Remote Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a remote start on my ram but the range sucks. does anyone know is the range based on the key (sender) or something in the truck (receiver). If its the key not sending a strong signal couldn't you just buy a stronger sender and program it for you vehicle ie...a viper remote and use that. Or do you do something to the truck. Any advise on this issue.:pepper:

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of range are you getting? I think the manual says 300 feet line of sight. Which is about what I get.

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know my range is less than that, terrible!! I can be walking towards my ram at 75 feet and it still won't remote start!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find that if I wait about a second between button pushes it works better/further. I also hold it up higher when I do it.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Distance will lower with less battery life.

OP
OP
tkyle486

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know the feet but ive even tried holding it under my chin to get some distance. Over all its hit or miss there has to be a way to improve the range without buying a new remote car starter.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
aftermarket ftw.......I can start my truck from 4K miles away. :D

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you can send me your remote and I can start it from up here in washington? Lol that's sweet

A modder is never truly done, he is merely delayed!

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
So you can send me your remote and I can start it from up here in washington? Lol that's sweet

A modder is never truly done, he is merely delayed!

LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
tkyle486

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looks like im getting a vipper alarm/remote start

OP
OP
tkyle486

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok just changed the battery hope it works. If not looks like the wife can get me the viper set up in Apr when its not cold outside and i don't need the remote start to heat my truck up...but atleast i will have a better alarm.

merlin3606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have viper smartstart module hooked to the dball and harness and can unlock lock and start the car from anywhere.

AGZ951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
******I have viper smartstart module hooked to the dball and harness and can unlock lock and start the car from anywhere.********

I know this is an older thread, but I saw this reply from Merlin and had a couple questions. I have a 2013 Laramie with the remote start. Is this Viper Smart Start Module compatible with my factory remote start? If so, anyone have any instructions on installing the module?

Andy

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
No I don't think it is. Direct owns Viper, Autostart and a few others. I doubt they will cross over to the factory set up.

Viper is it's own deal.

The Direct Smart Start option is a $250 add-on here. This is over the top of your compatible remote starter.

Also required is a $188 3 year subscription. It works on data from your phone. If you have a cell signal, and so does the truck, you can start it from anywhere.

The module is the Direct Smart Start ASMC200. There is one other one as well by them. There is a list of which is compatible with what and none say Dodge, Ford, or Chev. Just the different types of aftermarket remote starter alarm systems.

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure you would have to use the db-all interface and just connect the smart start to it. You don't need to buy a remote start unit, the db-all unit has that capability.... just no remote control (uses factory fob...and smart start your phone).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
******I have viper smartstart module hooked to the dball and harness and can unlock lock and start the car from anywhere.********

I know this is an older thread, but I saw this reply from Merlin and had a couple questions. I have a 2013 Laramie with the remote start. Is this Viper Smart Start Module compatible with my factory remote start? If so, anyone have any instructions on installing the module?

Andy

If you have a '13 why dont you just use the u-connect app on your phone? It works the same way as the smartstart.

nice thing is with the u-connect app it will activate your heated seats, steering wheel, and defrost. the db-all way does not/ cant. with a db-all you have to have your heat turned on when you leave your car.

The db-all w/smart start is a great way to do it if you dont have the factory r/s with u-connect. you can use the factory fob (you hit the lock button 3x) for short range and the smartstart app for longer range (i had this setup on my '11 durango that i traded for my ram).