Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a '17 tradesmen. Does anyone have an aftermarket remote start? What's a good brand for the money. Not looking for a alarm/ starter just a remote start, since winter is gonna be rollin in soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following. Same here I need one too, except I don't have a key fob with buttons. Mine is literally just a key, but I DO have power locks. Anyone got a suggestion for that too?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Following. Same here I need one too, except I don't have a key fob with buttons. Mine is literally just a key, but I DO have power locks. Anyone got a suggestion for that too?

I would get a Viper Alarm system with remote start... Way better of a range than OEM.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went oem and don't regret it.

Did you already have a key fob? If so, makes sense. Without it, a Viper alarm will provide either 1/2 a mile to a mile range.

If I didn't have the factory setup with a fob, I would do a Viper. 2/5 times when I go to remote start my OEM starter on the truck from my office it doesn't start (with my last truck with Viper, 100% of the time it started).

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you already have a key fob? If so, makes sense. Without it, a Viper alarm will provide either 1/2 a mile to a mile range.

If I didn't have the factory setup with a fob, I would do a Viper. 2/5 times when I go to remote start my OEM starter on the truck from my office it doesn't start (with my last truck with Viper, 100% of the time it started).

Sounds like that would be best for me. Do you remember how much your viper was installed?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I had a two way viper alarm/start w/out sentry key, installed for 350$otd and it does have quite a range, definitely every bit of a mile and longer in certain areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm not sure if I wanna go with a system that has its own FOB just for the range or easy of install and only having to use the factory key FOB

hankRam2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How much did that cost you?

It's been a few years but think it was around $600-700 installed with2 key fob. I have never had a single issue with functionality.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah I'm not sure if I wanna go with a system that has its own FOB just for the range or easy of install and only having to use the factory key FOB

Yeah I hear ya man, it definitely does get annoying with two fobs on one ring.

Kenai Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hop on eBay and look up doug43235. He set me up with an OEM kit and a viper 2 way range extender for under $250. All plug and play easy install. Tell him what you have, I included the vin number so there was no guessing involved and he will suggest exactly what works. Also, tell him "Steve from Alaska" sent you. Won't get you a discount. But, his business is based on word of mouth.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would also say do the ebay link above that is Doug. the viper kit will utilize the factory remote. you will press the lock button 3x and it will start. TONS TONS of people on this board have used him and are happy with the unit. plug and play you can install it by yourself. the biggest downfall is you are still limited in the range from the factory fob. but a way you can solve this is you could always add a smart start to it and use your phone as the remote for long range starting.

the factory unit has to be installed , then programmed by a dealer. this one you are still limited to the range of the fob, but you can NOT add the u-connect phone app to it either.

Kenai Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would also say do the ebay link above that is Doug. the viper kit will utilize the factory remote. you will press the lock button 3x and it will start. TONS TONS of people on this board have used him and are happy with the unit. plug and play you can install it by yourself. the biggest downfall is you are still limited in the range from the factory fob. but a way you can solve this is you could always add a smart start to it and use your phone as the remote for long range starting.

the factory unit has to be installed , then programmed by a dealer. this one you are still limited to the range of the fob, but you can NOT add the u-connect phone app to it either.

baum,

Doug programed my 4x10 unit before he shipped it to me. No visit to a dealer was required. The viper kit I bought extended the range and provided me with two remotes. One a two way and the other a one way. The viper kit extends the range up to a mile. Of course that is line of sight with no barriers. However, I am able to start my truck from inside the ER where I work.

My truck is a 2012 Express

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
baum,

Doug programed my 4x10 unit before he shipped it to me. No visit to a dealer was required. The viper kit I bought extended the range and provided me with two remotes. One a two way and the other a one way. The viper kit extends the range up to a mile. Of course that is line of sight with no barriers. However, I am able to start my truck from inside the ER where I work.

My truck is a 2012 Express

Thanks guys. Just ordered this from Ebay Doug for my 2010. To get my truck cool from the Texas heat before My family and I jump in it was worth the sacrifice of hauling 2 Fobs around. I can’t wait to get this baby installed.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Thanks guys. Just ordered this from Ebay Doug for my 2010. To get my truck cool from the Texas heat before My family and I jump in it was worth the sacrifice of hauling 2 Fobs around. I can’t wait to get this baby installed.

Follow-up: Holy cow, first off Ebay Doug was super easy to deal with. He pre-programmed the fobs, printed out and highlighted what needed connections and where, and it was a 10 minute install. PIECE OF CAKE. I tested it out to 1/4 mile. Amazing, and the fob is as small and thinner than the factory key.

This was money well-spent.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
^ small 2-way FOB, lock/unlock and start. Had mine set for 30 min engine run and have verified range thru Central Texas hill country of more than 1/4 mile distance. It took 10 minutes to install. 1 splice, 2 plugs, and routing the antenna cable. Boom. "Ebay Doug" will set you up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye