Remote start options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Palifter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I'm sure this topic gets brought up a lot but when using the search function, everything I'm finding is from years ago.

So question is, is it really worth spending $500 or so to have my Dodge dealer install a remote start with everything on one fob, or are there aftermarket kits worth mentioning to save me money? Having an additional fob isn't a deal breaker for me if the price is right.

Thanks,

Connor

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I'm sure this topic gets brought up a lot but when using the search function, everything I'm finding is from years ago.

So question is, is it really worth spending $500 or so to have my Dodge dealer install a remote start with everything on one fob, or are there aftermarket kits worth mentioning to save me money? Having an additional fob isn't a deal breaker for me if the price is right.

Thanks,

Connor

Would've liked a factory one,but it just wasn't in the budget at the time and that was with me doing the install.I went with the DBall2 that uses your factory remote(3x lock to start).I wanted plug and play so there was no evidence of an install if a warr issue came up.I can remove it in about 10 min.Short range is the only issue,but it works for me.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I personally do not think it is worth it. I went with the Directed 4x10 with their harness and the SmartStart module. It cost me $275 total and I can use the factory fob or my phone (the service is $75/yr). If you don't want the phone app, you're under $200 with no subscription fee. The best part is that I didn't have to deal with the dealer.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the factory one and it is killer! It turns on the windshield defroster, heated seats/steering wheel and outside mirrors when it is 40 degrees or below regardless of where the control settings are set. Also, when it is 80 degrees out or above, it automatically turns on the A/C.
If the dealer installed remote start can do all that for you and your truck, then YES!!!!,...it is very worth it!
Good luck!

OP
OP
P

Palifter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally do not think it is worth it. I went with the Directed 4x10 with their harness and the SmartStart module. It cost me $275 total and I can use the factory fob or my phone (the service is $75/yr). If you don't want the phone app, you're under $200 with no subscription fee. The best part is that I didn't have to deal with the dealer.

Did you install that yourself?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the factory one and it is killer! It turns on the windshield defroster, heated seats/steering wheel and outside mirrors when it is 40 degrees or below regardless of where the control settings are set. Also, when it is 80 degrees out or above, it automatically turns on the A/C.

If the dealer installed remote start can do all that for you and your truck, then YES!!!!,...it is very worth it!

Good luck!

Man, I wish my 08 did all that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you install that yourself?

Yes. With the plug and play harness, it's quite simple. I've installed several over the years and the installation on the newer vehicles is so much easier than it used to be.

OP
OP
P

Palifter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. With the plug and play harness, it's quite simple. I've installed several over the years and the installation on the newer vehicles is so much easier than it used to be.

Would you be able to link me to a guide of some sort if there is such a thing?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Good luck!

The dealer installed one works just like if it had come from the factory. The exception is that (I think) it will not be accessible via the UConnect phone app like the factory one is.

The Directed ones give you basically the same functionality, though. You do need to make sure you leave the HVAC set to what you want before you shut off the truck, but that's it. I have mine set to turn on the rear defroster (mirrors). You can also enable the heated seats and (I think) the wheel. I didn't activate that option though because I have my truck set to turn those on automatically already.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Would you be able to link me to a guide of some sort if there is such a thing?

Here's the manual from the manufacturer. It's really designed to be installed by a pro, so there's a lot of other stuff in there.

https://directechs.blob.core.windows.net/documents/dds-chrysler6_fsg_en_nf20161201.pdf

You also need a dealer account to access the system that allows you to clone your key. I highly recommend buying from an eBay seller "doug43235". He will provide you with temporary credentials as well as simplified instructions. He's also available for support if you have issues. This is the exact listing I bought from:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/291815543585?_mwBanner=1

To give you and overview, you get a T-harness that allows you to make most of the connections. You need to unplug your ignition switch and plug the harness in between. Then you need to unclip your diagnostic port, plug it into the harness, and take the new port from the harness and clip it into where the old one is. Finally, you hook the module up to your computer so it can clone your key and make the truck think it's in the ignition when you're starting via remote. There is an optional connection to have the parking lights turn on when you remote start (you have to tap a wire behind the headlight switch), but the harness has everything that is mandatory for basic functionality. Once it's all plugged in you just need to secure the module under the dash somewhere and mount the toggle switch to enable/disable it.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck!

using the DBALL 2 you can program the seats and defroster to come on at different temps (actually adjustable for what temp the start at where as factory is 40°f the seats you can program high or low).

the biggest downfall to any of the factory, dball2/idatalink (3x start) is you are still using the factory fob which limits your range. i would say i usually never get more than 150-200' away for my truck to start with a factory unit.

OP if i was in your shoes i would look at the dball, t-harness, and smartstart or the idatalink, t-harness, and drone. Both work the same where you press the lock button 3x and the truck will start, use this for short range, then use the phone app for long range starting. the biggest downfall to the app piece is they are based off of cell phone and if there is no coverage there is no service.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
using the DBALL 2 you can program the seats and defroster to come on at different temps (actually adjustable for what temp the start at where as factory is 40°f the seats you can program high or low).

the biggest downfall to any of the factory, dball2/idatalink (3x start) is you are still using the factory fob which limits your range. i would say i usually never get more than 150-200' away for my truck to start with a factory unit.

OP if i was in your shoes i would look at the dball, t-harness, and smartstart or the idatalink, t-harness, and drone. Both work the same where you press the lock button 3x and the truck will start, use this for short range, then use the phone app for long range starting. the biggest downfall to the app piece is they are based off of cell phone and if there is no coverage there is no service.

The Directed systems can be extended with a long range 2-way RF fob instead of the SmartStart. You have to carry the extra fob, but there's no subscription and lack of cell coverage isn't an issue.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah,.....I know about changing the settings in the UConnect, but I like them the way they from factory. It works for me, the temps are pretty good for me.
As far as range goes, you're right. The keyfob only works a certain distance. I can always get the UConnect app or whatever it is on my cellphone, but that is very expensive and not really worth it for the price you are paying. (In my opinion anyways.) It would really come in handy during the winter months here from December-March. But, I can just take a walk out back 10 minutes before my shift ends and fire her up via keyfob. :favorites13:

Aries1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I order a Flashlogic remote start lastnight off of Amazon for $120 including the flash module. I should have it right after Xmas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock