Replace Halogen in Quad headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What should i replace my Halogen bulbs with? I want something bright as ****. HID, LED, Silverstar, what does you guys recommenced. Also with easiest installation preferable :)

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hid's are going to give you the best output. Led's are bright but don't have the distance that Hid's have. Led's are getting better, but just not there yet.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is a good kit to look at? Also 1500, how did you paint your lights?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Some have good luck with ddm most go through jj (retroshop.us) and get morimoto's. You will pay more for through jj but I think what he sells is higher end. Plus his service is excellent. He'll answer any questions and walk you through the installation if needed.

As far as my headlights I baked them open. I think I did 250° for 10 minutes at a time. Took 3 tries on the first and 2 for the 2nd headlight. Then used spray paint.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
If you are going to open them up to paint, you might as well add the morimoto mini H1 projector. Then you can paint the reflector dishes in there too. Plus the HID in a projector will put out amazing light without blinding oncoming traffic.

Reactions: PCT

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hid's are going to give you the best output. Led's are bright but don't have the distance that Hid's have. Led's are getting better, but just not there yet.

I agree with this, I have had both and LED's are nice as far as not warming up and not having ballasts. However, the light distance was not as good. As far as install, LED is easier as there are no ballasts and less clutter.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about our prefered vendor Nlight? That projector looks dope, how does it work? This may be a dumb question but if i paint the light with out projectors and paint over the "chrome" reflector will it not work?

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What about our prefered vendor Nlight? That projector looks dope, how does it work? Also if i paint the light will it not work if i paint over the reflector?
If you don't add to projectors, you wouldn't be able to paint the bowl of the housing. You'll still be able to paint the trim part of the light without losing output and gain a custom headlight. But as stated above, if you're going through the trouble of opening the headlights you might as well add projectors.

Jj (retroshop) sells the required parts and will tell you what will work best. Retrosolutions sells the same stuff as jj but I have heard that there customer service is hit or miss. Pricing should be relatively close between the two. Or eBay parts.

Hid's with projectors will give you the best output. Not all projectors are created equally. Most if not all aftermarket headlights w/projectors and ram's oem projectors are halogen projectors (there is a difference). Hid's will still work in them but won't be as clear as a projector designed for Hid's.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok sounds good. With the H1 mini's, do i still need to buy the bulbs, or do they utilize whats in the housing at the time? I like those i may switch those out sooner than later. Also i have quad head lights would i need to buy 2 sets?

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes you would need to buy bulbs and I suggest 5000's as that is the whitest light in the HID spectrum. Im not sure what fits in the quads but I believe for the most part people replace the low beam and call it good.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Ok sounds good. With the H1 mini's, do i still need to buy the bulbs, or do they utilize whats in the housing at the time? I like those i may switch those out sooner than later. Also i have quad head lights would i need to buy 2 sets?
I'm not sure what size bulbs they use (should say on jj's site). You'd only need 2 unless you wanted your highs to be in projectors also. It's not needed, more for looks, although you may gain output. And with hid's you'll probably never use your high beams again. I know I helped you on your led bar setup but can't remember if you have one triggered by your high beams. If you do you may want to add at least led's for highs

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
The mini H1 are bi-xenon, meaning it functions as low and high beams by switching a plate inside the projector itself. You will have projector high beam and quad high beam lit at the same time. Personally, I would seal up the OEM high beam and smooth out the dish. The headlight bulbs will be H1 base. And as Etroze said, 5000K is a great color temp. You may have to use a dremel to cut off the OEM bulb socket to get the H1 shaft to fit. Its threaded so you get a big washer and screw it in.

You will only need a 2nd set of quads if you think its going to take a long time to accomplish.

Or get with JJ and have him do it all for you. Its well worth the money to avoid the hassle IMO.