Replace OEM radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Hey everyone in October I got my first truck a 2016 ram quad cab. I'm in love with this truck but I have the base radio and I would like to upgrade to after market and something with apple CarPlay. I can't seem to find much other than OEM upgrades and I'm not sure if I want to got that route. Has anyone come across pics or videos of aftermarket stereo installs on a newer ram ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone in October I got my first truck a 2016 ram quad cab. I'm in love with this truck but I have the base radio and I would like to upgrade to after market and something with apple CarPlay. I can't seem to find much other than OEM upgrades and I'm not sure if I want to got that route. Has anyone come across pics or videos of aftermarket stereo installs on a newer ram ?

Hello. There are lots of different manufacturers that make 7" in-dash aftermarket stereos. You would just need the correct dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter to make it all fit and work.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Hello. There are lots of different manufacturers that make 7" in-dash aftermarket stereos. You would just need the correct dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter to make it all fit and work.

Ok is there any website that I can view to view them also go with the dash kit and harnesses?

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
This is the radio I'm looking into with setup. b48912ac2bb9af34118f26a505e4a20d.jpg4376e9b3aa3d3c3ee5ad1500e76e377a.jpg01b66c29293edeb9c3bd1d3da2e4898c.jpg

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it all depends on what your likes really are. i would suggest going to a few stores and playing with different radios as ones that someone on here may recommend you may not like certain features or the ui.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
also depends on how deep your wallet is.

There was a guy that just installed a Kenwood unit and it retained alot of the OEM features. i believe the unit was $1200.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Went to some stores today I went ahead and ordered from crutchfield that same unit that I posted above the the highest kit so I can retain steering wheel controls and my center console USB and aux inputs. I'm just hoping the installation goes smooth. They say I have to cut the lower bar on the radio support. Was trying to figure out the best way to do this

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to some stores today I went ahead and ordered from crutchfield that same unit that I posted above the the highest kit so I can retain steering wheel controls and my center console USB and aux inputs. I'm just hoping the installation goes smooth. They say I have to cut the lower bar on the radio support. Was trying to figure out the best way to do this

You can use a dremel with cut-off wheel or even a sawzall to cut that piece. It is really easy. I just put a towel down so it caught most of the metal shavings from cutting.

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
You can use a dremel with cut-off wheel or even a sawzall to cut that piece. It is really easy. I just put a towel down so it caught most of the metal shavings from cutting.

Great thanks. I will deff be posting pics once I get the stuff. It all shipped out today

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Side question. Do these aftermarket kits allow one to still control all of the heat/AC controls as well, since not everything (such as selecting airflow) can be controlled through the knobs and switches?

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
So I did the swap with the kit from crutch field. I can't say enough about there customer service ! They got me through the install no problem and I came out great !
d632c12e169e677d6efad43bd339d3dd.jpg

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
That looks class,have you a back up camera hooked up to it?

OP
OP
curryb15

curryb15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
That looks class,have you a back up camera hooked up to it?

No the backup camera is still hooked to my rear view mirror. When I get some time I will get a 2nd camera and run it to the radio

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How hard was this install?

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Where did you find the directions to disassemble the dash? Did you just have to take the console apart around the radio or did the whole dash have to come off? TIA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have swapped out a stock base ram radio and installed a ram gps/hdd unit. you take the 2 screws out from the top, and the bezel around the shifter...and the whole center console comes off. youtube it and you'll find directions. it's not very difficult at all. then the radio is just held in by 4 screws