Radio recption is terrible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Anyone else have a terrible am/fm radio in their trucks?

I can't seem to get even local radio stations in clearly for an extended amount of time. Stations where I would normally get in relatively clear in any other vehicle I can't get in my truck. Is there some kind of setting I can adjust or am I just stuck with a crap radio?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
which radio do you have? i know in both of my rams i have had (both had the 8.4) there is no issue. however on my '15 chrysler 200 with the 5.0 radio it sux in there.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I really can't say. All I know is it's the touch screen one. I'll see if I can find out what version it is.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I really can't say. All I know is it's the touch screen one. I'll see if I can find out what version it is.
Picture?

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
are you in BFE? I put on a 3" attenna and don't have any issues with that, even in the mountains ..

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anyone else have a terrible am/fm radio in their trucks?

I can't seem to get even local radio stations in clearly for an extended amount of time. Stations where I would normally get in relatively clear in any other vehicle I can't get in my truck. Is there some kind of setting I can adjust or am I just stuck with a crap radio?
Do you have an HID kit or an LED kit? These have been known to sometimes cause interference with our trucks radios.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
In my entire life I've never had a Chrysler Corp. factory radio get decent reception. This goes all the way back to my 70 Duster

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I do have HID headlights. Maybe that's it. Today for the most part the radio sounded just fine. It seems it chooses when it wants to sound like crap. I checked the system info on it and I didn't see anything that said 8.4. I'll try to remember to get the info off of it tomorrow and I'll post it.

lmc22391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my 2011, I had the basic no touch screen radio, it had ok reception with the factory antenna and then i put a stubby antenna on it and the reception dropped. Now on my 2016, I have great reception with my factory, kinda tempted to put a stubby on, but dont wanna lose reception, that and the fact that the stubby broke off on my 2011 in a car wash.

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have HID headlights. Maybe that's it. Today for the most part the radio sounded just fine. It seems it chooses when it wants to sound like crap. I checked the system info on it and I didn't see anything that said 8.4. I'll try to remember to get the info off of it tomorrow and I'll post it.

its likely your headlights, try the radio with the lights on/off

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
mine sucked from day 1. XM worked great of course. Lights on/off doesn't matter

PheasantHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you find a solution let me know, my reception on my 2014 is also terrible

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you find a solution let me know, my reception on my 2014 is also terrible

Would you guys by any chance be running a cheap USB charger that plugs into the cig lighter and an iPhone cable. I used to have crap reception then it had dawned on me one day. The USB charger wouldn't affect radio until a cord was run into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who listens to AM and FM these days :). For the past 8 to 10 years I only listen to satellite. To much DJ talk and commercials on AM and FM.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Check your mast antenna. Unscrew it and make sure there is no water in the socket.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Who listens to AM and FM these days :). For the past 8 to 10 years I only listen to satellite. To much DJ talk and commercials on AM and FM.
SIRUS sucks. Hate their washed up MTV V-Jays and repetitive play list. No more Rush or Who EVER!!!

I listen to a lot of news talk on AM and use the HDD and my iPod most of the time, but There are a couple of FM long hair maggot infested red diaper doper baby channels I can listen to for a little bit at a time, one new/alt/indie and the other classic rock.

I can't stand the pop/hip-hop/rap stuff on the bubble gum channels. :word:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I do! back in the early days of sat radio (early 2000's) it was great. no commercials or talk on sat radio. Now days half of the stations are no different than local radio. always playing the same songs over and over, talk , talk...

My current vehicles are the first in the last 6+ years i didnt pay for the service, but over the last year i really havent missed it at all.

Would you guys by any chance be running a cheap USB charger that plugs into the cig lighter and an iPhone cable. I used to have crap reception then it had dawned on me one day. The USB charger wouldn't affect radio until a cord was run into it
No im not. On the 5.0 radio in my 2015 chry 200 the reception sux at all times.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Turn a station on that comes in clean and clear. Then while it's still on, turn on your headlights. If it becomes static'y or scrambled once you turn your lights on then your hid kit is interfering with your radio signal. A ton of hid kits and led kits are well known to cause radio interference on Rams.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk