Relocate USB Port?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014BigHorn2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I hate that the USB port is in the armrest. I would like to move relocate to somewhere more convenient for me. Question is, can I just unplug it from the back of the radio and then use an adapter to install a USB port wherever I want it?

I have the 8.4 RA3.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's the old style mini USB connector on the back of the radio, so yes, you could. Would need a mini/male via standard usb/female cable. Another option would be to use a USB extension cord from the current location to wherever you want.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
There are 2 types of mini usb. A and B. I'm not sure which one you need. When I replaced the factory deck, I couldn't use the console USB even with the adapter because the console usb also had aux signal with it. Obviously you are doing something different and may have better luck.

OP
OP

2014BigHorn2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks, I'm trying to avoid any cables going to the armrest, so I may try a cable plugged directly to the back of the deck. I'll report results when I have them!

OP
OP

2014BigHorn2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Success! I used an adapter to plug in to the back of the radio, then plugged my iPhone cable into the adapter. Works like it should!

I have my phone in a ProClip mount just above the radio with the cable coming through a grommet I installed. Much better than fighting the connection in the armrest IMO.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I replaced my factory radio and used a Maestro USB converter to make it work with an aftermarket stereo, however, the Kenwood I have said it's not a compatible USB device.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I guess some are labeled as a hub and some direct port.

I still have the factory USB chip board. Can send that to you and you can mount that somewhere you see fit! haha

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Success! I used an adapter to plug in to the back of the radio, then plugged my iPhone cable into the adapter. Works like it should!

I have my phone in a ProClip mount just above the radio with the cable coming through a grommet I installed. Much better than fighting the connection in the armrest IMO.

could you provide a link to what you used? id like to do the same thing

OP
OP

2014BigHorn2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
could you provide a link to what you used? id like to do the same thing

I bought one of these - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZMYEMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I unplugged the factory USB connection from the back of the radio and then plugged the above adapter into the back of the radio. Then plugged my iPhone cable directly in to the adapter.

The mount I am using is this one - ProClip Center Mount - Extra strength mounting platform | ProClip USA

With this iPhone dock - Adjustable iPhone Holder for Lightning to USB Cable | ProClip USA

I just drilled a hole big enough for the lightning cable to pass through just to the left of the mount. Looks and works great IMO.

OP
OP

2014BigHorn2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is a pic of the mount and where the wire comes through the dash -

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 42