Running speaker wiring in to doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KBExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How the hell do you get a speaker wire in to the door?? I can't get the grommet off, nor can i figure out how i'm going to get the wire through it once I do. Anyone have any tips??

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've not removed the door grommet from the this truck in particular, but every other grommet I've met was just a pressure fit collar inside of the hole. I little persuasion at least half way around and they should pop out.
Either way, after you get the grommets out, if you need larger gauge wire you'll have to use a wire snake or a straightened coat hanger with the wire taped well to the end. GENTLY wiggle/push it through the wire boot.
*You'd be surprised how many really high-end, stealth installs re-use factory wiring into doors just because of this. If you can remove the door card (inner door panel) and the door speaker to check the wire colors, trace them after they come into the cab (under the dash) and tap into them there. Yeah, its not 14 gauge wire, but how much power were you going to feed them anyway?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
solder or tape the new wire to the old, pull it through the door.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Curious myself?
Was looking to get to something else in the door and pulled the door panel off and kick panels but can't even see the grommet where it goes in/out of the body. Looks like it is hidden behind the parking brake bracket?? Not simple like most cars I have messed with.

OP
OP
KBExperience

KBExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious myself?
Was looking to get to something else in the door and pulled the door panel off and kick panels but can't even see the grommet where it goes in/out of the body. Looks like it is hidden behind the parking brake bracket?? Not simple like most cars I have messed with.

I did get it in, but you have to run it from the door in to the car and hope you get it throughout that's what I did! :)

rizzleram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had pretty good luck using zip ties and a coat hanger to coax the speaker wire through the grommet.

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
since the 4th gen dodges can come with the alpine system all of the doors are allready wired to have aftermarket speakers in all trucks theres a little fun fact

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you mean?

I think he means they run wires for door speakers, overhead rear speakers etc regardless of which model you buy. It's cheaper and easier for Dodge to use 1 harness with all the wires, than try to keep track of many models which would differ, while building them.
If you don't have the Alpine system or want aftermarket speakers there should be wire for you to use.