Replace head unit but keep HVAC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I am interested in replacing my head unit on my 2014 with the Alpine system. What I am running in to is the HVAC controls are integrated in the head unit so I can't figure out a way to retain that feature.

Ideally I would get a head unit that has Android Auto and can interface with the factory USB, SD connections in the center console also. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just replaced my non alpine 8.4 with an Alpine ILX-207. You need the iDatalink module and the Chrysler harness to interface with the OE controls and the deck needs to be iDatalink compatable. Once the module is programmed and wired up you should have control of the HVAC, approach lighting, etc from the replacement unit. If you buy from Crutchfield they should ship you everything you need, however, don't bother with the USB retention harness/board if you want Android Auto or Carplay to work. There is also no way to retain the SD card solt that I have seen. The stock USB cable just isn't up to par so I replaced my 12v port with a USB/HDMI socket and connected those straight into the radio. Still looks factory and gave me what I was looking for. I'd also suggest ordering a custom harness to retain your GPS antenna so that you don't have to mount one somewhere under/on the dash or the roof.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ This. Any Maestro compatible radio should retain your AC controls, plus many other factory features, and some you didn't have before. Search on here for the Kenwood 9903 - it is great unit.