Remote Start - Activate the key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copperhead7310

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new 14 has remote start. I know how to get it to start, 2x on the key fob, etc.. but once I get into the truck it says 'activate the key'

The salesman said to turn the key twice quickly I am just wondering how far to turn it. Do I go all the way over to the start position 2x ? So, On, ACC, RUN, Start, then RUN and back to Start ?

If I go Run / ACC it turns off.

I just wanted to ask before I go to Start with it running, I didnt want it to make that grinding sound like when you start a car that's already running. .. "KKKKRRRKKRRKKRRRRKK !" Know what I mean?

Thanks.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
With any remote start you just turn to start once and it disables the remote start feature and the truck will remain running like you used the key to start it

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Copperhead7310

Copperhead7310

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, the salesman was kinda squirreley and smelled weird so I didnt keep him around long.. I didnt ask him to repeat but he told me something about turn the key twice (?) But if it's just over to start and done, easy enough.

Thanks.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha that's funny. Most of them a squirrelly and smell weird. As stated, just hop in and turn the key like you are starting it and it will stay running. It won't engage the starter if it is already running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use mine all the time. Get in, put the key in and turn it to run and you're good to go.

I found that a lot of the salesmen I talked to in researching and looking at the Ram's didn't know what the hell they were talking about most of the time. I talked to 5 different dealers (3 - local, 1 - 2 hrs away, 1 - another state where I ended up buying from), and all of them told me different stories on the same package truck. The one I ended up buying from was the best to deal with and obviously gave me the best price on the truck I found.

OP
OP
Copperhead7310

Copperhead7310

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was shocked at how many dealers just ignored me. I looked in about a 300 mile radius, stayed patient and found the exact truck I wanted for a great price. They gave me about $1k more for my trade too.. I cant complain but the salesman just didnt know a lot about the Rams. I traded an Express without remote start so I just wanted to make sure I knew how it worked.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there have been a lot of times where i went to a dealer and had to "teach" the salesmen about the car i want.

on the flip side think about how many cars dodge offers. each model.. (ex ram 1500 outdoorsman, SLT, ......)

OP
OP
Copperhead7310

Copperhead7310

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I understand. They do have a lot to remember and it could be 2x turn on another model (?) Who knows, I just didnt want to knock a couple teeth off my starter solenoid and / or flex plate by hitting that key a second time. That would suck.

Id rather ask and be sure. The sales guy did work hard for me and got me a good deal I guess. He just smelled like onions.

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on the flip side think about how many cars dodge offers. each model.. (ex ram 1500 outdoorsman, SLT, ......)

Hey guys I found the reason why Ram is making their 2016 laramie tailgate logo so big. This guy...

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I found the reason why Ram is making their 2016 laramie tailgate logo so big. This guy...

Dodge/Ram still = Fiat
Acura still = Honda
Saturn still = GM

The BIG 3 are not separate companies, no matter how they spell it out. NEVER an excuse worthy enough to justify the ugly R A M across tailgate.