RA3 navigation questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I know this topic has been discussed before but, here goes. I just got a 2017 BH a week or so ago. Didnt come with navigation, had a hard time finding a truck optioned how I wanted with it. So, had to sacrifice. Getting an RA4 from folks online is a chore. With my last truck I had to buy and return more RA4 radios than I care to think about because they were wrong part #, had water damage, in horrible shape, etc. I never used HD radio (no FM at all), most of the time I forgot the radio did 3D anything, rarely used the NavTraffic that I was paying for. So, is the RA3 add-on nav really that bad? For the guys that happen to be running it sound off!! I really would prefer to keep the factory radio in my truck should something flake out. I dont want to give the schmoes at the dealer any reason to tell me to **** off. Just exploring my options right now. RA4 prices are so all over the place plus I want a 2017 radio anyway. the RA3 nav can be added for $399 from Navrepair.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally use the Traffic and Travel Link but if you don't use that or the other features of the RA4 I would just activate the RA3 and call it good. If you end up realizing you miss some of the other features in the future you can always pull it out and sell it and install an RA4.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd download the nav on the RA3. I have the RA3 with the activated navigation and I really like it. It has everything I want in a navigation system. I really don't listen to the radio so I couldnt care less it doesn't have HD radio. A buddy of mine has a 2016 Laramie with the RA4 and the navs look identical except he has the traffic alerts. IMO it's not worth the hassle of swapping radios for HD radio and traffic.

FYI the navigation is already on the RA3, your just paying for the code to activate it. It literally takes 10 mins from start to finish.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didn't like it on mine because I had to say what country before I said the location.mine was a infotainment ra3 with Nav activated (long story)so I don't know if factory ones work that way.other than that in 2d mode its about the same.I don't use Nav much so if it did it again.I would go with a ra3.

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Thanks for the input guys. This may be the route I end up going. If all else fails I'll sell it and find a '17 RA4 down the road.

Dholloway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this topic has been discussed before but, here goes. I just got a 2017 BH a week or so ago. Didnt come with navigation, had a hard time finding a truck optioned how I wanted with it. So, had to sacrifice. Getting an RA4 from folks online is a chore. With my last truck I had to buy and return more RA4 radios than I care to think about because they were wrong part #, had water damage, in horrible shape, etc. I never used HD radio (no FM at all), most of the time I forgot the radio did 3D anything, rarely used the NavTraffic that I was paying for. So, is the RA3 add-on nav really that bad? For the guys that happen to be running it sound off!! I really would prefer to keep the factory radio in my truck should something flake out. I dont want to give the schmoes at the dealer any reason to tell me to **** off. Just exploring my options right now. RA4 prices are so all over the place plus I want a 2017 radio anyway. the RA3 nav can be added for $399 from Navrepair.

I just looked as I'm looking to add factory navigation to truck I just purchased and Navrepair is now charging $425.... Would be nice to find it cheaper somewhere else...?

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I just looked as I'm looking to add factory navigation to truck I just purchased and Navrepair is now charging $425.... Would be nice to find it cheaper somewhere else...?

They have a coupon code on their site that puts it at $400. It's not a huge discount but it's something.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't like it on mine because I had to say what country before I said the location.mine was a infotainment ra3 with Nav activated (long story)so I don't know if factory ones work that way.other than that in 2d mode its about the same.I don't use Nav much so if it did it again.I would go with a ra3.

I have a 16 RA4 and I never have to say what country I am in when I use the voice activated Nav. It actually works pretty well.

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I never even tried entering an address with voice rec on the RA4 in my old truck.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't have to say what country on my 2016 ra4 either.but like I said in my post the ra3 with activated nav I did.but it came from infotainment with nav activated. I know they sell alot to other countries so I don't know if I had one of those or if all ra3 with activated nav are like that.but for 400.00 to activate nav I would just sell your ra3 and buy a ra4.if you could find a deal it would be cheaper.

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I'll keep an eye out for a super deal on a '17 radio. I'm not gonna go to great lengths to find one. It would be different if I didn't have to go through the same ordeal I did to get the last clean RA4 that I had.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i hear you.i use nav so little i would be better off with just a phone app or a stand alone garmen.