remote start with low fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ok. It's 16 degrees earlier today. I hit the start on uconnect, get outside and its cold. I had forgotten to get gas. Later I used the remote to start it and it starts but shuts right off. Of course it occurs to me that I'm still low on fuel.
Now, I now the remote start doesn't work when it's low on fuel and I procrastinated getting gas. But can someone explain why the hell the truck starts just to shut off .these guys are actual engineers?

Saltbreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I seem to run into this problem after my wife drives the truck and is too lazy to fill it up. The first time I thought something was wrong with remote start. I agree though if it's low on fuel why even bother starting to just turn off immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its got to start to boot the computer so it can read the fuel gauge and make the shut down decision.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its a safety feature so you dont run out of gas by using the remote start

Saltbreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
That's a good thing then. Since my wife loves to leave the truck with 1/4 tank for me

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lesson... Dont let Wifey drive your Ram. mine has driven my ram once in the year we have owned it.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would have rather taken the risk. I know exactly where I was . I was only 1/2 mile from a gas station. My light just went on so.....I would have had plenty of fuel to warm the truck up and then some, but it shuts off.

its a safety feature so you dont run out of gas by using the remote start

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Then the computer should boot without starting it to do its "checks" Just venting :)

Its got to start to boot the computer so it can read the fuel gauge and make the shut down decision.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have rather taken the risk. I know exactly where I was . I was only 1/2 mile from a gas station. My light just went on so.....I would have had plenty of fuel to warm the truck up and then some, but it shuts off.

your truck doesnt know that your that close.

its the engineers way of putting a fail safe in so you dont run it out of gas and blame it on dodge when you are stranded

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well.....everybody keeps saying how smart these trucks are. Run out of fuel and be stranded or freeze to death......whats the difference? :)

your truck doesnt know that your that close.

its the engineers way of putting a fail safe in so you dont run it out of gas and blame it on dodge when you are stranded

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just go put some gas in it. Or walk outside and put your key in and start it. Problem solved.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD

I would disagree with this. On the basis that if your alarm was tripped the truck won't start. Therefore it at least checks in with the BCM prior to start. It also has to do a boot on the ECU which would in turn query the TCU about park status prior to activating the starter, fuel injection, etc. It definitely primes the fuel pump prior to kicking over, so you know the electronics are hot.

I would say some engineer should have called that subroutine a few lines of code earlier...

The other thing is, hindsight is 20/20, but they could have done an optional flash update on older tucks if you happened to be in for service/maintenance, and the newer trucks could have been sent out with it from the factory.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would disagree with this. On the basis that if your alarm was tripped the truck won't start. Therefore it at least checks in with the BCM prior to start. It also has to do a boot on the ECU which would in turn query the TCU about park status prior to activating the starter, fuel injection, etc. It definitely primes the fuel pump prior to kicking over, so you know the electronics are hot.

I would say some engineer should have called that subroutine a few lines of code earlier...

The other thing is, hindsight is 20/20, but they could have done an optional flash update on older tucks if you happened to be in for service/maintenance, and the newer trucks could have been sent out with it from the factory.

Or you could keep gas in it and get on with your life...

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Or you could keep gas in it and get on with your life...

I never let my truck go below 1/4 tank, so I am not sure why you are pointing that at me...?

I was just offering input to the discussion regarding the truck's startup sequence. I agree that it is a relatively insignificant topic, but that doesn't mean people can't talk about it, and share information.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never let my truck go below 1/4 tank, so I am not sure why you are pointing that at me...?

I was just offering input to the discussion regarding the truck's startup sequence. I agree that it is a relatively insignificant topic, but that doesn't mean people can't talk about it, and share information.

It is possible it starts and stops to let you know that it is operational and you are within range, but there is a problem that is preventing it from operating. If you tried the remote start and nothing happened, you might keep trying or you would want to check and see if the truck could start at all.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Good point. That isn't something that had crossed my mind!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I think your over thinking a issue that really is just user error.:favorites13: