Rear view camera installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I decided to go ahead and tear apart my dash again last night and install my backup camera. While I was behind the dash I also put in my parking brake bypass so I can watch movies while driving. :naughty:

Anyways, the camera install was fairly simple. You have to take off the access cover on the back of the tailgate and remove the tailgate handle. On the left side of the handle on the back there is an outline of where the factory camera installs. I used this as a guide to drill a 1" hole with a hole saw. I then had to slightly enlarge the hole with a dremel and the camera fit perfect. At first I installed the camera flush with the handle but I could not see the hitch, which is a big reason for me getting the camera. It came with a couple of angled spacers, so I used the thin one to point the camera a little closer to the ground. I can now see the hitch, but just barely. I will be taking it apart later and modifying the spacer, but for now it will work.

It comes with about 17' of video cable, but that was about 15' too short for me. I had some shielded data cable cable laying around, so I got an extra 6' video cable, cut it in half, and made a longer cable, then used a female-female adapter to join the 2 cables. I will buy a longer cable to install when I put in my amp and sub here soon. I ran the video cable through the cab under the door sils to the under floor storage on the drivers side. If you pull back the carpet inside the storage cubby, there is a plastic grommet that you can drill out for your cable. Then just route it along side the frame to the tailgate. For the camera power I used the reverse output at the 7 pin trailer plug and grounded the ground wire on some nearby sheet metal.

Overall it turned out nice, but I still need to clean things up a little and do some adjusting. Here are a couple of pics. Sorry for the dirty truck. ;)

IMG_9583.jpg
IMG_9582.jpg
IMG_9584.jpg
IMG_9588.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
any way to shove it back further in the hole? :D

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Great install man!

ditto on that one.

Morgan - why don't you come up to STL sometime? You can install my remote start and I'll nab a camera......and I'll retroize your lights. LOL :crazy:

Wish we had more people locally that I could barter with!

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ditto on that one.

Morgan - why don't you come up to STL sometime? You can install my remote start and I'll nab a camera......and I'll retroize your lights. LOL :crazy:

Wish we had more people locally that I could barter with!

Jeremy, if you were a little closer, I would take you up on that in a heartbeat!

As far as shoving it further back in the hole, you can take off the spacer and make the camera sit flush against the handle. I had it like this originally, but I couldn't see my hitch and that was unacceptable! will do some cutting and grinding in the near future to see if I can increase the angle a little and get it closer to the handle.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Jeremy, if you were a little closer, I would take you up on that in a heartbeat!

As far as shoving it further back in the hole, you can take off the spacer and make the camera sit flush against the handle. I had it like this originally, but I couldn't see my hitch and that was unacceptable! will do some cutting and grinding in the near future to see if I can increase the angle a little and get it closer to the handle.

If I didn't have kids.........and a wife........I'd come down! :D

Or if my brother had a bigger garage - he lives in Springfield, MO - not sure how far you are from that (I'm about 200 miles from there).

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If I didn't have kids.........and a wife........I'd come down! :D

Or if my brother had a bigger garage - he lives in Springfield, MO - not sure how far you are from that (I'm about 200 miles from there).

I'm only 179 miles to Springfield...:naughty:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
don't tempt me.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like its a date for you guys...Install looks good man! Glad it functions for you!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every truck should come with a camera, imho. They totally change the game for backing uo (and safety).

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Every truck should come with a camera, imho. They totally change the game for backing uo (and safety).

I agree! I can't wait till summer so I can see how helpful it will be hooking up the boat. I normally hook up the trailer by my self and have to get out 2 or 3 times to judge distance. I tried to have my wife help me a couple time and well, you know how that goes....

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
B/U cameras are a freaking life saver! I agree 100% with George, they all need one to make it a lot easier.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree! I can't wait till summer so I can see how helpful it will be hooking up the boat. I normally hook up the trailer by my self and have to get out 2 or 3 times to judge distance. I tried to have my wife help me a couple time and well, you know how that goes....

My family was down this summer and watched me hook up the boat. They didn't know about the camera. I backed right up in one shot and stopped with the ball perfectly under the trailer. They were all singing my praises and I just said "Yeah, I'm that good."

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Nice install there. Is there more benifit to istalling it there instead of beside the 7 way pul or bumper?

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
... i drive about 300 every other weekend to cs...

CS as in College Station? There is only one reason to go to College Station :naughty:

Man the bars there sucked! Thanks for the trip down memory lane :birgits_tiredcoffee

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
haha yea college station ;)

havent been to the bars yet since ive turned 21 but i do know most are pretty new now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye