Relay to switch ground question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am looking to add RGB+W LED strips to my truck's bed lighting. I am going to wire the RGB controller to control the RGB portion of the strip separate of the white LEDs. Essentially when the OEM bed lights are activated the white leds will come on. Then I can control the RGB via my phone as I please (will either be constant power to the controller or relayed to ignition).

However, to do this I need to supply a constant 12 volt from battery to the LED strips and then have the ground be what is switched by the relay. So all of this comes down to a simple question; does this diagram show the proper way to use a relay with a positive trigger to relay a ground connection?

Do i make any sense? First picture is how i BELIEVE i should be able to hook this up, second picture is the stock wiring diagram for the relay based off of switching a + signal.

Attachments

• relayforneg.jpg
    relayforneg.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 70
  • 71ZG64TjzqL._SL1500_.jpg
    71ZG64TjzqL._SL1500_.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 164