Remote start question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can most likely bring the truck to any car shop that does remote starts and tell them the issues you are facing and see what programming can be done. Programming is just a matter of removing the module and plugging it into a computer via a special data cable for that module (if it is just a module which is should be) if it is a whole RS brain than most programming can be done inside the car with the valet switch.

Not all audio shops carry the same modules so he may not be able to. also since they didnt do the install they may charge a fee to work on it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can most likely bring the truck to any car shop that does remote starts and tell them the issues you are facing and see what programming can be done. Programming is just a matter of removing the module and plugging it into a computer via a special data cable for that module (if it is just a module which is should be) if it is a whole RS brain than most programming can be done inside the car with the valet switch.

I would never work on a R/S that someone else installed.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not all audio shops carry the same modules so he may not be able to. also since they didnt do the install they may charge a fee to work on it.

I was suggesting this as an option. If he were to bring it to a shop, they can at least point him in a direction if they are honest. Two common modules are DEI and iDataLink which many shops carry in my experience. But you are right, different areas carry different things and a shop charge is almost guaranteed as you said. Everyone wants to make money. If he were on Long Island where I am, I carry a DEI cable in my toolbox for programming and mobile installs and I would be able to reprogram no problem.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would never work on a R/S that someone else installed.

That is a pet peeve I have as well but unfortunately it is a issue that is hard to avoid. When I do work in a shop, we usually offer to replace what is there at a minimal cost so that we can know it is correct when we do it. When I do things like this on the side, I try to make the best of what is in front of me. Dealing with an other person's mess is always a headache. Ideally, bringing it to the installer is the best option.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have problems now too with the one they put in.

Sometimes if I open the back seat door, it shuts off.

And often times when I get in, put the truck in drive or reverse the truck instantly stalls out and I have to restart it.

So pissed.

I already called them insisting this wasn't the factory unit they assured me it's a mopar module. Where would the module itself be so I can look for myself?

I would look under the dash and see what you can trace back to what module. This issue of opening the doors and putting it in gear and having it shut off is SO annoying. I actually had this issue on my 2015 and then I changed the engine checking option to tach. I would presume that engine checking may be on voltage. Voltage engine checking does this on DEI modules on our trucks. Where are you located?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a pet peeve I have as well but unfortunately it is a issue that is hard to avoid. When I do work in a shop, we usually offer to replace what is there at a minimal cost so that we can know it is correct when we do it. When I do things like this on the side, I try to make the best of what is in front of me. Dealing with an other person's mess is always a headache. Ideally, bringing it to the installer is the best option.

I usually charge extra to fix someone else's mess. I know we will charge you extra to remove an alarm and to put in a new one. We got burned one too many times not to be charging extra.

Not an alarm, but once had a guy saying he paid a ton of money and his system sounded like crap. Took a quick look and found out the installers had mounted the amp in the steering column (could literally see it from drive site looking into the dash).... quoted him accordingly to fix that mess but never saw him again.... thankfully... who knows what else was going in there.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I usually charge extra to fix someone else's mess. I know we will charge you extra to remove an alarm and to put in a new one. We got burned one too many times not to be charging extra.

Not an alarm, but once had a guy saying he paid a ton of money and his system sounded like crap. Took a quick look and found out the installers had mounted the amp in the steering column (could literally see it from drive site looking into the dash).... quoted him accordingly to fix that mess but never saw him again.... thankfully... who knows what else was going in there.

Our shop usually does free removal if they buy our parts and have us install and then going forward we will remove it for them for free. Its a nice thing the shop does but they always try to take an extra step to keep customers coming back.
ME on the other hand, I try to squeeze money out of people as best as I can. Ive gone as far as (in my younger money hustling days) charging 25-35 bucks to give you a second remote for a RS or alarm and we both know that almost all systems come with two. I dont do that anymore as I just do it on the side for side cash.
If you and I sat down and shared horror stories, we would probably be there for hours.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our shop usually does free removal if they buy our parts and have us install and then going forward we will remove it for them for free. Its a nice thing the shop does but they always try to take an extra step to keep customers coming back.
ME on the other hand, I try to squeeze money out of people as best as I can. Ive gone as far as (in my younger money hustling days) charging 25-35 bucks to give you a second remote for a RS or alarm and we both know that almost all systems come with two. I dont do that anymore as I just do it on the side for side cash.
If you and I sat down and shared horror stories, we would probably be there for hours.

I could add many more horror stories also! 12+ years in many shops. i have everything from big box stores to high end custom (building usaci cars) to shops in the inner city (where most sales are cash for some reason, these were usually the best paying stores and best tips)..

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My OEM remote control with remote start button works as follows:
press remot start button twice
car honks twice, then start after approx one second (honking can be switched off in the EVIC)
Will start only when doors are closed and locked, if only closed it will lock the doors
Chris

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@BrooklynBravest

As said, they definitely did not install the Mopar remote start.

Here is some reference material that I hope helps you out: The full OEM Mopar remote start install instructions for a 2013 truck (2013-2016 are practically identical).

https://www.mediafire.com/download/lsm4yjww2ey5g6m

If you go to www.AllMoparParts.com you can find the PN for the official Mopar kits for your truck or contact Benny (they are a preferred vendor here).

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I went under the dash and found the unit. It's some ADS plug and play cheap nonsense.

I've called them a few times they claim they're working on resolving the matter. I called the manager, next is the owner if I don't get results

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went under the dash and found the unit. It's some ADS plug and play cheap nonsense.

I've called them a few times they claim they're working on resolving the matter. I called the manager, next is the owner if I don't get results

ads is not some cheap nonsense. its a bypass module for aftermarket remote starts/alarms. however it can also be programmed as a "add-on" remote start like in your case. IMO it sounds like it was not programmed correctly. I had the exact same setup in my '11 durango and never had issues with it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As Baum said, the iDatalink ADS is not cheap nonsense. It is arguably the best module on the market.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As Baum said, the iDatalink ADS is not cheap nonsense. It is arguably the best module on the market.

Cheap or not it definitely isn't working right

I fought with them for a few days and they're ordering me the OEM module and will install it when the part comes in.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cheap or not it definitely isn't working right

I fought with them for a few days and they're ordering me the OEM module and will install it when the part comes in.

Good thing they are stepping up for you. Its as simple as the dealer didnt want to fork out the cash for an expensive rs module, fobs, and all so they went the cheap route and it burned them