Radio cuts out when lights are on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
So yesterday I installed my opt7 Led fluxbeam x lights, which are great. But when I got in my truck today I noticed when I turn my lights on all but 2 of my saved FM radio stations go to static, and as soon as I turn the lights off the radio signal is back to normal. I took a video of it but I don't think I need to post it. Does anyone have any ideas why this is going on?

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Do the ballasts have a ground? Check your grounding, make sure it's a good spot?

hiram23clarke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem with mine as well, I even tried some of those ferrite beads an no luck. Grounded the negative wire to an extra ground point and still no luck.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue, I am pretty sure it is a problem with the fluxbeam x's emitting too much emf. I tried parking my truck next to my wife's car and it actually interferes with her radio as well.

I was going to try and upgrade the factory grounds, but I truly believe its bad design with no regard for EMF...

Can anyone confirm that the factory ground points for the headlight hardness are the 2 spots in the engine bay on each fender? I more or less traced them back to that point but it was a bit hard to confirm. I was going to run 4 gauge wire from the battery directly to these points as a last ditch effort.

I tried shielding the headlight back with copper tape to stop some of the emitted efi intererence (attached). It generally helped, i can get 4/6 of the radio stations i listen to cleanly now. 2 still have problems but they atleast come through. before i could get 1 of them.

If the ground doesnt work I was going to try sourcing a slightly longer antenna but that may not really help either..

Attachments

• 20170122_191025.jpg
    20170122_191025.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 45

hiram23clarke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried adding an extra ground points, an the still didn't solve the problem.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed. Im about 2 hops and half a skip away from picking up some Fluxbeam X's.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have reflectors and dont want to drop $600 on head lights at the moment.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The opt7 flux beam x bulbs work on 99% of rams. Its the very few that it wont work on. It all depends on your towns local radio wavelengths i believe.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemipower392

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
The opt7 flux beam x bulbs work on 99% of rams. Its the very few that it wont work on. It all depends on your towns local radio wavelengths i believe.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

You're right because 3 of the College Station radio channels will work but the rest won't

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unfortunately it's a common issue with the power supplies used in lower quality (generally Chinese) lighting. They simply don't put enough effort into shielding and mitigating EMI. People have been dealing with it for years with non-OEM HID kits and the same is still true now that LEDs have replaced them as the next fad.

You can try ferrite beads and the like, but you'll likely not be able to eliminate the issues entirely.

hiram23clarke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should of taken a picture of all the ferrite beads I put on, I bought a box of 40 ferrite beads and put them all on the wires,