Radio Active - Front stage Xover Starting points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbo1man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Lonestar
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up a Kicker IQ500.4 amp+dsp, damn this thing is small (9 1/2" x 8 3/4" x 2")!! This will definitely be a "budget SQ" build.

I'm in the process of building a platform for it, which will sit below the rear center seat / FFF - that spot was made for this amp.

It'll be driving Alpine SPR-60c's, which I've really grown to appreciate the past few weeks as they've broken in. I thought about the Hertz ESK's, and when I auditioned them I wasn't wowed enough to kick up the extra dough - albeit we're only talking about an $80 difference at the end of the day. I'll upgrade eventually, but I'm digging the type R's so they'll stay in for now (tweets in sail, mid in factory door location). Rears are kicker CS 6x9's, and will be powered off the HU. I wanted to keep the ability to fade them in if I wanted, but they are most certainly not a focus of this install.

Anyway... recognizing that Mfg'ers passive XO's are proprietary, anyone have any suggestions as to starting XOver points? Here is what I was thinking, but would appreciate some guidance from gurus running active (also attached).

Tweets: HP 2500 @ 24
Mids: BP 120-2500 @ 24
Sub: LP 120 @ 12 (Kicker Hideaway, so separate amp, under front passenger seat)

Thanks, in advance!!

Attachments

• Twtr XO_23Nov15.jpg
    Twtr XO_23Nov15.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 78
  • MidR XO_23Nov15.jpg
    MidR XO_23Nov15.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would start with a higher xover on the tweets specially since the design of the 6.5 makes it extend into the upper frequencies. Id say 4000 with the 24db xover would be a very safe place for that tweet. Also I would drop the mid to 80hz, 63 would be a good point as well but if you like loud volumes these speakers won't hold up to playing that low.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would suggest very similar to what Etroze said. 4khz would be a safe starting point between the Tweet/Mid but I have a feeling you could find yourself around 2khz when said and done.

Sub/Mid I would go 80hz. Taking that sub up to 120 will probably muddy things, the same could be the said for going any lower on the mid at higher volume.

I am also a L/R Guy at 24db on the crossovers. Tinker with them to find what is right to your ears.

Can't wait to hear of your impressions on that Amp/DSP combo. I've been waiting for someone on the board to try this.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Once again, and as always...these guys gave you great starting points. Now the fun begins, finding the sweet spot for YOUR truck.