radio stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebluebeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My factory radio stopped working. Sirius still works, cd and aux all still work AM & FM...Nada, zilch, zip...nuffin. any ideas?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
static or is it silent?

I would look for an antenna or memory fuse. Very strange.

OP
OP
T

thebluebeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
static or is it silent?

I would look for an antenna or memory fuse. Very strange.

Dead silent...everything else is working fine. ..just the AM/FM radio portion is completely dead. Sirius works, cd, auxiliary port...everything else works. I was listening to the radio and it just quit. I thought maybe the station went dead for a minute but 3 days later still nothing and I've tried everything.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
only thing i can think of is the antenna but i thought thered still be static if your antenna quit or came unplugged.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP, is there anything on the display while AM/FM are selected? Some rides are programmed to ignore static and play silent if a signal strength is below a certain level. If no display, radio is dead.

If you do have display, change the antenna out (swap with another vehicle if possible). Most common cause though is a broken/bad connection on the antenna wire. Depending on signal strength, FM (due to higher frequencies) can sometimes be picked up off the rest of the cable, but AM needs the complete antenna to work. Make sure your antenna wire is connected to both the antenna and the radio, run a continuity test on the wire. If this still doesn't solve the problem, it's likely the electronics inside the radio have STB.

OP
OP
T

thebluebeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Radio displays just as normal. Volume goes up and down on display just absolute silence from it in both AM and FM. I suppose the antenna wire COULD have come loose I just don't see how. We were just driving down the street and it just flat quit workin...

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Radio displays just as normal. Volume goes up and down on display just absolute silence from it in both AM and FM. I suppose the antenna wire COULD have come loose I just don't see how. We were just driving down the street and it just flat quit workin...

years and years of vibrations.

OP
OP
T

thebluebeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4 years worth? I've had radios plugged in for decades and never had an antenna come unplugged. I mean, anything is possible, but it seems like there would be static or something. This is complete silence. I'll pull the radio this weekend and double check but something tells me I'm not going to find an issue with the antenna. There isn't a separate fuse for just the rafio, is there?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not that I'm aware of. In any case, the wire may have not been tightened correctly at the factory or the antenna may have been replaced, (unless you the original owner?). If you don't find anything in the antenna wiring, take it to the dealer for diagnosis. The antenna is the only thing the AM/FM have in common outside the head unit itself as far as I know.

OP
OP
T

thebluebeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok I pulled the radio everything was tight I drove the truck do dinner last night and my wife informed me that the radio it startedworking yesterday. if you leave the radio on in about 5-10 minutes it will start working. as soon as you shut the truck off turn it back on it stops for about another 5-10 minutes

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ahhh... that would be your radio delay timer! jk. Sorry, I've no other ideas, never heard that symptom. Not like it has tubes that need warmed up..lol.

uconnect65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Intermittent issues always surfaced under temperature changes. Molecules in electronic components expand and compress in cold and warm temperatures. You may have a defective tuner in your radio. When the tuner stops working, press the seek button. If the the radio stops, the reception is ok but The audio portion in the tuner is malfunctioning.
If the tuner keeps seeking then the problem is in reception area. Either way you have a defective radio.

OP
OP
T

thebluebeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Intermittent issues always surfaced under temperature changes. Molecules in electronic components expand and compress in cold and warm temperatures. You may have a defective tuner in your radio. When the tuner stops working, press the seek button. If the the radio stops, the reception is ok but The audio portion in the tuner is malfunctioning.
If the tuner keeps seeking then the problem is in reception area. Either way you have a defective radio.
I have done this. .it goes to the next station. ..today I noticed that it would come on with no sound. Drive for a little bit and the radio would begin playing. 20 minutes or so down the road and it would just stop again. And eventually come back on. But if it was an audio issue, wouldn't I notice it with a cd or the Sirius or aux input also? Those all seem to be functioning fine

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
not really.....i just put a new kenwood touch screen in my truck. worked great the day i put it in....came back from vacation and got into my truck. started it up and the sirius xm scrren was there but it wouldnt play songs or anything. i shut the radio off ,waited a few secs and turned it back on and it worked.when this isnt working i can play the fm or a disc with no issues. its like the xm screen is froze and didnt finish loading correctly. i called crutchfield and they were sure it was the xm tuner so i bought a new one.......didnt help it still does this......ill have a new radio on weds to replace this one.....stay tuned....

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did Yiu plug anything into the aux usb?
Mind did the sane ring when i did that. Took a few restarts but it cane back

OP
OP
T

thebluebeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a usb. I have the "res" radio and while it does have the buttons,it is not equipped with uconnect. I seen in the owners manual where it said it would have one in the upper glove box and there is nothing there
I looked for the bus wire that many have said they found under the dash taped up in the loom and I couldn't find it.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any resolution on this? I got in my truck after work and no am/fm.. XM works fine. The steering wheel button will not turn off of XM and when I manually select am/fm from the head unit, the presets are gone.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Started working on the next vehicle startup... Weird

06reata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My 2012 express am/fm stopped working. Cd, sat worked. Seek would pickup stations but no sound. I pulled the radio out of dash to check connections and while messing with the antenna cable sound came on.....i have a bad antenna cable. Move it one way it stops working move another way it comes on. The cable does a 90 degree at the terminal plug so i tweaked it pretty good to where it now stays on. Must be a broken cable..ordering a new antenna assembly tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk