surroundings' on the radio while in reverse?
(Implied from the title, but not stated)

If so then, it's not the radio. You haven't successfully rerouted the camera signals

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here's some info...

According to the sale thread you should have been getting a 2014 RA2 (for your 2016 truck). The PN should be:
P68226685AA (AB, AC, AD, AE) <- 2014

Please confirm the above PN.

To update the SW on the radio, you will need the VIN of a 2014 truck that came with an RA2. @R.L.K. can help you out with that since his 14 Ram 1500 came with one. I would recommend that you ONLY consider the fw update after you have verified your wiring 2 or 3 times and are 100% sure its correct.
There have been a handful of cases where people have bricked their radio during a sw update, usually because they were impatient and removed power, removed the usb stick, or opened a door before it finished. It can still fail on occasion for no known reason. (I just had this happen on a 16 RA3 radio I was testing in my truck).

As RLK implied, we do know that some features in the radios, such as backup cam settings & Parkview active gridlines are dependent on a minimum SW version.

Here's some of the pictures related to the camera reroute. There should be small embossed numbers at some of the cavities on the back of each connector as a reference to make sure you are using the correct pin locations.
You should be installing the pins into the female connector of the harness going up the passenger side A Pillar.

Attachments

• 1. i340 Mirror Conn Female - Layout.jpg
    1. i340 Mirror Conn Female - Layout.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 27
  • 2. i340 TPA 1.jpg
    2. i340 TPA 1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 3. i340 TPA 2.jpg
    3. i340 TPA 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 4. i340 Pin Release v2.jpg
    4. i340 Pin Release v2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 5. i340 TPA 3.jpg
    5. i340 TPA 3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Part 2...

Attachments

• Radio C1 & TPA Depopulate Pictures.jpg
    Radio C1 & TPA Depopulate Pictures.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 0. i340 Miror Conn Loc.jpg
    0. i340 Miror Conn Loc.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 14 Ram Came with the RA1 .

Thanks for helping out this guy Mike !

I'm in Panama city on Vacation , then to Disney , then to Universal Studios , and the finally my part of the Vacation going camping to scout for deer season !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Markks , to answer one of your questions above .

Yes the dealer can update the radio ; however, they likely will not because your truck came with an RA1 from the factory ( this really depends on the dealership)

Either way it's EXTREMELY important to verify the year of the radio so you can obtain the proper SW version for the update so you don't brick the radio during the SW update.

As MPgrimm said Step # 1 is to verify the 3ea wires from the connector behind the passenger's side air vent to the radio . Sockets 31 , 32 & 33 are confusing to lots of folks . I recommend looking at the back of the radio itself as pin 31 is clearly marked , just use the 31 pin on the radio as a guide reference.

As far as getting the proper SW imo obtain the vin # of the Ram truck that radio was installed in (FROM THE FACTORY) then go to uconnect website and put in the vin # , download the software and load it on a NEW 4gig stick . Also very important print the software update instructions as the process is important to follow properly.

Good luck Sir !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One more question , the fella you bought the radio from ... did he have an operational backup camera in the radio display with that same RA2 installed ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
One more question , the fella you bought the radio from ... did he have an operational backup camera in the radio display with that same RA2 installed ?

He hadn't installed it yet in his truck before he sold it. (Per the sale post)

Go enjoy your vacation!

OP
OP
M

Markks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express RCSB 4X4
Engine
Pentastar
Are you getting the Blue Screen that says 'check entire surroundings' on the radio while in reverse?
(Implied from the title, but not stated)

If so then, it's not the radio. You haven't successfully rerouted the camera signals

Yes, I do get that little message at the top...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes, I do get that little message at the top...
Then your issue is with the camera reroute.

Important question...
If the original dealer had the backup camera installed after delivery (it happens)... Some dealers do not install the official Mopar backup camera kit and instead send it out to a car stereo shop to have an aftermarket one installed that doesn't use the factory wiring. Easy was to know...

Q: Did you have the active/turning grid lines with the cam in the mirror previously?

If so, recheck the wiring at both the connectors at the passenger air vent (verify there are also 3 wires in the matching male connector at pins 8,9,10) and at the back of the radio (<-- many people get this one wrong as mentioned).

Go ahead and post pictures of your connectors so we can compare yours to mine.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Also, if the backup camera mirror kit was not a factory option, and the dealer installed the Mopar kit, you may have a Connector like the following coming through the firewall near the brake pedal...

Let us know if you do...
7262664043f116705595f52ca334bf3f.jpgb4530ef323551b7284102fd4bbe06aaa.jpg

OP
OP
M

Markks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express RCSB 4X4
Engine
Pentastar
Part 2...

Mpgrimm,,,, Thanks for the Pictures!!!!

I did not know that there was a lock and unlock on the harness under the passenger air vent. I shoved the pins in thinking they were a compression or friction fit.

Also at the back of the Radio,, Do I need to pop off the red cover prior to inserting the sockets??? Is that a lock also??

I'm sure glad you posted pictures of this... Do you think my three wire harness from the air vent harness to the radio is still good to go??? I applied pressure when inserting each end..

It's raining out side, and I don't have enough room in the shop, so I'll report back latter today or tomorrow..

If I can get the backup camera going, then not sure I would need an update??
Would I???

Anyway Thanks a Million!!!!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You don't need an update.

It sounds like you didn't get the pins seated correctly in either connector. So yes you absolutely need to remove the red lock plate on the radio connector to get the pins installed and you also must get the passenger air vent connectors blue pin lock in the release position to install the pins. Hopefully none of the pins were damaged.

OP
OP
M

Markks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express RCSB 4X4
Engine
Pentastar
You don't need an update.

It sounds like you didn't get the pins seated correctly in either connector. So yes you absolutely need to remove the red lock plate on the radio connector to get the pins installed and you also must get the passenger air vent connectors blue pin lock in the release position to install the pins. Hopefully none of the pins were damaged.

Sweat is the Success!!!!

I pulled all pins out when each harnesss end unlocked. Replaced and Got a Backup display again, on the RA2!!!... Took more than one try but I got there.
I did burger up the Black pin that goes to the Radio. Can those pins be purchased at the local auto store???

I I knew how to post a picture and send you a PM I would..

But My hat off to you!!! Again Thanks!!!!